New Vengeance synth in the works

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

chk071 wrote:But how can you say that? As i mentioned above, it's a few forum users which usually complain about dongles, the sales figures are the important thing, and if those don't suffer over dongle protection, companies don't have a compelling reason to move away from such a copy protection.
I say so because the trend has clearly been away from mandatory dongles as software protection, not the other way around. Audio software is one of the last bastions of such copy protection, in exactly the kind of customer environment you describe (i.e. a lot of hobbyist/prosumer users among the customer base) and nowadays even here the incentive to at least offer a choice is there, as per the quick list of names in my previous post, prompted by the claim of "That's it in history who has moved away from dongle. In 14 years."

Logically, if there are potential paying customers who prefer one method over the other, that is, some potential customers prefer a dongle and some don't, it makes most sense to offer both methods. This way, when you need to have DRM, the physical dongle becomes a bonus for the ones who wish to have that portability, and not a requirement for everyone.

I don't feel strongly about this myself, and usually don't take part in these conversations, so forgive me for going so off topic in a random thread :D. It's just funny that dongles are still a "thing" in daw land and we're soon living the year 2016. Back on topic, sorry.

Well, as we both guess, i would guess that many user don't even care what copy protection their software is protected with. Not sure what you make this "trend" from though. As i said, there's also quite a few companies who actually started to use dongles not too long ago... Steinberg and Propellerhead to name 2 really big names.
Guenon wrote: Logically, if there are potential paying customers who prefer one method over the other, that is, some potential customers prefer a dongle and some don't, it makes most sense to offer both methods. This way, when you need to have DRM, the physical dongle becomes a bonus for the ones who wish to have that portability, and not a requirement for everyone.
Again, what is your proof that "potential paying customers prefer one method over the other". There's one solid proof which tells you whether your copy protection is ok or not, and that's sales figures. Obviously at least Steinberg aren't selling too bad, otherwise they wouldn't only raise both their full and upgrade version prices. And Propellerhead, which don't make the donble mandatory though, but your DAW has to have access to the internet, if you're not using a dongle, doesn't seem to do so bad too. The thing is that the companies in the audio app business aren't exactly big, so piracy will harm them more than, say, Adobe or so, so they have to figure out how to protect their software well, and if that leads to a healthy company, then i can only support that, even if i don't like copy protection which causes me to occupy one or two USB ports.
Guenon wrote: I don't feel strongly about this myself, and usually don't take part in these conversations, so forgive me for going so off topic in a random thread :D. It's just funny that dongles are still a "thing" in daw land and we're soon living the year 2016. Back on topic, sorry.
No problem, fair enough to discuss, and have different opinions about it. I don't see how dongle protection should be yesterday though, if it leads to companies not getting warezed and messed up by people who don't care. Especially if warez are a thing even present in the pro's studios. Don't get me wrong, i don't like dongles too (who does anyway?), and rather do without them, but i can very well understand where the respective companies are coming from, and if that's the price which helps them to exist, and compete on a limited market, then that's fine with me. I'd be very pissed off (and in fear of my existence) if i released a software, just to find it the next day on P1r4t3 B4y.

I wonder if any of the companies currently using iLok will be switching over to eLicenser next year. I'm sure Pace have some very dissatisfied customers right now.

Guenon wrote:
TheoM wrote:IK, RP, Izotope and arturia(ish). That's it in history who has moved away from dongle.

In 14 years.
Softube, Waves, EastWest, UVI, Soundtoys, Celemony, PSP... and I'm sure there are more.

Also, we're living in a bubble here, as moving away from dongles is what other industries have done long ago. Don't see much graphics or office software with those anymore :). As they generally generate so much negativity, they are mainly used in very specialized enterprise products nowadays. And in quite a bit of audio software, for some reason.

In my opinion, the best way to go about it (if you need to enforce DRM of some kind) is giving the customer a fair option. Let them choose whether to use a dongle if the portability is preferred, or use an activation without a dongle if the physical USB key is an inconvenience. Some (most?) of the above have done just that, after being physical dongle only.
sorry they do NOT count - that's only because ilok made hard drive authorisation possible as an option. There is no WAY (besides waves) that any of those devs would have had dongle free protection possible otherwise. Waves is only because ilok isn't compatible with there soundgrid hardware which they want to sell.

That said, i will revise.. those 4 companies i mentioned have stopped using codemeter, elicenser or ilok due to user complaints. In 14 years.

Any ETA on this yet - how is it coming along? I am eagerly awaiting and have a wanting for a new synth soon :D
Black Octopus Sound | Samples & Presets | VST Plugins & Software (Diva, Harmor, Spire, FL Studio, IK Multimedia & more)

we are currently designing the GUI... this means we can will post a screenshot in the next weeks :)

msvs wrote:we are currently designing the GUI... this means we can will post a screenshot in the next weeks :)
Looking forward to see it.
Image stardustmedia - high end analog music services - murat

besides Zebra 3, its the only synth i am interested. Very curious.

its hard for me, not to show you something, because there is so much unique to show :)
but with the momentary working GUI graphics, its just too ugly...

Im only interested if the sounds are two things

1. Club ready
2. Cut thru a mix

AnX wrote:Im only interested if the sounds are two things

1. Club ready
2. Cut thru a mix
So in other words, you want sounds that require as little work on your end as possible?

msvs wrote:its hard for me, not to show you something, because there is so much unique to show :)
but with the momentary working GUI graphics, its just too ugly...
If you can't show the GUI, maybe you could share some sounds and/or specs then :wink:
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

djshire wrote:
AnX wrote:Im only interested if the sounds are two things

1. Club ready
2. Cut thru a mix
So in other words, you want sounds that require as little work on your end as possible?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarcasm

If you've ever seen a nexus demo video I'm sure you might be familiar with the name Mirko Ruta, being one of the main sound designers he has helped shape the Nexus sound,

For the past few months he has also been posting videos to his facebook account of a new synth he has been working on and obviously it sounds very much likes his style that he's used in nexus patches

If that's the sound you're looking for then this may interest you

https://www.facebook.com/Mirko.Ruta/med ... 990&type=2

Thanks for this great info Tet,
the synth seams to be amazing, great fx, layers, unison, Wavetables,seq.....
like msvs said, the ui is horrible but the sound and feature are greats,
should i buy an elicenser?
ps : Mirko Ruta is an brilliant sound-designer/pop producer !
keep it up Vengeance
do you plan to make a resizable UI? do you have fix the price and the release date?
cheers.

Return to “Instruments”