Looking for a Multi-Device Universal ASIO Driver

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm looking for a universal ASIO driver that will allow me to use multiple sound cards at the same time in my Sonar project. Currently, Sonar/ASIO is not allowing me to use both my Tascam UH-7000 and Delta 1010 in my project. I can only use one or the other but not both. I know there is ASIO4ALL that can do this, but I heard that ASIO4ALL is not so good with latency and it is not really an ASIO driver but WDM pretending to be ASIO.

Does anyone know what other drivers I could use in my DAW to be able to run two or more sound cards at the same time?

Thanks!

mtl777 wrote:I'm looking for a universal ASIO driver that will allow me to use multiple sound cards at the same time in my Sonar project. Currently, Sonar/ASIO is not allowing me to use both my Tascam UH-7000 and Delta 1010 in my project. I can only use one or the other but not both. I know there is ASIO4ALL that can do this, but I heard that ASIO4ALL is not so good with latency and it is not really an ASIO driver but WDM pretending to be ASIO.

Does anyone know what other drivers I could use in my DAW to be able to run two or more sound cards at the same time?

Thanks!
By definition, ASIO only allows a single audio interface.
Some manufacturers get around this by having 2nd or 3rd (identical or similar) units show up as more I/O under a single ASIO driver.

If you use something like ASIO4ALL to aggregate two audio interfaces, you'll need to clock one audio interface to the other (so they're sharing a single clock source. Otherwise, audio will drift apart (between the two units) over time. This is due to the small timing differences of the clocks.
Jim Roseberry
Purrrfect Audio
www.studiocat.com
jim@studiocat.com

Not such a diver exist, the only brand I know that can agregate devices using their own ASIO drivers is RME:
dedication to flying

Asio4All is your only (and not that bad) option. Just try it...

I have to say, if all you need is routing several audio tracks to separare outputs on several cards & WDM drivers, I did that without issues with CoolEditPro. Now called Adobe Audition.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

mtl777 wrote:I'm looking for a universal ASIO driver that will allow me to use multiple sound cards at the same time in my Sonar project.
Have you tried WDM or any of the other driver types Sonar supports?
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Thanks everyone for your replies! Looks like I'll have to try that ASIO4ALL driver. How is this driver with regards to latency and CPU usage?

So ASIO4ALL actually aggregates the WDM drivers, not the ASIO drivers, of the sound cards in your system, correct? Then why is it called an "ASIO" driver?
whyterabbyt wrote:
mtl777 wrote:I'm looking for a universal ASIO driver that will allow me to use multiple sound cards at the same time in my Sonar project.
Have you tried WDM or any of the other driver types Sonar supports?
I have tried WDM but the thing is I am unable to set my UH-7000 to 48K sample rate/24 bits in WDM driver mode. Sonar says it's not supported for this driver, then it resets the UH-7000 to 44.1K/16 bits. The only way I can set the UH-7000 to 48K/24 bits is if I select ASIO driver mode and remove all instances of Delta 1010 ASIO in the Drivers tab in Sonar, leaving only the UH-7000 driver. So this means that I can only use the UH-7000 alone and not together with the Delta 1010. I would like to use them both.

mtl777 wrote:So ASIO4ALL actually aggregates the WDM drivers, not the ASIO drivers, of the sound cards in your system, correct? Then why is it called an "ASIO" driver?
Because it is an ASIO driver; it conforms to the ASIO standard, and communicates with the host software (eg Sonar) in exactly the same way as any other ASIO driver. The stuff its doing that's slightly different from other drivers (communicating with the hardware via a different driver protocol instead of accessing it directly) doesnt affect that.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

whyterabbyt wrote:
mtl777 wrote:So ASIO4ALL actually aggregates the WDM drivers, not the ASIO drivers, of the sound cards in your system, correct? Then why is it called an "ASIO" driver?
Because it is an ASIO driver; it conforms to the ASIO standard, and communicates with the host software (eg Sonar) in exactly the same way as any other ASIO driver. The stuff its doing that's slightly different from other drivers (communicating with the hardware via a different driver protocol instead of accessing it directly) doesnt affect that.
Thanks for the explanation! :)

I tried ASIO4ALL and am having problems. :( Whenever I select my Delta 1010 as one of the available drivers in ASIO4ALL, the response of Sonar to mouse clicks grinds to a crawl. After I click the mouse there is a long delay before Sonar responds. I am also unable to record. The only way it would work fine is if I unselect the Delta 1010 from the driver list in ASIO4ALL. This is probably due to my Delta 1010 driver being too old. I will try a newer Delta 1010 driver.

Another problem is when I rebooted, there are now two instances (icons) of Delta Control Panel showing in the task bar notification area. Both icons are functional -- they bring up the Delta Control Panel. I check the processes in Task Manager and I see two instances of DelTray.exe running! These two instances must have run automatically from start up. How did this happen? How can I get rid of one of them?

Maybe have a look at Audinate Dante Via?

You could look at: asio server or jack to see if they might be able to do what you need.

FL Studio comes with its own asio driver in addition to asio4all; when my Roland asio craps out in Studio One, I can switch to the FL driver and that works.

I think there's also another paid alternative but I forgot what it's called (sorry).

Thanks for the suggestions. I took a look at Audinate Dante Via, O Deus ASIO Link Pro, and other ASIO server software. These seem to be multi-client drivers that allow you to use multiple apps at the same time sharing one or more sound cards. What I need is to be able to use multiple sound cards in one app.

what about Voicemeeter Virtual Audio Mixer http://vb-audio.pagesperso-orange.fr/Vo ... /index.htm

I check the processes in Task Manager and I see two instances of DelTray.exe running! These two instances must have run automatically from start up. How did this happen? How can I get rid of one of them?
Still have the problem?
What platform are you on...Win7 ?
Do you need Sonar running or do you see them without Sonar?
- if without Sonar;
- goto;
start/run/[type]msconfig then hit OK
System Configuration - startup tab
do you see the process?
-------------------
Undo what you did or uninstall ASIO4U
....................Don`t blame me for 'The Roots', I just live here. :x

carrieres wrote:what about Voicemeeter Virtual Audio Mixer http://vb-audio.pagesperso-orange.fr/Vo ... /index.htm
Voicemeter looks nice. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll have to try it to find out for sure if it will do what I need it to do.

How is Voicemeter with latency and CPU utilization?

annode wrote:
I check the processes in Task Manager and I see two instances of DelTray.exe running! These two instances must have run automatically from start up. How did this happen? How can I get rid of one of them?
Still have the problem?
What platform are you on...Win7 ?
Do you need Sonar running or do you see them without Sonar?
- if without Sonar;
- goto;
start/run/[type]msconfig then hit OK
System Configuration - startup tab
do you see the process?
-------------------
Undo what you did or uninstall ASIO4U
Thanks man! I opened MSConfig and saw two instances of DelTray.exe in the startup list. How the hell did the second one get there? Well, I deleted the second one and that fixed the double icons problem.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”