iZotope DDLY presets

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

iZotope is having a marketing campaign to gain new customers (and old customer back).
As a part of that, they are giving free some nice things (for a limited time), e.g. DDLY dynamic delay.

What is new in this marketing concept, is that there a no inbuilt presets in the DDLY:
the manual gives you "Fun settings to explore" in the written form but you have to adjust each parameters yourself.

And this is not all, the idea is, that the "story" of the DDLY continues: I just got a letter from the iZotope including a new "preset" for the DDLY, "the Grain Delay mode of DDLY Dynamic Delay can be used to provide subtle, rhythmic delays, chorusing, or all out granular chaos. DDLY’s ability to sync grain playback time to the tempo gives it the unique ability to generate wild textures while still keeping things locked down to the rhythm."

I.e. the free DDLY functions a "bridgehead" between the user and iZotope, a new "preset" time to time makes the user to read the iZotope newsletter again and again.

Instead of sending a preset which you could just load, iZotopes idea seems to be letting the user reading the "continuing story of the DDLY" and trying to adjust the parameters according to the written instructions. iZotope has even made a "Recall Sheet" where the user can write the parameter settings.

Interesting marketing, and the product is good - I even like to GUI although noticed many of the KVR users have mocked it. The written preset instructs forces also the user to try each parameter adjusting himself, instead of just loading the preset, which can be useful. Although I like what iZotope is doing (and own most of their products(, hope they would include in addition to all above also the preset in the digital form. Any idea how the load the presets in easier way, in this case? :tu:

Harry_HH wrote:Instead of sending a preset which you could just load, iZotopes idea seems to be letting the user reading the "continuing story of the DDLY" and trying to adjust the parameters according to the written instructions. iZotope has even made a "Recall Sheet" where the user can write the parameter settings.
I think it is a good strategy

It is retro-cool in the sense that this is how it was done in the 70's when users bought patch books for their synths, and dialed in settings by looking at a sheet

Not getting presets pre-installed, but having to dial them in from a sheet, also makes me think more about the possibilites of tweaking, and it helps me understand better how a plug works.

Numanoid wrote:
Harry_HH wrote:Instead of sending a preset which you could just load, iZotopes idea seems to be letting the user reading the "continuing story of the DDLY" and trying to adjust the parameters according to the written instructions. iZotope has even made a "Recall Sheet" where the user can write the parameter settings.
I think it is a good strategy

It is retro-cool in the sense that this is how it was done in the 70's when users bought patch books for their synths, and dialed in settings by looking at a sheet

Not getting presets pre-installed, but having to dial them in from a sheet, also makes me think more about the possibilites of tweaking, and it helps me understand better how a plug works.
Yes, when I just had bought the Doepfer Dark Energy, I found settings on forums and dialled them in, while playing as I tweaked so I heard what went on. Good way to learn when new to analog stuff.

Yeah, as wrote in my OP, I like what iZotope is doing - however, I think they could do it even better. No presets - continuing "new feature" story could stay, but the user could save and recall the preset he/she has created.

This would improve the marketing concept and "grapewine" because in this way the users would most likely create and share their own presets and in the same time discuss and sort of keep iZotope name in the forum headers.

Plugin without the save-function is not the most practical when wanting to create same effect in different projects.

I'm hoping they release a rack to house this new line of creative effects (incl. vinyl), to be released at a rate of 3-a-year, at 50$ each :tu:

The rack will of course allow preset saving

Harry_HH wrote:Yeah, as wrote in my OP, I like what iZotope is doing - however, I think they could do it even better. No presets - continuing "new feature" story could stay, but the user could save and recall the preset he/she has created.

This would improve the marketing concept and "grapewine" because in this way the users would most likely create and share their own presets and in the same time discuss and sort of keep iZotope name in the forum headers.

Plugin without the save-function is not the most practical when wanting to create same effect in different projects.
Wait a minute. I missed that. There's no SAVE function on the freebie? I just got this but haven't installed it. While I get the 'no presets' thing, if there's no save function, I would rather 'save' myself the frustration and not install it at all.

Thanks for the heads up.

-B
Berfab
So many plugins, so little time...

Harry_HH wrote: I even like to GUI although noticed many of the KVR users have mocked it.
Have you tried working with it on a laptop or tablet in bright sunshine? Under those conditions, there practically is no GUI. But, hey, it's free.

Your host should be able to save presets even if the plugin does not, I have no issues here saving presets for this in Maschine/Reaper/Studio One/Tracktion, and they all show the preset in their own list, some hosts may not have their own preset system but will still allow preset save, I can save a preset and reload it in Renoise, it doesn't show in a list in Renoise (Keep in mind that Renoise is very behind the curve in terms of development) but you can save and load presets.

That being said, there is nothing so spectacular about this uggliest of ugly plugins that just sounds OK, nothing more, in fact the most interesting thing is that Izotope either could not be bothered to put preset saving in to the plugin and then come up with some nonsense campaign or indeed purposely did not bother putting in preset saving and came up with some nonsense campaign, either way this is 2016 and anybody who falls for "No presets is good" well they deserve everything they get, the reality is nothing to do with this or that being good, it is free, so you get what you get and that's that.
Duh

garryknight wrote:
Harry_HH wrote: I even like to GUI although noticed many of the KVR users have mocked it.
Have you tried working with it on a laptop or tablet in bright sunshine? Under those conditions, there practically is no GUI. But, hey, it's free.
Yes, I think there's some kind of programming error, the interface should be brighter when the module is active, now its just dim or dimmer. My guess, its just matter of one missprogrammed parameter.
But thats the only shortage, otherwise very intuitive GUI. (plus the missing "save", of course). You can create cool stuff with this plugin.

bungle wrote:Your host should be able to save presets even if the plugin does not...
Yeah, this occurred to me right after I hit 'send.' :oops:
Berfab
So many plugins, so little time...

this intentional omission of a preset functionality, is contrived - phoney - gimmicky bullshit. host workarounds notwithstanding.

it's sad to see gullible people applaud them for it, but I suppose it vindicates izotope in some way that the gimmick was worth implementing.

BERFAB wrote:Wait a minute. I missed that. There's no SAVE function on the freebie?
There is no inbuilt preset manager in DDLY, but that is no problem, as you can save any tweakings and patches you do in DDLY in your DAW.

Daags wrote:this intentional omission of a preset functionality, is contrived - phoney - gimmicky bullshit. host workarounds notwithstanding.
Can't remember that you posted that in the Charlatan thread :P

Most VSTs and VSTi's come with presets, but many of them come without an inbuilt preset manager.

You then just save new patches inside your DAW of choice.

This is how the wrapper in FL Studio 11 handles presets, so most def DDLY presets can be saved and recalled

I know FL Studio is probably the most advaced DAW there is, but I guess other DAWs also have similar functions

Numanoid wrote: Can't remember that you posted that in the Charlatan thread :P
Charlatan thread ? what charlatan thread ? what is charlatan, infact ? if I'm not already posting in the thread why would you suppose I should be commenting on its preset system ? tongue-poking-out smiley notwithstanding.

perhaps unlike you, i don't visit this forum out of abject boredom and bone idleness...and so I only read and comment on threads I have some kind of genuine interest - that is the primary reason I'm not in the charlatan thread. In this case, I'll download the izotope freebies - so I'm interested in topics about them at the moment. And so this is my opinion on this artificial ommission of a preset saving system ...

and by the way, please note that in this instance I am suggesting it is contrived, phoney and gimmicky. to me, their motivations seem clear. another plug might not have a preset saving system built in and the reasons for this may not seem gimmicky or contrived, to me or to others. i hope you can manage to wrap your head around that concept :tu:

Return to “Effects”