The Tongue Of The Ocean

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Brand new!
The Tongue Of The Ocean is a trench in the North Atlantic close to the Bahamas - or is it Bermuda?
Anyway, just liked the name!

The Tongue Of The Ocean

NOTE: The middle section is deliberately over-compressed - this is what I was going for!

Guitars: Shreddage
Pads: HALion
Arps: Hybrid
Leads: OP-X (x 2), Predator, Spectral
Bass: HALion
Drums: GrooveAgent 4, HALion Dark Planet
Processing: Brainworx, elysia, Valhalla

Enjoy! :party: :tu:

Great song!

Hey man, really enjoyed the song. Great, consistent energy with lead lines that tell a story. One thing though, the "overcompressed middle" (I assume you're talking about frequencies and not time)... def not a fan, I think more dynamic range would have really added to an already good track.

Yeah, I know my use of compression/limiting goes against current wisdom - I just love :hug: the sound. Must be down to my doughnut ears. :D

Perhaps I should put a post-it on my monitor - "less compression, less compression"... :wink:
:tu:
Last edited by Googly Smythe on Wed May 04, 2016 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

It's difficult to avoid overcompression at those kind of depths.

"Its depth varies gradually from 3,600 feet (1,100 m) in the south to 6,600 feet (2,000 m) in the north"

Love the track and great synthwork. Enjoyed.

Edit/addendum: Acronym TOTO ;-)

Really digging the middle section. The string bends were very cool!
I`m on external PC speakers...but the compression in the mid section seemed appropriate for a mix like on Yes`s 'Relayer'...or was it 'Tales from Topographic Oceans'? nah, I just got water on the brain. ;)
....................Don`t blame me for 'The Roots', I just live here. :x

annode wrote: ...but the compression in the mid section seemed appropriate... ... I just got water on the brain. ;)
[groan]
:D

Compression - as well as being a tool, it's also an effect. Sometimes you shovel it on, sometimes you use a spoon...

Well I listened from start to end despite in the middle thinking let it build and release and rebuild etc... I enjoyed it very much and congratulate you on a well balanced and constructed arrangement. My preferences say use more dynamics and during listening I did not experience the hypnotic sense that some of the old YES and records of that era induced however again I say it was really enjoyable and very well put together :) :tu:

Thank you! :party: :tu:

Return to “Music Cafe”