Mixbus 32C Released

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Mixbus32C

Rather like the look of this but I am totally brassic at the moment. :(

And no sign of a demo...

Trying to figure out what it is amongst all their masturbatory market chat is rather difficult...

Apparently a Harrison 32c emulation on top of mixbus.

$299... now just have to find that demo... :x

wow big jump in price from mixbus. and i can't find a feature comparison page anywhere anyway.

These guys drive me nuts.

From product page:
"Is there a downloadable demo for Mixbus?

No, we do not currently provide a demo of Mixbus32C. It is our experience that learning a new DAW is a significant investment in a professional's time. We require that users purchase Mixbus32C, and we provide fast email support to help our customers install Mixbus and learn to use it effectively."

I couldn't bring myself to buy the cheaper mixbus w/o a demo. Now they want 300 bucks w/o one?

If I won the lottery maybe :hihi:

I dunno, like I said, they drive me nuts. So many good things.

After much previous discussion about a demo it turned out that you could join their forum and download what seemed to be something resembling a public beta, "test builds" or something linked there, to demo, that beeped or similar without a valid license.

No idea if that's still the case or not or if they even advertised it then. I'm reasonably sure I didn't imagine that but if it's $299 now they might have shut that down, no idea.

If Mixbux 32C is still built upon (read: hard coded into) the once open source (now on a "subscription basis" and still on "experimental windows builds") and buggy ARDOUR, then this is a f*cking steep price for a host without a demo. This is worse than what the Top 4 pull off sometimes.

Why does Harrison not just release their plugins in VST form already?
Maybe even for the same price as the host, but just the suite (Waves does such pricing with Abbey Road and SSL, Neve/Portico in collaboration with Steinberg does so, etc)

Was the collaboration with Universal Audio not fruitful enough?
What about the "fan clones" (sadly discontinued) of the Harrison 32C EQ?

Why reinvent the wheel and force users to a broken host, and raise the price beyond reason with each consecutive update, just to use their "tools"? While on the other hand, we have like 15-20 hosts stable and established already (not counting video edtiors with VST support, or "hosts in the making"). And only three of them using something else than the 15+ year old VST technology (ProTools w/ AAX, Reason with RE-modules, Logic with AU).

I really don't get it.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

But compy, we're considered (a handful of us) to be the whiners and complainers about this stuff. The industry doesn't give a wooden-nickel about that.

I'm thinking about getting it. Harrison operates like Samplitude in that it's plugs are locked to the host. I like the sound and that's what I'd be buying. They're protecting their intellectual property and - that's what they're selling.

I've been trying to figure out what it is (and isn't) but I can't.

Bhan wrote:and - that's what they're selling.
What they are selling is a resource hungry, buggy, flakey DAW with poor vst/vsti support.

I think we all know the reason why there is no demo, because after that there would be very few customers, not that there is that many now, and after releasing this, which to me is a bit of a slap in the face to mixbus owners and just a money grab, they have one less customer. The sound, all be it good, is not worth the hassle and frustration. Plus I am getting very good results from Studio Ones mix engine fx/console shapper, not the same 'sound' as mixbus, but an equally good one, don't know how to explain it, but to me it's more punchy, more depth, more real, and with more plugins on the way for mix engine fx it should only get better.

Harrison and Mixbus . . . . pppphhhhhh . . . no thanks, I'll sit this one out . . . permanently
Say NO to CLAP!

wasi wrote:I've been trying to figure out what it is (and isn't) but I can't.

lol IKR! :lol:

Bhan wrote:I'm thinking about getting it. Harrison operates like Samplitude in that it's plugs are locked to the host. I like the sound and that's what I'd be buying. They're protecting their intellectual property and - that's what they're selling.
Ahem... actually, and although I had my issues with Magix in the past regarding Samplitude, they have their plug-ins (at least the ones that are really important) available in VST format, so no, they are not "locked" to their host.

Besides, Harrison released this out of the blue, without having the "regular" version (or now abandoned version? - they didn't clarify what will happen to the regular Mixbus) really stable, and asking a steep price for what seems not that much different (or am I missing something?).

What the hell is this, Harrison? After a very ambitious road map announced for Mixbus that is yet to bee fulfilled (the updates are coming at a very slow pace) now you come up with something else?
Last edited by fmr on Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
Fernando (FMR)

So this is Mixbus using the 32C EQ, and 12 busses, right? Why didn't they just add these options to Mixbus, call it v3.5 and up the price a bit, even with a small upgrade fee for v3 users?

I've been with Harrison up to this point, but waited to upgrade to v3 till I heard it was stable/usable. I think I'll stick with v2.5 and wait/hope they release all the DSP as a console plugin. It would be great to have the sound without the hassle.
I miss MindPrint. My TRIO needs a big brother.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”