PG8X (inspired by the JX8P): new beta version uploaded

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
pg-8x

Update on the FL crash issue:

I managed to reproduce the freezing. In my case, the sound engine continues working, but the entire user interface of FL freezes. This will be horrible to debug, as it is not really causing any actual crash which a debugger could trace.

martin_l wrote:
planetearth wrote:Martin, I appreciate the amount of work you've put in on this, and while I haven't had any show-stopping problems with it, I would like to ask one small "favor": If you could be consistent with the name of the .DLL file, Sonar (and other DAWs) wouldn't see this as a "different" synth with each version.

For example, this latest version is called "PG-8X.dll" (which is technically the correct name), while the previous version was called "PG8X.dll". And I have an even older version you made that has a completely different name.

The "PG-8X.dll" name is fine with me, if you're going to stay with that. For now, I've simply re-named the latest .DLLs, but I could see where this could cause problems for others, as it would have done for me, if I hadn't noticed.

Thanks again for the tremendous effort you've put into this!

Steve
Hi Steve,

The renaming was actually suggested in this forum some pages ago.
I decided to rename the plugin to PG-8X.dll as this is also the name which it reported to the DAW. So everything should be more consistent now. Future releases will have the file name PG-8X.dll (or .vst on Mac).

Cheers,
Martin
Ah, okay. No worries, then. I've used this (or a version of it) in projects since v.1.02a, and I really like the sound of it.

Thanks again!

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

Another quick update on the FL problem.

I realized why the CPU load is so high when changing presets. It is the standard way of doing things in WDL, which in combination with the way I handle some things, created a huge overhead. When only changing the preset once in a while, it did not show up, but when automating the programme change (which I still think is a crazy thing) it drove the CPU usage into the sky, which probably is what brings down the Fruity Loops engine.

I managed to rewrite parts of the code involved in loading a preset now, and the CPU went down dramatically. I need to do some more tests and also check the issue of the Keyboard modes (Poly, Mono, etc.) possibly not loaded correctly, and then will publish the next version.

Cheers,
Martin

New versions which hopefully should solve the FL problem are uploaded on the dropbox. They will also fix the problem of the Global Gain always reverting to LOW.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/e5oop1vf8vpl ... eezxa?dl=0

Cheers,
Martin

As always, thank you for your work. :)
[====[\\\\\\\\]>------,

Ay caramba !

Mutant wrote:As always, thank you for your work. :)
+1
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

Indeed, thank you sooo much for your work! :) It's a beautifully sounding software synth. :P

I can report a bit of instability [read: Reaper 5.18 freezing and crashing] while mapping PG-8X's parameters from a MIDI controller. At least freezing happens quite often, and crashing at times. Also, the editings using the MIDI controller doesn't look smooth. Some controls lag and jump. However, only the GUI is lagging, it seems. This is with Windows7x64 and Reaper 5.18x64.

btw. are there any controls in PG-8X that are mapped to CCs by default? Like filter cutoff to CC74?

Cheers!
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

how many of you are getting a .ini file in your PG8X folder?
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

electro wrote:how many of you are getting a .ini file in your PG8X folder?
If the plugin does not create the ini file, it is because it does not have write permissions in the folder, where it lives. Try to create an empty PG-8X.ini file in that folder, simply by right-clicking in the File explorer and creating a new file.

Alternatively, create a folder within your home directory and keep plugins there. It depends on the host how to add the folder to the list of folders where it searches for plugins, but should be a simple thing.

Cheers,
Martin

DuX wrote:Indeed, thank you sooo much for your work! :) It's a beautifully sounding software synth. :P

I can report a bit of instability [read: Reaper 5.18 freezing and crashing] while mapping PG-8X's parameters from a MIDI controller. At least freezing happens quite often, and crashing at times. Also, the editings using the MIDI controller doesn't look smooth. Some controls lag and jump. However, only the GUI is lagging, it seems. This is with Windows7x64 and Reaper 5.18x64.
I have the same setup (Win7x64 and Reaper 5.18x64) and can't reproduce the symptoms you report. Could you give me some more information on which parameter(s) you try to control, which MIDI messages you are trying to learn, and other useful information when the crashes/freezes happen.

Ideally, could you PM me a reaper project file, which demonstrates the problems?

DuX wrote: btw. are there any controls in PG-8X that are mapped to CCs by default? Like filter cutoff to CC74?
In it's initial state, no mappings are done by default. However, you can define your default bank of presets, which is loaded when the PG-8X is loaded into a new project. In this default bank you can can set up a default midi map. After you have "learned" a parameter, you can click on "Make Default" in order to save it into the default midi map, which is saved with the bank.

Hope this makes sense.

Martin

martin_l wrote:They will also fix the problem of the Global Gain always reverting to LOW.
Cheers,
Martin
Hi Martin,

OK, this works now BUT ....
This is really NOT something you want, because :
Say I have a project with 3 PG8X in it at -6dB and a lot of other stuff and it sounds lovely, save the project file, and start a new project.
Use 1 PG8X turn the global to +6dB (not because I want to, just because I can, there is a switch there ! ...look..right there..) save this new project, open the old one with 3 PG8X and they are suddenly ALL on +6dB!
And I don't want that !
So either make the Global Gain Preset/instance dependant ( So it's not global anymore and saved with the project ) OR.. remove this useless option and let all instances of PG8X revert to -6dB, so the user can boost it themselves if they want to.

PG8Xpreset saving/loading works now (NOT when you load an OLD preset), but syx still recalls wrong.

Thank you for this lovely synth :hug:

That's a good point. Is there really a need to have global settings for voice count and gain?

sprnva wrote:That's a good point. Is there really a need to have global settings for voice count and gain?
At least the voice count is saved per instance, so it's recalled correct in the project.

Shouldn't all the values be stored in the daw project file? Or is there some limitation that requires some to be kept in an ini file?

Just wondering why there's a need for one at all.

sprnva wrote:Shouldn't all the values be stored in the daw project file? Or is there some limitation that requires some to be kept in an ini file?

Just wondering why there's a need for one at all.
I think it had something to do with using/reading original syx files and some parameters were not on the original synth , so for compatibility reasons or something like that :scared:

Return to “Instruments”