SPC ArcSyn

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Alectrona for ArcSyn ArcSyn Arrows for ArcSyn

relieved to hear it's a cross platform/format license. phew. can allow my interest to develop now : )

Ingonator wrote:Just noticed this while checking the demo version:
Maybe the OP of this thread could correct the title a bit as the synth seems to be called "Arcsyn" and not "Arcsynth".
I admit I was a bit confused about this too and corrected my posts here.
The correct name is "ArcSyn". I didn't start this thread - maybe I should start an "official" thread?

Sampleconstruct wrote:Some more experimental noodling live on video:
Really like this :-)

Daags wrote:relieved to hear it's a cross platform/format license. phew. can allow my interest to develop now : )
That's a relief, me too.

Gamma-UT wrote:
T-CM11 wrote:So it's free, but uses C/R? I'll skip this one then.
edit: oops, not free. :oops: I'll skip it anyway. :hihi:
Not C/R either. Serial code.
Cool! I'll try it out. :party:
I'm careful these days, so many developers don't think it's necessary to mention their copy protection system...

ArcSyn AU (Audio Unit) only has been updated to version 1.2.1 to fix an issue where instances of ArcSyn were displaying the name "Init" instead of the correct program name when a previously-saved song was opened. I've kept the version number listed on KVR at 1.2 because it doesn't allow separate numbers for AU and VST on OS X.

Holy shit, this synth is a real shot in the arm creativity-wise. Mind-blowing.

I demoed it carefully, all the while thinking about how to do these sounds in my other synths. It would require a great deal of work, to be sure. And then there's the overall sound quality, which is really pleasant. It can be clangorous, and vile, but in a good way! :hihi:

Going to roll out a few more patches... brb.

SPC Plugins wrote:
Ingonator wrote:Just noticed this while checking the demo version:
Maybe the OP of this thread could correct the title a bit as the synth seems to be called "Arcsyn" and not "Arcsynth".
I admit I was a bit confused about this too and corrected my posts here.
The correct name is "ArcSyn". I didn't start this thread - maybe I should start an "official" thread?
How about KVR setting you up with an Official Company Forum? I think you are going to need it for the interest shown in ArcSyn alone.
Windows 10. Asus X99-Pro i7 6950X 10 Core 3GHz (Overclocked to 3.5GHz). Corsair DDR4 64GB Vengeance LPX 2400MHz. RME RayDAT. NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970. UAD2 Quad+Octo. Reaper. A couple of plugins.

SPC Plugins wrote:The correct name is "ArcSyn". I didn't start this thread - maybe I should start an "official" thread?
I've fixed the name in the thread's subject line. You can start an "official" thread if you like. Usually redundant threads are discouraged but I can understand wanting your announcement to be the first post in a thread.

So a few things off the bat that I think would make this "better" than it already it is. And don't get me wrong this thing is already beastly...

A few suggestions of mine.

- More modulation destinations please :D

A few destination i think would be a must. I used DAW Automation to show you what i mean.

- OSC Waveform selection
WaveSelect.gif

- FX Mix Knobs
FXknoboptimize.gif

A few things I noticed didn't really work. I didn't read the manual though so maybe I'm just being daft again.

- When I set LFO1 to modulate the speed of LFO2 while LFO1 was in Sync mode, it would not do anything. It only works when they are free running. If you fixed this so it would snap to values that would be pretty awesome.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by V0RT3X on Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:01 pm, edited 9 times in total.
:borg:

bmanic wrote:There are issues and severe limitations though. First, the GUI is not nice to operate. It's way too vertical and the basic color scheme doesn't work all that well in a low light studio like environment, at least not for my eyes.
Noted.
bmanic wrote:There are surprisingly few modulation destinations considering the amount of complexity that was put into the modulation sources and modifiers. Where are the various Envelope Attack, Decay, Sustain etc destinations? Where are the FX destinations? So many possibilities, so little realized.
Yes, I've already replied to someone with the same complaint. This is something I've got in mind for a future update.
bmanic wrote:Why doesn't panning of a filter work when you have FX routing in parallel mode? (EDIT: I got it now.. so it works as a mixer instead, choosing between 1st and 3rd fx slot when "hard panned". Would love a parallel routing where each effect is independent and not feeding into each other while still retaining the panning of the filters.)
These sorts of options were left out because ArcSyn has been developed over a LONG period of time and I was extremely cautious of using too much CPU initially. I think my current (low/midrange) PC is about 10 times faster than the one I started work on!
bmanic wrote:Why does the mono chorus produce periodic clicks? Bugs probably.
Never noticed this before - well done for spotting it. Will fix ASAP.
bmanic wrote:Master output gain has too little range. If you want to internally gain stage some of the filter drive effects then you'll easily end up being too low in main output volume. Or the Slew Limiter FX.. why doesn't it have a post-limiting output gain control? If you use the slew limiter as a "blurring" fx and end up having quite a lot of it in the mix, you'll easily run into quite low audio levels. Master output needs at least +6dB more range.
I always assumed an output gain which went above 0dB was (somehow) wrong - I get your point though and will add this to my list of ideas. It would be difficult to implement without messing up existing mixes though.
bmanic wrote:So yeah, it's not at all perfect but I'm very tempted in purchasing this little synth due to it's peculiar sound quality alone. The low CPU hit is a massive bonus as well.

Cheers!
bManic
Cheers!

Sampleconstruct wrote:Some more experimental noodling live on video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQuDLLLF2Wk
Excellent sounds. I love space radio bleeps !

hesnotthemessiah wrote: Been playing with my other new synth, Diva, for a couple of days. Diva and ArcSyn really complement each other. They are probably my two favourite VSTis I have ever bought and both bought within a couple of days of each other. I am in plugin heaven!!
Nothing to do with the topic, but a million thank yous for spelling complement correctly. I'm not usually a language nazi, but the frequent misspelling of this word is making me grind my teeth.

"... these two synths really compliment each other!"

Oh, really?

"ArcSyn: oh, your self-oscillating filter is out of this world, really."
"Diva: (blushes) thank you so much, but I can't hold a candle to your LFOs... what a stroke of genius!"
"ArcSyn: oh, that was nothing really. Not like your spot-on recreation of the analogue envelopes"
"Diva: but your knobs... they're so shiny!"

But anyways, they do complement each other. And what the hey... they can compliment each other til the cows come home.

Also off topic...I just made my best purchase thus far of 2016...

This synth rocks!

Something seems to be seriously borked with the saving system, none of the presets I saved while making the videos above sound anything like I left them, loading them this morning to check what I have, they are all broken and often don't produce any sound at all now, this is definitely frustrating.

Return to “Instruments”