Is Waldorf Blofeld discontinued?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Yea no doubt the blofeld is a design compromise, but one that they managed to pull off very nicely. The module surely has more than its fair share of menu diving, but somehow I still prefer sticking to the hardware rather than using an editor.

I'd probably be more inclined to get an editor if the midi implementation wasn't so complete, but as it is I can control almost anything from my SL Mkii. I still end up mostly going through the menus directly on the hardware though, cause it's just quicker and more spontaneous for me. Also yea, the iPad is a pretty good option. I use and really like patch morpher, but I guess there are other options too, like lemur templates etc.

The only real advantage I see to a pc based editor is automation (if its a vst editor), but you could do that anyway by sending cc's through midi tracks, no?

Lejurai wrote:Go for it! Don't think AT ALL that "I may need this in here and there" or "I have this song that I started 5 years ago and it uses this synth". If you find out that you really need something, you can always install it again ^^ Of course if ya wanna go hardcore, you sell your other software ;D

I just sold some time a go everything that overlapped. Even the synths that I "loved" but rarely used since something else I had did the same thing better.
Finally I did it! Thanks for encouraging me! Wow! I feel light and free :hihi:

I have only Studio One Artist 3 and Pro 2 as DAWs (I don't need Pro v2, but I will keep it for later upgrade). So, no VSTi ... no Cry! :clown:

I will start to sell what I have from licenses and accounts soon ;)
maschinelf wrote:
The only real advantage I see to a pc based editor is automation (if its a vst editor), but you could do that anyway by sending cc's through midi tracks, no?
I already did, in Studio One, an instrument called Blofeld Synth and a keyboard called Blofeld Keys. I did find many knobs when I open the Blofeld Synth mapped to the different Midi CC. With the help of the manual, I did change many of the names of the parameters. But they are only 128 parameters, so I don't know if that includes all Blofeld's parameters.

Maybe I will just use the standalone one editor, because I prefer to use the Blofeld directly in the host for both Midi and Audio.

EnGee wrote:Finally I did it!
Congratulations!! ^^

Lejurai wrote:
Congratulations!! ^^

I came along a really nice sound demo for a Blofeld soundset on Youtube, so i thought i'd share it here, in case someone is interested. Also features some interesting comparison sounds with a Roland Juno-60 @ 27:10 minutes. Sound pretty similar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfosO1Y0nds

Thanks for sharing :)

I could do some analogish sounds with blofeld but it wasn't very easy (neither difficult). Blofeld is a very capable synth and can do so many kinds of sounds. Anyway, I'm using the soft synths more now because they are easier to program and to setup.

I have a strange problem with Bitwig! When I record audio from a specific preset (I created, it is Jupiter/oberhiem kind of pad), I hear crackles and strange 'blobing'! The strange thing is that I could record audios from other presets but they record and play normally! I have checked everything possible (includes audio stretching (I disabled it)) but it is the same, only with this specific preset I have a problem with Bitwig! (I don't have any problem recording this preset in Reaper 5 or Live 9 intro). Hmmm, not good Bitwig :( It seems there will never be a perfect DAW!

Back to Blofeld, I still like mine a lot, but I'm using it more as Midi controller than a synth! The keys are fantastic. The mod and pitch wheels are nice and I can use the 4 knobs (I use mostly what is written in the matrix to midi learn the soft synths, so I don't have to remember which one is which).

The headline gave me a short shock. :o
It would be really very sad if it would have been true. I always wished that waldorf will maybe release a hands-on version with more knobs... or an extra controller to get access to all parameters.

chk071 wrote:I came along a really nice sound demo for a Blofeld soundset on Youtube, so i thought i'd share it here, in case someone is interested. Also features some interesting comparison sounds with a Roland Juno-60 @ 27:10 minutes. Sound pretty similar.
Programmed by Don Solaris :tu: Own it - Very nice soundset - No external samples required (unlike many of the Blofeld soundsets)

EnGee wrote:Thanks for sharing :)

I could do some analogish sounds with blofeld but it wasn't very easy (neither difficult). Blofeld is a very capable synth and can do so many kinds of sounds. Anyway, I'm using the soft synths more now because they are easier to program and to setup.

I have a strange problem with Bitwig! When I record audio from a specific preset (I created, it is Jupiter/oberhiem kind of pad), I hear crackles and strange 'blobing'! The strange thing is that I could record audios from other presets but they record and play normally! I have checked everything possible (includes audio stretching (I disabled it)) but it is the same, only with this specific preset I have a problem with Bitwig! (I don't have any problem recording this preset in Reaper 5 or Live 9 intro). Hmmm, not good Bitwig :( It seems there will never be a perfect DAW!

Back to Blofeld, I still like mine a lot, but I'm using it more as Midi controller than a synth! The keys are fantastic. The mod and pitch wheels are nice and I can use the 4 knobs (I use mostly what is written in the matrix to midi learn the soft synths, so I don't have to remember which one is which).
I had a Blofeld once for a couple of days, and, yeah, the menu diving was quite cumbersome tbh. You still have Largo though, right?

goldenanalog wrote:
chk071 wrote:I came along a really nice sound demo for a Blofeld soundset on Youtube, so i thought i'd share it here, in case someone is interested. Also features some interesting comparison sounds with a Roland Juno-60 @ 27:10 minutes. Sound pretty similar.
Programmed by Don Solaris :tu: Own it - Very nice soundset - No external samples required (unlike many of the Blofeld soundsets)
Yeah, really tempted to reproduce some of those on Largo. :)

chk071 wrote:
EnGee wrote:Thanks for sharing :)

I had a Blofeld once for a couple of days, and, yeah, the menu diving was quite cumbersome tbh. You still have Largo though, right?
No I don't have Largo but I had the demo three times! So I still remember it. I was to buy it but the restrictions of e-licenser is not nice. Anyway I think the two are very similar, but the factory presets in Blofeld are much nicer. There is a pad that I love in the factory presets called 50's Pad. I will give some examples later maybe.

I'm still waiting for an answer from Bitwig support. I hope that I missed something otherwise it means a bug that I need them to confirm and to fix.

Weird that it only happens on that specific preset.

It happens also with a preset I created (Jupiter pad). It seems it hates all vintage pads :hihi:

I will try also with iPad as external audio also (I have iProphet and iSem to test some pads). It is either a setting with audio stretching thing or a bug when smooth pad recorded! I'm preparing some examples but I need to decide where the to post them also.

I have tested in Reaper 5 again and I had problems this time! Then I
suspected the audio interface, so I installed Asio4All and used my
internal sound card (comes with Gigabyte motherboard).
Then for the first time, it worked but then it returned the same problem!!
So, I don't think it is the sound card. It is not Bitwig. So it is
either my Windows system or Blofeld itself.

As I don't have any problem with Bitwig when I use Presonus iTwo to
record VSTi (very stable in cpu performance and sound) whatever it is
(Bazille, Razor ...etc). Then it is not Windows. Then what remained is
Blofeld! But when I play Blofeld, it is fine, there is no noise! It
is only when I record! and, the crazy thing is not all presets!!!! All the volumes are about half way, so there is no any clipping from the hosts. It might be Blofeld's internal clipping, but why it is those presets only and why only when I record them? :tantrum:

I don't think it is an easy problem to solve! The solution for me is not using
these problematic presets from Blofeld (some pad presets).

I did recorded an example. There is a noise in
the first preset, the one I created it, ) and the second one is the factory
preset "50's Pad". Then all is fine till the last one "Angel Pad"
which has the same problem as the first and second one.

Here is the mp3:
https://app.box.com/s/cr613uwwd47txwd1cmdk14qvh5w9inh9

I have sent the Bitwig support a similar email to this post and asked them to close the ticket.

Ok! I solved it. The problem was the enabled midi output to Blofeld in both Bitwig and Reaper!! So, I've just disabled them and now both hosts are recording great and every thing is working fine :D

Here are the first two pads:
https://app.box.com/s/3lkg25yku9ltfyi2v5wguu7wphd8ba1j

My most hated loved synth. I hate menu diving and knob-lacking matrices. Great sound and pretty in-depth manipulation, but bring back a Q version. I guess the Sledge 2 is that keyboard version, but should make a sledge 2 module.
"I am a meat popsicle"
Soundcloud Vondragonnoggin
Soundclick Wormhelmet

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”