Any way to route Logic/Mainstage to PC via LAN?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So I bought a used mac pro, and I'm going to use it to run Omnisphere in VE Pro.

BUT since this being a Mac I'd love to get my hands on Mainstage. Except, I can't think of a way to route audio from the Mac to my Windoze running Cubase.

I don't want to spend $$$ getting a soundcard and my RME 9652 (in PC) is already out of ports.
Any suggestions? Any clever apps I'm not aware of, in the Mac world? :?:

Soundflower - it's free too.

Protocol_b wrote:Soundflower - it's free too.
Except its not available for PC. :-/

What about the virtual Dante' audio interface driver?
That's inexpensive... and allows you to use the LAN port as a Dante' audio interface.
The round-trip latency only goes down to about 10ms... but that shouldn't matter just for transferring audio.
Jim Roseberry
Purrrfect Audio
www.studiocat.com
jim@studiocat.com

keyman_sam wrote:So I bought a used mac pro, and I'm going to use it to run Omnisphere in VE Pro.

BUT since this being a Mac I'd love to get my hands on Mainstage. Except, I can't think of a way to route audio from the Mac to my Windoze running Cubase.

I don't want to spend $$$ getting a soundcard and my RME 9652 (in PC) is already out of ports.
Any suggestions? Any clever apps I'm not aware of, in the Mac world? :?:
Why not just get a small mixer or patchbay so you have extra ports and can just route the audio directly with zero latency? Just treat the Mac as one other hardware device.

Isn't that the whole point of using VEP? I don't understand the problem
MacPro 5,1 12core x 3.46ghz-96gb MacOS 12.2 (opencore), X32+AES16e-50

Dewdman42 wrote:Isn't that the whole point of using VEP? I don't understand the problem
You can route VE Pro hosted virtual instruments and plugins back to the main machine (over LAN).

Problem is that the OP wants to route the output of Logic/Mainstage over to the PC.
The Dante' virtual audio interface driver would allow this.
Last time I checked it was $29.
It would have to be running on each machine (Mac and PC).
Jim Roseberry
Purrrfect Audio
www.studiocat.com
jim@studiocat.com

I guess he threw me off by including the explanation that he bought the macPRO to run Omnisphere in VEP, which I now see is totally unrelated to the problem, which is how to route the output from MainStage back to anything else... I presume because he wants to use MainStage instruments which aren't available as plugins. Yes?

In that case carry on...

that dante software....it can be used without their hardware in some way? Looks like its $29 per computer by the way.

Personally if it were me, after years of chasing down fancy solutions related to this, I'd just hook up the audio cables from one to the other and be done with it, but if there is a simple ethernet routing solution, so much the better. Ethernet midi is definitely easy and free (rtpMidi).

Dewdman42 wrote:that dante software....it can be used without their hardware in some way? Looks like its $29 per computer by the way.
Correct, you'd just need the Dante virtual audio interface driver loaded on both machines.
Not free... but at $60 is a pretty reasonable solution.
Jim Roseberry
Purrrfect Audio
www.studiocat.com
jim@studiocat.com

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”