Advice needed on setting up new PC

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Ok, I have an old PC which I love (XP Sp3) filled with lots of good music VST's and all manner of software. Some of which I'd like to use others not so much.

I just bought a new PC with tons of storage, fast and good memory (Windows 8) its got a 250gb C partition and a 1.75 tb E partititon. All of my software on the old PC is on a 1tb C partition.

The old PC is 32 bit, the new one 64bit.

Should I

a) Go through all the software looking for 64 bit versions and install new on the new PC, then transfer (via software app) all the old installations.

b) Get zinstall winwin to transfer everything over, then uninstall stuff I don't need.

c) Keep two computers going, use one for newer stuff, other for older.

Resize partitions obviously would be a must here given the size of software installs.

My head is broken with all the permutations. I've a copy of Komplete arriving this week for the new PC which will quieten me down a bit while I decide what the heck is happening.

Any advice would be gratefully received.
Why not try some amazing fractal graphics for your art? I've got a site all about them at JWildfire Sanctuary

I'd just go for a new clean slate,1st I#d crate an image of the PC with no additional software installed for future in case of backup,then starting with finding 64x versions of your plugs,when I have all plugs installed I'd make another image backup.

I upgraded to a 64bit system recently, and decided to just install 64bit plugins ... it has tidied things up (after previously having every free 32bit plugin installed), and speeded up my workflow.

Good advice on both counts. This is going to take time, and I'm not one for patience, but it makes more sense in the long run.
Why not try some amazing fractal graphics for your art? I've got a site all about them at JWildfire Sanctuary

Took me an entire week when I rebuilt mine. I also upgraded everything to current versions.

Well the process is ongoing that's for sure. The first posters were right it's better to re-install and get everything set how you'd like rather than transfer across etc. What's annoying is the PC has a small SSD drive and software always wants to install to C:\ by default and temp files get written there meaning I run out of space on it pretty quickly. Still working on changing the system defaults.

Transferring audio and data files I recommend Nitroshare

https://nitroshare.net/

Amazing for moving over big folders between the two PC's.

What's annoying is the PC has a small SSD drive and software always wants to install to C:\ by default and temp files get written there meaning I run out of space on it pretty quickly.
Exactly why I went with a 512gb ssd for C. Yes, its possible to move things around and force apps to still work but that generally is just going to end up causing other problems later on.

Yeah, I would have but it was a trade off between a 1tb secondary and with 512 SSD or 2tb secondary with this miniscule 60gb SSD. Am managing ok at the moment, just need to relink Native instruments Common files off Drive C and work out how to really remove apps, as all the files are still there.

Am loving it though, the PC that is :)

I would go with option "c": just have two different computers; the old system and the new system.
This preserves the stability of your old system, and allows you to make the new system as good as you want it without legacy issues.
Also, you can spend more time composing than migrating everything over.
Download & play soothing music: https://soundcloud.com/wait_codec

If I'm reading correctly, c seems like the obvious choice.

It's time consuming but you'll get a nice fresh install and then load everything in the way you want. And time to deal with some of the inevitable head-scratchers of setting up a new OS that you are not quite familiar with ;)

bookofthoth wrote:Yeah, I would have but it was a trade off between a 1tb secondary and with 512 SSD or 2tb secondary with this miniscule 60gb SSD. Am managing ok at the moment, just need to relink Native instruments Common files off Drive C and work out how to really remove apps, as all the files are still there.

Am loving it though, the PC that is :)
Best wishes with the new baby!

Maybe the smaller SSD will force you to pare back to the essentials, which could be a good thing for your music and workflow. Resist the temptation to install anything you haven't used much.
ALL YOUR DATA ARE BELONG TO US - Google

https://soundcloud.com/dan-ling
http://danling.com

Gonga, you absolutely have that right. It's a real exercise in keeping to the essentials, that said though, I'm installing software to the second drive. It's a shame microsoft doesn't learn lessons though, keeping it's game apps on the primary is taking up valuable space, even though they're "uninstalled".

Thanks for the wishes, I've persevered with XP and an old PC for years, so glad to be with the new baby :)

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”