Diva vs Reaktor - which one sounds the most analog?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Mutant wrote:Take 1 analog synth and 1 digital synth.
Make a patch that sounds as close as possible on both, (without trying to prove anything like 1 is better than the other, which i think was the case in that $ motivated DvsO test where in some patches Diva was made to sound better while it was clearly possible to make her sound closer instead).
Post the 2 audio clips on a forum and ask which is analog.
The closer to 50% the number of correct anwers is, the more analog the digital synth sounds (and/or the more digital the analog synth sounds).

Both Diva and Reaktor can get well within that almost or completely indistinguishable from analog area - you just have to know what you are doing.
Pick Diva if you want it easy, pick Reaktor for a bit of learning and way way way more versatility (and yes you can make your Reaktor ensembles polyphonic).
Ofcourse, Reaktor isn't mono. However, Blocks and Monark are. There is an edited patch of Monark which can play polyphony (sort of), but it is buggy (triggering, envelopes, etc) and sucks up all CPU power.

To get really everything (and efficiënt) out of Reaktor, one will have to accept a long learning period. Which can be great. Learning new stuff is always fun. But it can stand in the way of being 100% creative on the arrangement part of music making.

I love both synths/programs. :phones:

Mutant wrote:(and yes you can make your Reaktor ensembles polyphonic).
Blocks (and Monark) are monophonic. So when talking about analog emulation, Reaktor is effectively monophonic.

pdxindy wrote:
Blocks (and Monark) are monophonic. So when talking about analog emulation, Reaktor is effectively monophonic.
Wanna bet ? :D

(never said that it was inside Reaktor that you can do that)
[====[\\\\\\\\]>------,

Ay caramba !

Am I the only person reading this thread and thinking to myself how liberating it is to never waste a moment of my life fretting over how "analog" a digital synth sounds?
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

cryophonik wrote:Am I the only person reading this thread and thinking to myself how liberating it is to never waste a moment of my life fretting over how "analog" a digital synth sounds?
No, you're not alone. I consider myself one of the sane ones as well.

Mutant wrote:Take 1 analog synth and 1 digital synth.
Make a patch that sounds as close as possible on both, (without trying to prove anything like 1 is better than the other, which i think was the case in that $ motivated DvsO test where in some patches Diva was made to sound better while it was clearly possible to make her sound closer instead).
Post the 2 audio clips on a forum and ask which is analog.
The closer to 50% the number of correct anwers is, the more analog the digital synth sounds (and/or the more digital the analog synth sounds).

Both Diva and Reaktor can get well within that almost or completely indistinguishable from analog area - you just have to know what you are doing.
Pick Diva if you want it easy, pick Reaktor for a bit of learning and way way way more versatility (and yes you can make your Reaktor ensembles polyphonic).
ignoring things like the benefits of hardware (i.e no cpu overheard, tactile control etc), and even controlling for things like the listener's listening equipment/environment, recording equipment used for the analog sample, possible compression when uploading files, etc, all an experiment like this proves (if you get the results described) is that you can find certain static settings that sound similar/indistinguishable on both platforms.

surely the better tests are...
1] make a patch on analog that you can't reasonably recreate with software. how many of those patches can you make ? if you can make lots, well... that would say a lot more than finding those that match, as far as I'm concerned.
2] compare 'animated' sound examples ... like filter sweeps, sweeping through envelope settings slowly while triggering notes, oscillator sweeps etc, cross modulation...

your asinine 'omfg...look i got these two sinewaves to look the same!' tests are seriously flawed as far as real world usage goes.

ymmv.
god bless america.

cryophonik wrote:Am I the only person reading this thread and thinking to myself how liberating it is to never waste a moment of my life fretting over how "analog" a digital synth sounds?
No you are not alone

Mutant wrote:
pdxindy wrote:
Wanna bet ? :D
Heh... then my Analog Monosynth is also polyphonic... :lol:

wagtunes wrote:
That is less sane... reading threads about something that does not interest you and then feeling superior to those participating :ud:

Daags wrote:1] make a patch on analog that you can't reasonably recreate with software.
How about make a patch on software that you can't reasonably recreate with analog ?
No ?
Just because it will be unfair to analog ?

What i said in my previous post is about sounds that are useful for making music, that most people who love synthesis find nice to listen to, just like in that DvsO test - not sine waves.

And comparing obvious strenghts and weaknesses is pointless.
Software will lose in tactile control.
Software will win in the number of instances you can spawn if your CPU is powerful enough.

I just wasted 1 minute on saying that the Earth revolves around the Sun...

Compare the sound, because the sound is what is really important.
[====[\\\\\\\\]>------,

Ay caramba !

pdxindy wrote:Heh... then my Analog Monosynth is also polyphonic... :lol:
Yes.
If you are rich enough to "spawn" few instances of the mono synth and clever enough to use a clever MIDI plugin to route different keystrokes to different MIDI channels/outputs, you can make it polyphonic. :D
http://thepiz.org/plugins/?p=pizmidi
(there is also a hardware box for that, i forgot the name now)
Last edited by Mutant on Tue May 03, 2016 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[====[\\\\\\\\]>------,

Ay caramba !

pdxindy wrote:That is less sane... reading threads about something that does not interest you and then feeling superior to those participating :ud:
So does that make him more or less analog than you?

Who cares? :D Just grab any of them which looks more fun, and enjoy making music. :D

pdxindy wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
That is less sane... reading threads about something that does not interest you and then feeling superior to those participating :ud:
I often do that. :oops:

Numanoid wrote:
pdxindy wrote:That is less sane... reading threads about something that does not interest you and then feeling superior to those participating :ud:
So does that make him more or less analog than you?
I am 100% analog... as long as he is not a sophisticated spam bot, then he is too :hihi:

Return to “Instruments”