which VST sub-hosters allow feedback loops ?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Want to experiment with delay feedback loops (having VST chains inserted in the feedback path) and wondering which sub-hosters allow this.

I've tried / heard the following so far (correct me if wrong):

- MUX: no feedback loops, but a modular delay module which allows custom inserts in the feedback path

- Usine (the older VST version): yes

- Bidule: yes

- Melda MXXX: obviously yes, but can it host VSTs in the feedback loop ?

- IL Minihost modular: no

What else ?

No_Use wrote:- Melda MXXX: obviously yes, but can it host VSTs in the feedback loop ?
Nope, it can't host VST(*) anywhere.

(* I dont believe the Melda plugins that can be used inside MXXX are actually the VST versions.)

Also, WRT other subhosts:

Patchwork : No, AFAIK

Magma : No

energyXT(*) : Cant remember

(*) If it even still runs as a plugin.

Basically, Im pretty sure the only one that does is Bidule.

edit : btw Another way to try it would be with a 'wormhole' type plugin (http://www.kvraudio.com/product/wormhole_by_plasq) but I dont know of any(**) which are 64-bit if that matters.

edit2 : ** except maybe ReaStream by CockOS
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Thanks whyterabbyt.

I'd like to keep this as simple as possible so the network / LAN approach (wormhole etc.) I prefer to avoid.

Think I'm going with Usine (old "Pro" VST version) for now as I have that already anyway.
Already done some whacky feedback patches and it works quite nicely.

No_Use wrote:Think I'm going with Usine (old "Pro" VST version) for now as I have that already anyway.
Ah, yes, of course. Windows 32-bit only, though, AFAIR? Really wish they'd get Hollyhock out as a plugin, I dropped my sub/whatever that became because it never happened.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Or one of the cut down versions of Live and use the send feedback feature, assuming you don't have Live
Amazon: why not use an alternative

One that's often overlooked is VSTForx http://www.kvraudio.com/product/vstforx ... odschynski
I haven't tried it yet in a feedback-loop setup, but AFAIR there's no reason why it couldn't.
Music can no longer soothe the worried thoughts of monarchs; it can only tell you when it's time to buy margarine or copulate. -xoxos
Discontinue use if rash or irritation develops.

Ableton Live, would mean using another standalone host / DAW (as it's not the DAW I'm using currently), so doesn't quite fit the 'simple as possible' setup.

Completely forgot about VSTForx, will have a look.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”