Deep Progressive Trance - Grum style

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello

This is a sampler of a track I'm currently working on

Could you let me know what you think.

It's very in keeping with current trend of deep progressive trance, as perfected by the Artist GRUM recently.

https://soundcloud.com/coxys/final/s-DruGQ

Thanks in advance
Last edited by Coxy on Sat May 07, 2016 3:32 pm, edited 6 times in total.

I really like the feel of this track, artistically it felt good, i could listen again, it has the right vibes.

Sounds like the low end could be a little tighter, not sure what it is, but when the kick and the main bass come in together it gets a little murky. Maybe a deeper sidechain on the low frequencies only, if your sidechain compressor can high pass. Also on the second part of the song starting around 3 min....the high frequencies can be dimmed a little. Im specifically referring to the high frequencies of the pads and keys, I think they are interfering with the vocals and hi hats. Maybe just a reduction in volume will do. I think this will help the track keep that deep feel. I think its ok to keep the high frequencies before that 3 minute mark, then just use automation to remove some of them during that second drop for a more pronounced feel. Almost like cutting the bass in the buildup of a bass heavy song and then bringing in the full bass on the drop, except the opposite in this case haha....anyway this is a really good piece once its finished. ill probably check back in..

you can listen to mine and leave comments also if you want i just posted a little trial

viewtopic.php?t=462249

loris16148 wrote:I really like the feel of this track, artistically it felt good, i could listen again, it has the right vibes.

Sounds like the low end could be a little tighter, not sure what it is, but when the kick and the main bass come in together it gets a little murky. Maybe a deeper sidechain on the low frequencies only, if your sidechain compressor can high pass. Also on the second part of the song starting around 3 min....the high frequencies can be dimmed a little. Im specifically referring to the high frequencies of the pads and keys, I think they are interfering with the vocals and hi hats. Maybe just a reduction in volume will do. I think this will help the track keep that deep feel. I think its ok to keep the high frequencies before that 3 minute mark, then just use automation to remove some of them during that second drop for a more pronounced feel. Almost like cutting the bass in the buildup of a bass heavy song and then bringing in the full bass on the drop, except the opposite in this case haha....anyway this is a really good piece once its finished. ill probably check back in..

you can listen to mine and leave comments also if you want i just posted a little trial

viewtopic.php?t=462249
Hi Loris

Thanks very much!

I've taken note and also done a few more mixdowns and cleaned up a lot of areas, the bassline(s) now exhibit more edginess but are also cleaner and tighter.

There's a few other nips and tucks along the way so the new version is a bit cleaner overall.

Not sure I like these volcals, but the track is nice overall. Mixing seems good.

I stopped listening to commercial trance few years ago, but if this is the current trend in it maybe it's time to check it out again.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

Needs a catchy arpeggio hook IMO
Aiynzahev-sounds
Sound Designer - Soundsets for Pigments, Repro, Diva, Virus TI, Nord Lead 4, Serum, DUNE2, Spire, and others

recursive one wrote:Not sure I like these volcals, but the track is nice overall. Mixing seems good.
Thanks RC - generally the track is good?

It's a female vocal pitched down. I set off with it right from the start and it just felt right with the vibe so left it in, it was a big move vocal wise - as it's quite different from the norm but like I said personally i felt it worked so kept it.

Feel free to give a re-listen as I've uploaded final (before master) version. I've strapped a 0db easy limiter accross just for the sake of listening ease before mastering.
recursive one wrote: I stopped listening to commercial trance few years ago, but if this is the current trend in it maybe it's time to check it out again.
It's hit and miss, above and beyonds group therapy show currently leading the way for me in terms of what's good and what's not now-a days, a long term favourite of mine - Armins A state of trance has gone completely backwards, there's a few gems occasionally but jesus I'm literally astounded what Armins playing out quality (or rather not) wise.

Aiynzahev wrote:Needs a catchy arpeggio hook IMO
Elaborate.

Aiynzahev-sounds
Sound Designer - Soundsets for Pigments, Repro, Diva, Virus TI, Nord Lead 4, Serum, DUNE2, Spire, and others

Now I see where these downpitched vocals are coming from. Don't like it at all, Grum's track would be MUCH better without them.

Coxy, your track is definitely good. Somehow it feel like a return to proper trance roots for me. I used to be a big fan of trance, like Leon Bolier, Mike Foile, Blizzard, early Andy Moor and Above and Beyond, but circa 2012 trance completely stopped doing anything for me and I switched to psy. Here I hear something of THAT trance ;)

Btw, I don't think your track needs any more elements

recursive one wrote:Now I see where these downpitched vocals are coming from. Don't like it at all, Grum's track would be MUCH better without them.

Coxy, your track is definitely good. Somehow it feel like a return to proper trance roots for me. I used to be a big fan of trance, like Leon Bolier, Mike Foile, Blizzard, early Andy Moor and Above and Beyond, but circa 2012 trance completely stopped doing anything for me and I switched to psy. Here I hear something of THAT trance ;)

Btw, I don't think your track needs any more elements
I hear you, and you've just reminded me, Mike Foyle - Love theme dusk wow what a tune that was!

Maybe check out Andy moors latest - Resurrection, definitely a nod back to the good old days and I'd hate for that fire inside you to die completely without hearing it first!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OpaRIzCJ_4

Thanks for the feedback, it's much appreciated.

OMFG what a track!

Almost as good as his Air for life

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5eHBO_LeZg

or Halcyon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIK8Hdgx5jI

Some of Andy's later releases were pretty disappointing but he seems to come back into his sences ;) How old is that track?

All in all, I hope that now when trap/EDM are all over the place trance will be pushed back into underground and maybe flourish again ;)

Killer tunes here lol. Air for life was / is a classic.

Resurrection is only a few months out.

Return to “Music Cafe”