Best free Mini Moog emulation?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Does the Arturia Minimoog V Original count? If so it would get my vote. :)

eXode wrote:Does the Arturia Minimoog V Original count? If so it would get my vote. :)
Well, it was free, but its not very acurate soundwise.

AnX wrote:
eXode wrote:Does the Arturia Minimoog V Original count? If so it would get my vote. :)
But perhaps the most accurate out of the free ones? :P

eXode wrote:
AnX wrote:
But perhaps the most accurate out of the free ones? :P
Dunno, i havent tried all the free ones. Since i bought MM (when it came out) i havent needed to.

chk071 wrote:Or buy a used copy of Monark. Usually goes for around 20-30 € around here... great synth.
I had owned a real Mini around 11 years ago and after that used almost any emulation available (incuding a DSP based Minimax hardware synth). Monark is by far the best IMO and the closest to the real thing. It is even possible to re-program patch sheets almost 1:1 with only very few further tweaks needed while in most cases copying the settings 1:1 should be enough.

I also like ine Mini emulations in Diva and also Arturia Mini V but as a proper Mini emulation IMO Monark is superior by far.

BTW as i just upgrade to Komplete 10 (from Komplete 6) i got a copy of Monark to sell (single plugin purchase). Almost forgot about that...
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Ingonator wrote:
chk071 wrote:Or buy a used copy of Monark. Usually goes for around 20-30 € around here... great synth.
I had owned a real Mini around 11 years ago and after that used almost any emulation available (incuding a DSP based Minimax hardware synth). Monark is by far the best IMO and the closest to the real thing. It is even possible to re-program patch sheets almost 1:1 with only very few further tweaks needed while in most cases copying the settings 1:1 should be enough.

I also like ine Mini emulations in Diva and also Arturia Mini V but as a proper Mini emulation IMO Monark is superior by far.

BTW as i just upgrade to Komplete 10 (from Komplete 6) i got a copy of Monark to sell (single plugin purchase). Almost forgot about that...
Plus, one could make it polyphonic, which is very funny to do :) Also CPU-wise :D

exmatproton wrote:
Ingonator wrote:

Plus, one could make it polyphonic, which is very funny to do :) Also CPU-wise :D
Actually i was one of around 2 people who first posted at KVr how to make it polyphonic. I laso posted a thread how to use teh filter in your own Reaktor synths.

Also created the Minimoog patchbook of Klaus P. Rausch (a printed patch book, no legal PDF available) in Monark and posted that for free at KVR (with the official permission of Klaus P. Rausch at Back In Time Records).

Besides the very high CPU use of a polyphonic Monark playing a Minimoog polyphonic is maybe not the best choice as it could be simply too fat for that (not every monosynth is also good for soing polyphonic stuff). The Memorymoog was far from a polyphonic Minimoog. Actually only the filter seemed to be from Moog while the other parts were CEM schips.
Anyway for polyphonic Moog sounds both Diva and Arturia Mini V seem to be quite nice. In Diva you could also get closer to a memorymoog with combining the Jupiter modules and the Minimoog filter. Some of my own presets included with Diva (created during the public beta) do use those modules (besides a bunch of Minimoog and Jupiter patches).
Ingo Weidner
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Before i forget to add a comment about free Minimog emulations:

Until i used Monark and Diva for that task i liked Elektrostudio Model Mini quite much.
link: http://www.elektrostudio.ovh.org/?lang=en

Another free Minimoog emulation (besides some others) i had used in the past was the free Arturia Minimoog Original which AFAIK was only available for one day. Since i got the V-Collection 4 including the full Mini V i had not used the free Minimoog Original (which lacked some features).
Ingo Weidner

BlackWinny wrote:Your question was about a Minimoog emulation, and free. So even if I agree with all the things said above, I'll come back to your precise question.

There is no need to go on archive.org to get MinimogueVA.

MinimogueVA can be downloaded for free at the PluginBoutique (here, at version 2.0).

Gunnar Ekornas allowed me too to distribute it (here for those who would persist to doubt of my honesty). So you can have it here or here (free of course, and there is no need to log in) in a zip file containing MinimogueLUXUS-TD, MinimogueVA-TD, MinimogueLUXUS, MinimogueVA (all at the very last version in date, 2.3) with much more elements (a full copy of the website with its MP3 files and the free banks which were on the website, and the 15 pages soundchart (50 patches) of the Minimoog Model D that I sent to Gunnar last year, etc.)

The zip file is 26 Mb size. You have just to unzip it in a subdirectory of your usual plugins directory then unzip at your convenience the plugins it contains and it remains only to open your DAW... and here we go boys and girls!
I downloaded it and got it up and running in Reaper- it sounds super rad to me- thanks! Now I just need to learn how to make my own presets- UOY has been a great help so far (University Of Youtube)

Ingonator wrote:Until i used Monark and Diva for that task i liked Elektrostudio Model Mini quite much.
link: http://www.elektrostudio.ovh.org/?lang=en
Yes, the model mini is great. Still use that and the entire analog pack in general on rainy days.

Can someone confirm that in MinimougeVA the filter keytracking does not work correct?

Original Moog: switch 1 gives 33% filter tracking, switch 2 gives 66%, both switches together 100%.

In MinimougeVA: switch 1 gives 100% filter tracking. switch 2 gives 100% filter tracking. Both switches together: 200% or so.

Return to “Instruments”