REAPER is amazing.

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
REAPER

Xenakios has made a REAPER Plugin for the sound design tool CDP. This is a massive workflow improvement over the old way of typing into Terminal.

This extension makes CDP way more accessible and fun to use with great integration with REAPER.

https://xenakios.wordpress.com/2014/07/ ... on-plugin/

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=i7FjwnSddSI

Interview with Playtime plugin creator Benjamin Klum

http://reaperblog.net/2014/11/interview ... amin-klum/

A live style session view for REAPER has been requested for years, what made you want to be the guy that made it?

I’m a REAPER user since 2009. Before that I used Cakewalk, Cubase and EnergyXT. I love REAPER. It’s an amazing piece of software and I greatly respect Cockos for pulling off something like that.

As many others, I occasionally was missing a feature that enables me to make music in a non-linear fashion, something like the Session View in Ableton Live. What options did I have? Switching the DAW? Not an option for me. I’ve several solid reasons why I prefer REAPER over the other DAWs out there. Using Ableton Live and REAPER in combination? That sucks in usability. Waiting until this gets implemented in REAPER natively? I would not bet on it.

The idea of making Playtime came to me when I was experimenting with the REAPER extension API in C++. I found out that it is possible to position an item (MIDI or audio) on the timeline in realtime. Intrigued by that discovery, I tried to hack something together that would allow me to reposition an item triggered by pressing a key on my MIDI keyboard. It worked! That’s where it all started. Being able to trigger a loop on the REAPER timeline by pressing a key… that’s the essence of Playtime. To put it simply, the rest is just some nice logic and a fancy user interface :)

Full interview here

http://reaperblog.net/2014/11/interview ... amin-klum/

Helgoboss Playtime . That looks totally Bad @$$ed .....

BTW don't laugh at me, but after so many years of using REAPER, only recently i learned that i can have feedback loops in routing...
This new knowledge helped me make a shimmer reverb effect just like in this Sonicstate video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yf0yqK3yzMQ
(The video has nothing to do with REAPER, it just shows the way to achieve that effect.)
[====[\\\\\\\\]>------,

Ay caramba !

bungle wrote:
chk071 wrote:
memyselfandus wrote:
EvilDragon wrote:As long as you don't paste anything that doesn't add to the discussion, all good. And all your pastes never add anything to the discussion. I wish you'd stop doing it. Here and elsewhere.
I will definitely keep this in mind when posting. It doesn't mean I won't paste some stuff in the future. I like you and you are constantly helping out with very knowledgable information on various forums. See you over in reaper land :)

Can we get this thread back on topic now?

Btw.. I tried out playtime some more and holy crap it is pretty damn amazing! Blown away by what it can do. Thanks for reminding me about it in another thread. It is way closer to live session view than I had thought.

It has been updated since this video
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=45o-PbWe-VU
That's not the topic though. The topic was Reaper is amazing because it fits on a couple of 3 1/2 inch discs. :P Which, considering that it doesn't come with any content, and only a rudimentary set of GUI-less, or non-graphical GUI plugins, is not a huge wonder, or achievement really. But hey, i'm happy it fits on my 1 TB harddrive that way...
By those standards EnergyXT 1.4 was a miracle then haha, it fit on a single 3.5 floppy TWICE hahaha, had a huge amount of features, a better sampler than Reaper, some would say a better MIDI sequencer than Reaper, and updates came just as fast, and yet that developer went from being the king of audio to a joke in a very short space of time.
Fanboys are funny in their ability to deify and then destroy in such short spaces when they dont get their own way haha.
How/why did he fail ?

BTW, Reaper is so small because it's written in C. Well-written C usually tends to take far less space than the equivalent C++ for the same amount of functionalities. Of course it's way harder to write a correct program of significant size in C than in modern C++. Writing in C a program of this level of functionality so stable is very hard. I suppose EnergyXT was also written in C.

Pretty sure Reaper is written in C++ against the Cockos C++ Libraries, EXT was written in Delphi.

Why did EXT fail, he decided to rewrite XT, and make it super dumbed down, after making promises he did not deliver on, good will only goes so far.
Duh

http://www.guitarampmodeling.com/viewto ... =1&t=21537

Links are there for an actual product created using Reaper,
instead of using superior competing products. :party:

bungle wrote:Pretty sure Reaper is written in C++ against the Cockos C++ Libraries, EXT was written in Delphi.

Why did EXT fail, he decided to rewrite XT, and make it super dumbed down, after making promises he did not deliver on, good will only goes so far.
Wasn't FL written in Delphi as well?
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

trimph1 wrote:
bungle wrote:Pretty sure Reaper is written in C++ against the Cockos C++ Libraries, EXT was written in Delphi.

It IS, not was.

Robert Randolph wrote:
trimph1 wrote:

It IS, not was.
XT should have then been kept as a Delphi then...I have eXT2.5....was that the one that got dumbed down?
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

trimph1 wrote:XT should have then been kept as a Delphi then...I have eXT2.5....was that the one that got dumbed down?
My undrstanding is that from v2 it's a complete rewrite in C++ so a mac version etc could be developed. v2 is really a different product and maybe should have been marketed as such. It's missing loads of the midi, performance bits etc that people loved in v1 but I'd argue it ain't a bad, simple DAW in it's own right (simpler to use for everyday stuff for sure imo). But, yeah, you could argue for 'dumbed down'. :)

EvilDragon wrote:Does it? Because when I tried DP8 demo on Windows, Reaper sweeped the floor with it regarding CPU...

Perhaps it's a "too big" DAW to try and be as sleek and optimized :P
DP8 on windows was not the best of releases.

DP9 is better... still better on Mac.

No!

Well for you its no...for others its yes!!
At the end of the day thats only your opinion amongst hundreds of other opinions.
And in reality it comes down who can make the most interesting music in their DAW, who has the skills and can create something thats unique and musical, thats the real test, not opinions.

Astromann wrote:And in reality it comes down who can make the most interesting music in their DAW, who has the skills and can create something thats unique and musical, thats the real test, not opinions.
1 You are on a forum, so if you don't want opinions, you are in the wrong place.
2 Who makes the most interesting music is based completely on the listeners opinion and what is interesting to you, will not be interesting to others, opinion.
Duh

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”