One Synth Challenge #84: Crisalys by MaxSynths (J.Ruegg Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Crisalys

RichardSemper wrote:Managed to get a shaker sound by using a short percussive sound like snare or clap i posted earlier and applying the reverb fully wet, with about 50% dampening and reverb time about halfway. This kills the transient leaving a short white noise burst.
This could be useful for snare layering etc, will try again tomorrow and post here if anyone interested. :)
I did the same thing and got an ok clap-ish sound-but couldn't keep the dang thing sounding remotely good on each instance- even with using only one oscillator. I think the oscs have free running phases and they're causing issues.

Also, not being able to adjust delay time or ER level is frustrating due to the ever so slight delay (which I also found to be inconsistent).

Any tips on how you maintained any decent level of consistency?

Thank God I accidentally made that halfway decent snare cause it was driving me nuts.

Looking forward to checking your patches out tonight after work.

Anyone still needing a snare- I'll post an audio example tonight along with an updated FXP. Tweak and EQ to taste, of course.

RobotConquest wrote:
RichardSemper wrote:Managed to get a shaker sound by using a short percussive sound like snare or clap i posted earlier and applying the reverb fully wet, with about 50% dampening and reverb time about halfway. This kills the transient leaving a short white noise burst.
This could be useful for snare layering etc, will try again tomorrow and post here if anyone interested. :)
I did the same thing and got an ok clap-ish sound-but couldn't keep the dang thing sounding remotely good on each instance- even with using only one oscillator. I think the oscs have free running phases and they're causing issues.

Also, not being able to adjust delay time or ER level is frustrating due to the ever so slight delay (which I also found to be inconsistent).

Any tips on how you maintained any decent level of consistency?

Thank God I accidentally made that halfway decent snare cause it was driving me nuts.

Looking forward to checking your patches out tonight after work.

Anyone still needing a snare- I'll post an audio example tonight along with an updated FXP. Tweak and EQ to taste, of course.
That snare of yours is the best yet, I've tweaked it a bit and added some reverb, and may just use this for my entry :)
For the shaker I first got a very tight hit using both up and down modulations of the velocity and some messing with the envelopes. It only uses one oscillator as more just messes it up. Check out the download i posted. Slight tweaks to the verb size and damp, along with cutoff, master attack and decay can help make it fit in.

RichardSemper wrote:
That snare of yours is the best yet, I've tweaked it a bit and added some reverb, and may just use this for my entry :)
Thanks! I'd be honored if your adaptation makes it into your submission.

I've continued to tweak the snare and once I got the hang of the quirky overly digital sounding reverb module Crisalys has, added that in, threw in parametric EQ2 to tame the highs & notch the squeaky parts, ran the result through a second insert and added some compression to smash the transient and accent the release. It's subtle but the result does sound a lot like one of those old 80s rhythm boxes whose numbers I can never remember.

Thanks for the tips- I'll def. check out your presets when I'm home from work.

Quick rules question- this being my first OSC in a little unclear: can we use outside EQ notching to remove obnoxious parts and parallel comp style double inserts as described above? It's subtle and doesn't fundamentally change the synth sound but does accent it quite well.

@RichardSemper some clever velocity workarounds, thanks for sharing. I am pretty much finished my track(besides the final mix), otherwise I would have tried them out.

Shame that it isn't working by default(not sure if that is an intrinsic Synthedit issue as I don't usually use any SE synths?) But the thing I like about limitations is that it always forces me into different creative decisions than I might have otherwise taken. Hence my attraction to the OSC and tech minimalism in general :)

RichardSemper wrote: Check out the download i posted.
I'd be the official president of the RichardSemper brown noser club if I said everything I wanted to about the collection. For such a frustrating little synth, it can be tweaked to make reasonable facsimiles of what you'd expect of a VA synth. I suppose it's the fact that it makes reasonable facsimiles of what you'd expect that frustrates me. Maybe i've just been spoiled by VAs like Sylenth and hybrids like Sytrus & Harmor.

I don't mean to be a kissass, but i'll stoop to levels of blatant flattery to call out that woodblock/snap, that shaker/hat... and that TRAIN. Awesome. Awesome use of the built in stepper there.

And here's an example of the snare patch posted earlier with a little reverb, tail accenting compression running in parallel and EQing. And Crisalys "singing" over it. :lol:

https://soundcloud.com/robotconquest/cr ... nd-singing

Love the cooperation and creativity in this OSC :-)
You guys are awesome !
:clap: :hug:

loris16148 wrote:https://soundcloud.com/loris-solic/loris-bloodlust

Created using only Crisalys in Reaper 5

50 instances
:clap:
Love the mellowed out trap vibe. 50 instances?? Lots of audio bounce/freeze?

My awesome PC has a fried mobo but the one I'm using now isn't terrible and running just 6-7 is cresting 70% cpu usage and some ungodly high quantity of RAM. I can normally cram 10+ instances of sytrus/harmor/sylenth each into the same project and never touch 25% -

anyone else have abnormally high processor load with Crisalys?

RobotConquest wrote:anyone else have abnormally high processor load with Crisalys?
CPU use is highly patch dependant: If you can keep env release values low, reverbs short, turn off any oscillators and fx not in use it can be pretty reasonable.

You're certainly right there - the typical voice reduction definitely part comes into play-

I had massive spikes trying to make claps by layering several instances of transients fed through the reverb module with to 100% wet output with rapid LFO and/or stepper modulation adjusting a BP cutoff, and I figured that the patches were definitely the cause of the problems.

Not great optimization, sure, but at least I was giving it lots of info to process.

That being said- I'm getting 40-45% cpu load without playing a note, while I've got maybe 5 or 6 instances, only one of which has the GUI open.

I thought it was ILBridge so I started running 32bit FLStudio- which was great because it was suddenly able to load FXBs and didn't have plugin crashes when parameters were tweaked. However- not any difference that I noticed in processor load.

Maybe it's just an FL Studio thing- someone else mentioned heavy cpu usage from 5 instances and that they were running FLStudio- (think it was Antti).

Hi all,

I have used midiConverter3 from http://thepiz.org/plugins/?p=pizmidi before the synth to convert note on velocity to CC#7 messages. :o

So, now I have my midi velocity controlling the volume of each note (not exactly what velocity is/can be used for), but it's a good approximation. :tu:

Done in Reaper, but it's a generic VST so I any host will do. :clap:

Hope this helps someone. :party:

Cheers,

dB

Forgot to say as well ...
The same vst will also let you convert the input channel to output on channel 1, which the synth seems to like. All in one go!

dB

Finally finished my entry for this month. Was a bit of a struggle but got there in the end :party:

Done with Reaper 4 using 22 instances of Crisalys.
Reaper FX: ReaDelay, ReaEQ, JS Exciter, JS Distortion
3rd party FX: Ferric TDS, Sanford Reverb(first time I have used this, highly recommended for a free reverb!)

https://soundcloud.com/7angram/7angram-flightbeam

Hello everyone, nice to meet you!

I didn't know the One Synth Challenge existed until this morning while listening to examples of Dexed the DX7 vst and one said it was from the challenge. Next thing I know I've spent the whole day making my track with Crisalys.

I've had a lot of fun so far. I didn't know presets were allowed but enjoyed the challenge of creating all original patches. As others said the drums were a little interesting with no noise oscillators! I was able to coax decent kicks, snares, claps, hi hats, and a few others out of it by using the X-mod and FM parameters.

The track is done for the most part, but I emailed my brother and he said he'd be up for collaborating on it if he has time. So I'm going to see if we can polish it up a bit before posting. I've enjoyed listening to the entries so far and look forward to hearing more.

This synth is sick btw! I didn't know about it until now. The sequencer is perfect!

I hope you will excuse the indulgence - but i could not keep this to myself :)

This is not my entry for OSC84, but was made using only one instance of Crisalys with a TAL Reverb III, in mulab, with hi and lo pass filter on the master channel.

I will be using the patch in my entry, but feel that this track stands on its own, just as it is.
Perhaps an entry for a 'One-Patch-Challenge' :hihi:

https://soundcloud.com/richard-semper/r ... tal-thrall

Here's where I'm at on my own so far with the track - (first submission)

Zhim - Within the Cocoon

DAW: Cakewalk Sonar Platinum
Synth: Crisalys (18 Instances)

All sounds synthesized from scratch and music written by me.
Cakewalk native effects used -

Compressors
EQ
Limiter
Anderton Collection (Drum Master Bus)
Tempo Delay
Tube Emulator

https://soundcloud.com/zhimsound/zhim-within-the-cocoon

Thanks for listening!

Return to “Instruments”