22%
30%
18%

Total votes: 390

RELATED
PRODUCTS
Repro

fmr wrote:
UNtil someone records the output of a Pro-One distorting in high resonance the way filter 1, 3 and 4 do, I am not convinced these are working properly in what concerns analogue modeling ...
Well, self-oscillation on 2 and 5 dies when cutoff is swept beyond 20-30KHz, which is unlike not some but every Pro One out there. So, I guess that none of RePro filter algos is working properly then, right?

fmr wrote:UNtil someone records the output of a Pro-One distorting in high resonance the way filter 1, 3 and 4 do, I am not convinced these are working properly in what concerns analogue modeling (and if the Pro-One also distorts like these, then... well, let's say I would never buy a synth that would do that). If they are not, for me they're out, no matter what character they have, or how lovely are the basses they produce.
I'm not sure what you mean. The self oscillation is loud, but it's not overly distorted despite its massive gain. There's a bit of K2 and K3 at like 50dB below fundamental. A Minimoog or an MS-20 have far stronger distortion in the self oscillation.

As urosh says, the "thing" about the Pro-One are the heavy DC offsets which are only compensated by a, well, underspec'd RC-highpass *after* the filter (but before the resonance). Furthermore, the waveshapers are not your typical soft clippers - they're not smooth at all. This creates a challenge for any attempt to save CPU because they all explode or behave erratic. If you could run RePro at a sample rate of 1200kHz (equal to 32x oversampling), 1,2,4 and 5 might sound almost exactly like 3. But 3 already sounds like 3 at 96kHz (2x oversampling).

I'm still working on the paper, we have loads of other things on our plate currently.

- U

Urs wrote:
fmr wrote:UNtil someone records the output of a Pro-One distorting in high resonance the way filter 1, 3 and 4 do, I am not convinced these are working properly in what concerns analogue modeling (and if the Pro-One also distorts like these, then... well, let's say I would never buy a synth that would do that). If they are not, for me they're out, no matter what character they have, or how lovely are the basses they produce.
I'm not sure what you mean. The self oscillation is loud, but it's not overly distorted despite its massive gain. There's a bit of K2 and K3 at like 50dB below fundamental. A Minimoog or an MS-20 have far stronger distortion in the self oscillation. - U
I'm not sure if I'll have the time, but if I have, I will try to create some simple filter sweep patches with high resonance in DIVA with the Minimoog, the Júpiter and the MS-20 filters, and then some closer patch in Re-Pro, and bounce all the results. I didn't remember to do this before, but now that you called those to the table, I think it may be an interesting experiment :)
Fernando (FMR)

As a Pro-One owner and user, I have to say that number 1 is the furthest from the Pro-One filter sound, even though it sounds really nice. My votes go to 5 and 2. At first I was all for 5 until at a certain point I thought it behaved in a way I never heard from mine. And that's when 2 gained points.

So, definitely not 1.
ED

If you could run RePro at a sample rate of 1200kHz (equal to 32x oversampling), 1,2,4 and 5 might sound almost exactly like 3. But 3 already sounds like 3 at 96kHz (2x oversampling).
And the good answer was in fact... :D

Ivan_C wrote:
If you could run RePro at a sample rate of 1200kHz (equal to 32x oversampling), 1,2,4 and 5 might sound almost exactly like 3. But 3 already sounds like 3 at 96kHz (2x oversampling).
It's obviously.....4!
:party:

ednolbed wrote:As a Pro-One owner and user
Did you try comparisons with oscillator 2 audiorate modulating filter cutoff at self oscillation?

That's where the differences become most noticeable, and where 2 falls down.

Ivan_C wrote:
I remember an old thread on Gearslutz where someone took the UAD Massive Passive plugin and the hardware and did a blind A/B. Prior to the results being revealed, the plugin held a slight lead. After the results were revealed, I believe the results began skewing towards the hardware. Wouldn't it be funny if 6 months from now, this thread were still alive and 3 were suddenly in first place?

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:
Ivan_C wrote:
I remember an old thread on Gearslutz where someone took the UAD Massive Passive plugin and the hardware and did a blind A/B. Prior to the results being revealed, the plugin held a slight lead. After the results were revealed, I believe the results began skewing towards the hardware. Wouldn't it be funny if 6 months from now, this thread were still alive and 3 were suddenly in first place?
maybe... then we just need to wait with the release until that's the case. Then we can say "this is what the people wanted" :clown:

hakey wrote:
ednolbed wrote:As a Pro-One owner and user
Did you try comparisons with oscillator 2 audiorate modulating filter cutoff at self oscillation?

That's where the differences become most noticeable, and where 2 falls down.
Sounds like a much better condition for filter evaluation.
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

Filter 4 baby :party:

OK, this now seems like talking about football (our football) in the cafe. Anyone chose his/her team by now, and are not listening anymore, just defending their option against the "oponents" :hihi:
Fernando (FMR)

If you didnt vote #3, you dont deserve a synth like this. Its that simple.

AnX wrote:If you didnt vote #3, you dont deserve a synth like this. Its that simple.

:cry:
Can I have a synth with the one I vote on, at least? :lol:
Fernando (FMR)

AnX wrote:If you didnt vote #3, you dont deserve a synth like this. Its that simple.

(fixed)

Return to “Instruments”