Daw that allows Time Signatures per Track?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Orbit-50 wrote:
memyselfandus wrote:Any audio examples of you guys doing this?
Why don't you try it for yourself? Does it really matter if they post audio examples? Will it stop you from droning on and on about this for years to come? I doubt it very much. There seems to be some kind of sick obsession with this "feature request" if that's what you want to call it, when obviously it can be done other ways. Right? I guess you're not one who can grasp the concept of the work around. Kind of reminds me of a bunch of other short lived users on this forum that are no longer with us. Catch my drift? You just need attention don't you. It's getting kind of old dude. :roll:

That's great.. Very prouda ya.. I'm actually interested in hearing the music they have done involving these methods.

pdxindy wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:I thought this was interesting because he describes exactly how I work::

http://soundbytesmag.net/tempo-thelastdawfrontier/
There is a class of DAW users that don’t care one whit about MIDI tempo control. They use their DAW to record real-time performances without ever turning on the metronome, and they simply let the time signature and initial tempo to remain at their default values.
I always play to my own tempo and that means I can change tempo as I need without needing a DAW that can handle multiple time sigs.
I usually do the same... then I match the DAW tempo to what I played, including tempo changes... that way I can add some tempo matched stuff to what I played
Do you guys have any songs to share that were made this way? I'm really into this way of recording and will post some stuff when I get back in town. While it's not a solution to what I'm looking for it's still an awesome way to make songs.

I just found out a few minutes ago that there are a couple apps being worked on right now that will allow some creative ways to run different time signatures on any track. Can't wait to check them out! If I had a old Mac I would just use Opcode studio vision pro from 98 :love:

In Renoise it is quite simple to use different time signatures in a song, simply changing the pattern length and maybe lpb (amount of lines per beat & bpm which can be set with pattern commands)...the metronome will not change according to time-sig afaik.

memyselfandus wrote:
pdxindy wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:I thought this was interesting because he describes exactly how I work::

There is a class of DAW users that don’t care one whit about MIDI tempo control. They use their DAW to record real-time performances without ever turning on the metronome, and they simply let the time signature and initial tempo to remain at their default values.
I always play to my own tempo and that means I can change tempo as I need without needing a DAW that can handle multiple time sigs.
I usually do the same... then I match the DAW tempo to what I played, including tempo changes... that way I can add some tempo matched stuff to what I played
Any audio examples of you guys doing this?
Everything I've recorded. It's all just realtime recording in layers.

Perhaps the most helpful thing would be for you to post some examples of the kind of music you have written that would be made much easier by this tech. Rather than having to try to explain it to everyone, you could provide concrete examples. This would also help when you approach developers.

Let's see what you got

Jonas78 wrote:In Renoise it is quite simple to use different time signatures in a song, simply changing the pattern length and maybe lpb (amount of lines per beat & bpm which can be set with pattern commands)...the metronome will not change according to time-sig afaik.
I tried it last week and ran into something but can't remember what it was. Will mess with it more.

Jonas78 wrote:In Renoise it is quite simple to use different time signatures in a song, simply changing the pattern length and maybe lpb (amount of lines per beat & bpm which can be set with pattern commands)...the metronome will not change according to time-sig afaik.
I tried it last week and ran into something but can't remember what it was. Will mess with it more.

aMUSEd wrote:
memyselfandus wrote:
pdxindy wrote:

Any audio examples of you guys doing this?
Everything I've recorded. It's all just realtime recording in layers.

Cool man

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:
Perhaps the most helpful thing would be for you to post some examples of the kind of music you have written that would be made much easier by this tech. Rather than having to try to explain it to everyone, you could provide concrete examples. This would also help when you approach developers.

Let's see what you got
This too. Not sure why I didn't originally post some stuff. Just for fun. Will try to make a vid as well. When I get back in town.

Reason blocks are almost perfect for this. What I've done in the past is this.

Reaper

I saved a bunch of empty midi items in different time signatures with varying lengths.

Then when I'm messing with an idea I drag in a 4 bar empty midi item in let's say 7/4
And then I blend another track by dragging a 9/4 empty midi clip right below it.

Works really well for African type rhythms or when you want to make something that sounds different.

When I want to hear the metronome in each time sig I have to insert the time sig in the main timeline. And keep doing that for every track. Which is fine. Then if I am at a airport I can do some step editing and punch stuff in with the mouse.

Some people just feel the time and line everything up later. I love this method but lots of times I want to compose with a visual representation of the time sig in the midi clip using the mouse for when I want a specific rhythm. Lots of people compose via step editing. In those cases you need to have the piano roll reflect the time signature.

This is where a vst metronome would speed up this sort of workflow a LOT. you could then just drag in any empty midi clip in any time signature and leave the main timeline alone but still have a click in any time sig you want. On any track. So I guess what I really WANT is a flexible vst metronome. I have found a couple freeware vst metronomes but ended up with a few issues including crashes. I'll keep looking. I made a thread with what I'd REALLY love to see as far as features for a vst metronome. BUT I'm not sure how well a vst metronome would follow tempo maps.. Not sure.

I would love to see a fully featured VST metronome for mac and windows.

One that allows all sorts of counting features including accenting specific beats and all types of time signatures.

Including a big screen option visually showing the count

and Voice counting

with different counting system options

including Konokol!

Here is a video explaining Konokol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsvKQhOeQjQ

There are more than a few amazing ios metronome apps right now.. It would be great to see a vst version..

Drumjam for IOS does the Indian rhythm and konokol counting VERY well but it's not a vst metronome :)

http://www.drumjamapp.com/

Here is Pete Lockett

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7TArkwOlf0

My other option is to find a old Mac and use Opcode studio vision from the 90's to do this sort of stuff with no workarounds.

Anyway. Much love to you guys. Sorry if this stuff is annoying for a few of you. It's not my intention.

here's a songfile example I've uploaded to the Renoise download section, if you have 3.1 (demo) you can check it out; http://forum.renoise.com/index.php/file ... scharnier/

Jonas78 wrote:
here's a songfile example I've uploaded to the Renoise download section, if you have 3.1 (demo) you can check it out; http://forum.renoise.com/index.php/file ... scharnier/
Cool! Thanks for sharing :) will listen asap

memyselfandus wrote:
pdxindy wrote:

Do you guys have any songs to share that were made this way? I'm really into this way of recording and will post some stuff when I get back in town. While it's not a solution to what I'm looking for it's still an awesome way to make songs.
First I'd want to distinguish where clearly the idea is two independent temporal streams as opposed to this other m.o., which could be any idea.

In all of my DAW-executed compos, I begin agnostic to tempo (I don't worry about guessing or adjusting tempi), I record a thing and, depending on how much I need to know and when, I drag barlines to my notion of downbeats via the Time Warp tool in Cubase. For a couple yrs I actually did not use bars/beats grid at all. My preference for track status is Linear Time, ie., MIDI data is not moved by timeline warp, the performed time determining. Nowadays I'm probably going to establish quite a lot towards defined meter/tempo.
But I don't need more than one meter or tempo simultaneously. So I do understand that disposition but I know there is a point where one needs to have the solid guideline, this other information doesn't do anything to meet the need for the feature. It's the same as saying 'you don't need that feature since I don't', same as FL people that don't care about time signatures.

(Every track I have up at 'YouTube HD' used that m.o.)

Here's a much simpler method of dealing with this sort of thing. No new tech required.

Let's say you have 5/4 and 7/4 for your time signatures. Multiply 5 and 7, and the result is 35. So, what you do is set your time signature to 35/x. Then set the tempo to make 35 beats fit into the desired amount of time. Then for your 5/4 track, you mark the beat every 7 pulses; for the 7/4 track, you mark the beat every 5 pulses.

If you want to key in note divisions from that point on, you simply change your grid/view to coordinate with the current track you are working on.

EDIT: Another way (which you'd probably prefer, I should have opened notation/daw to see it sooner--I find it easier to think musically when I have my usual visuals) is to use just one of those time signatures as the global reference, then simply use tuplets to fill the measures as you want.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”