Does anyone NOT like soft synths?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Frantz wrote:fast women, and slow horses.
Mine was the opposite...slow women and fast horses.
Reality is a Condition due to Lack of Weed!

BasariStudios wrote:
You could bet on that combination.

BasariStudios wrote:
By quoting part of a sentence I wrote 4 years ago, you can be sure no one understands it. Do you even know how to internet? :x

ariston wrote: Whatever your opinion, they are great and very capable tools. If you can't make arresting music with these tools, you have only yourself to blame.
I wonder how much softsynth hate is about the interaction (MIDI controller/GUI) rather than the sound produced. We're stuck on our controllers with rows of, for the most part, unlabeled knobs with arbitrary bindings and low resolution. The alternative is mousing around which is even worse. I think a box with a goodish number of high res pots and dynamic colored (for easy location at a glance) LED labels would go a ways toward making softsynths easier to play as synthesizers.

Does anyone NOT like soft synths?
-My neighbours :)

caonoize wrote:I wonder how much softsynth hate is about the interaction (MIDI controller/GUI) rather than the sound produced. We're stuck on our controllers with rows of, for the most part, unlabeled knobs with arbitrary bindings and low resolution. The alternative is mousing around which is even worse. I think a box with a goodish number of high res pots and dynamic colored (for easy location at a glance) LED labels would go a ways toward making softsynths easier to play as synthesizers.
Things like Akai Advance and Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S have already bridged that gap. Anyone who doesn't like softsynths either hasn't used the right ones (there are still lots of horrible ones out there) or needs a big Moog logo on the back of their keyboard to match their scarf.

Uncle E wrote: Things like Akai Advance and Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S have already bridged that gap.
Not quite. By color LED labels I mean dynamic text labels much like the old Mackie C4 which could display text and values above the knob but with color. The Korg Kontrol 49 had alpha display over the knobs, but I'm not sure if the computer could write text to it on the fly.

Do these new controllers do better than sending 7 bit values for the knobs? Smoothing will lose resolution, and 7 bits is pretty coarse as it stands.
Last edited by caonoize on Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

Firebird wrote:
BasariStudios wrote:
Well at least it's not horse women and slow fasts.

And I don't like soft synths. They are all fake except DIVA which is more analog than you and I are.

Codestation wrote:
Firebird wrote:
BasariStudios wrote:
Well at least it's not horse women and slow fasts.

And I don't like soft synths. They are all fake except DIVA which is more analog than you and I are.
You should ask Hannah, and her horse :P

As for the soft synths, it's all I've ever used. Analog purists be damned!

Soft synths are great, but looking at what I actually use I probably use samplers more because I can feed samples of my own instruments into them and make fake synths, like http://www.karoryfer.com/karoryfer-samp ... ng-cyborgs.

Oddly I will usually synthesize piano (Pianoteq) and kick drums (BigRoomKix Synth), which are the kinds of things you'd generally expect to be sampled.

Return to “Instruments”