Izotope Shutter Edit for a 48 hours Sale - What do you think?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Glitchmania Stutter Edit

blortblort wrote:
Sampleconstruct wrote:...
- reducing SE to just another glitch-quencer is missing the fact, that it has a very capable delay, rather good filters, a decent bitcrusher/distortion module, and getting a deep understanding of how the modulation system works helps a lot to create all sorts of mangle machines for fast and slow music or for sound design. It was well worth the money back then, so 50 right bucks seems hilarious, iZotope sure know how to devalue their own stuff.
couldn't have said it better. so glad you stepped in to comment, Simon :D
I watched this thread for some days, but was just to sick to step in - the flue is slowly fading away (or did they test some biological weapons), so my motivation to post on KVR is increasing again :phones:
Last edited by Sampleconstruct on Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:
Sampleconstruct wrote:
kelvyn wrote:@Sim.Sky

Thanks for the heads up on the expansion packs:) Would have missed that otherwise.
+1000. Especially because I wondered if anyone else had released any presets. That brought me to Simon Stockhausen. My lord :o :o I'd never have imagined that he'd be someone that would get much out of what is seemingly such a niche product, but just listening to his soundcloud demo's confirms my suspicion that this plugin is way more capable than the included presets might suggest

Simultaneously blown away, and frustrated (I can't afford to buy them)

http://www.patchpool.de/izotope_shop.html

https://soundcloud.com/sampleconstruct/ ... utter-edit
Cheers for the mention - I produced Glitchmanie 5 years ago, shortly after the release of SE, it took me ages, especially the pitch sequences, but I'm still using those snaps today - reducing SE to just another glitch-quencer is missing the fact, that it has a very capable delay, rather good filters, a decent bitcrusher/distortion module, and getting a deep understanding of how the modulation system works helps a lot to create all sorts of mangle machines for fast and slow music or for sound design. It was well worth the money back then, so 50 right bucks seems hilarious, iZotope sure know how to devalue their own stuff.
No worries man, the set deserves the exposure :tu:

The thing that was so different about much of what I heard from your demo tracks, is that they sounded so much a part of the track as if the audio had been cut up by hand, the old-fashioned way. There were very few moments that jumped out as 'now he's hit the special fx, craziness button'. It just flowed so well

I would definitely like to buy it someday
Well, each set has a topic/theme with 60+ scenes, when producing these demos I either improvised after setting up a basic groove, a simple pad/texture, some vocals, whatever (thus the occasional, often accidentally hit special FX key) or I took more time and edited those impros enhancing the flow and reducing the notorious aha-effects.

Sampleconstruct wrote:
Sampleconstruct wrote:
kelvyn wrote:@Sim.Sky

Thanks for the heads up on the expansion packs:) Would have missed that otherwise.
+1000. Especially because I wondered if anyone else had released any presets. That brought me to Simon Stockhausen. My lord :o :o I'd never have imagined that he'd be someone that would get much out of what is seemingly such a niche product, but just listening to his soundcloud demo's confirms my suspicion that this plugin is way more capable than the included presets might suggest

http://www.patchpool.de/izotope_shop.html

https://soundcloud.com/sampleconstruct/ ... utter-edit
Cheers for the mention - I produced Glitchmanie 5 years ago, shortly after the release of SE, it took me ages, especially the pitch sequences, but I'm still using those snaps today - reducing SE to just another glitch-quencer is missing the fact, that it has a very capable delay, rather good filters, a decent bitcrusher/distortion module, and getting a deep understanding of how the modulation system works helps a lot to create all sorts of mangle machines for fast and slow music or for sound design. It was well worth the money back then, so 50 right bucks seems hilarious, iZotope sure know how to devalue their own stuff.
No worries man, the set deserves the exposure :tu:

The thing that was so different about much of what I heard from your demo tracks, is that they sounded so much a part of the track as if the audio had been cut up by hand, the old-fashioned way. There were very few moments that jumped out as 'now he's hit the special fx, craziness button'. It just flowed so well

I would definitely like to buy it someday
Well, each set has a topic/theme with 60+ scenes, when producing these demos I either improvised after setting up a basic groove, a simple pad/texture, some vocals, whatever (thus the occasional, often accidentally hit special FX key) or I took more time and edited those impros enhancing the flow and reducing the notorious aha-effects.
It worked. Good job!!

Re: Devaluing. It's no different from Waves or Plugin Alliance sticking $299 plugins on special for $49 every other day. Think of the sale price as actual value and the Recommended Retail as "if you can afford it and can't wait til' the next sale" price. In general, most plugins are overpriced when compared to other computer software. In many cases a compressor or limiter plugin costs more than an entire DAW.

Stutter Edit has been around for awhile now so it was high time for a decent sale - and I hope there are more to come!

MogwaiBoy wrote:Stutter Edit has been around for awhile now so it was high time for a decent sale - and I hope there are more to come!
...or Stutter Edit v2 :wink:

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: +1000. Especially because I wondered if anyone else had released any presets. That brought me to Simon Stockhausen. My lord :o :o I'd never have imagined that he'd be someone that would get much out of what is seemingly such a niche product, but just listening to his soundcloud demo's confirms my suspicion that this plugin is way more capable than the included presets might suggest

Yes, thanks for the mention :roll:. After a three minute listening session I had to buy them.

RichN wrote:
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: +1000. Especially because I wondered if anyone else had released any presets. That brought me to Simon Stockhausen. My lord :o :o I'd never have imagined that he'd be someone that would get much out of what is seemingly such a niche product, but just listening to his soundcloud demo's confirms my suspicion that this plugin is way more capable than the included presets might suggest

Yes, thanks for the mention :roll:. After a three minute listening session I had to buy them.
It took you that long? :wink:

Stutter Edit does take a little time to figure out how everything works. But like anything else, you won't know what you have until you get determined to dig in deep and find out. I did. I found out that it's well up to the task of just about any kind of stutter/glitch/fsu or whatever you want to call it.

When I got to the point of programming my own effect patches, that's when I realized just how complex I could make the most ordinary of sounds... and it was addictive!! It's well worth the money I spent when it first came out years ago and it still finds it's way into most of my productions in one way or another. But you have to put in the time to experiment with it.

The presets are a decent place to start but it's capable of so much more. Certainly consider it while it's priced so low. I'm actually pretty hopeful that they'll come out with a version 2 at some point. I remember reading an article quite a while ago where BT mentioned some features that he wanted to implement in a future update of Stutter Edit. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. If I can find that link, I'll post it here. Good luck!!

- M

sadly, someone mentioned that izotope has ceased development of sonik architects products, and appararently it's true. I wouldn't be surprised if sales have been well below what they expected. they marketed it (and breaktweaker) as a shortcut tool to make shitty brostep nonsense, whereas they are actual plugins for music producers. as a result forums were full of people claiming that "breaktweaker doesn't even have swing" (lol?!), or as you can see here, that "stutter edit is lame cause it has no automation" (wtf)...

^ @ acYm - Wow, that would really be a shame. If people would think "outside the box" a little, they would understand that Stutter Edit and BreakTweaker are deep, powerful tools that are well suited for all styles of music and sound design. Maybe it was a mistake to hype up the features that are only attractive to EDM producers.

For example, you don't have to only use drum samples in BreakTweaker... load up a bunch of one-shot vocal recordings with vowels & consonants, then create patterns using the Sequencer and MicroEdit Engine . You talk about never-before-heard sounds and textures... it can get extremely loopy (pardon the pun) very quickly. Or what about loading up a bunch of 'found sounds' or foley hits to create fresh percussive kits and hits? There are so many possibilities and such little time.

For those out there not willing to put in the time to experiment, you'll never know until you try. I understand the current trend of multi-effect plugins that do it all and make it very easy. It's all about instant gratification. But there is so much treasure to be found in pushing these kinds of plugins in directions that maybe even the developers haven't thought of.

In the end, when you're deciding to spend your hard-earned cash on new software, most of us lean towards plugins that are quick and easy to use. And for some people, their paychecks depend on getting work done now and not after you've spent hours going through manuals, etc. For me, I make an honest attempt to get the most out of whatever I purchase because finances are tight right now. Also, the more you know about a certain plugin, the less you might be tempted to buy something else that does some of the same things. Knowledge = less overlap in your plugin folders. Just my two cents :D

- M

Return to “Effects”