Synths loaded with CHARACTER - what's yours?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Another good character synth is VirtualCZ
:borg:

A lot of synths have 'character'. Character that can please Mr x or y is a different thing though.
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

Lotuzia wrote:A lot of synths have 'character'. Character that can please Mr x or y is a different thing though.
Oh, those guys! So hard to please... :roll:

A couple others I just thought of are Helix and Syn'X 2

Lotuzia wrote:A lot of synths have 'character'. Character that can please Mr x or y is a different thing though.
What about synths with character, that don't please anybody? :hihi:
This guy has the kind of character which is sure to piss everyone off...
Sounds can be found here

FutureRetro 777
Korg Monotron Delay
Korg Volca Keys
Korg MS-20
Any modular
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

HW: 1st choice - Arturia Origin -

2nd choice - John Bowen's Solaris -

SW: 1st choice - Spire; 2nd choice - Harmor

justin3am wrote:What about synths with character, that don't please anybody? :hihi:
Sounds can be found here
Cool stuff! :tu:

Reminds me of times that I used to spend playing with a shortwave radio - the one I had was outfitted with SSB (single side band) which could really create some crazy listening -

goldenanalog wrote:
justin3am wrote:What about synths with character, that don't please anybody? :hihi:
Sounds can be found here
Cool stuff! :tu:

Reminds me of times that I used to spend playing with a shortwave radio - the one I had was outfitted with SSB (single side band) which could really create some crazy listening -
I just picked up an old shortwave radio with an analog tuner just to get interesting noises. :)
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

deastman wrote:I just picked up an old shortwave radio with an analog tuner just to get interesting noises. :)
here's something that you might be interested in, deastman:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shortwave_radio

If you scroll down, there's a section of the article titled: 'Shortwave broadcasts and music' -

goldenanalog wrote: Reminds me of times that I used to spend playing with a shortwave radio - the one I had was outfitted with SSB (single side band) which could really create some crazy listening -
But that begs the question... what shortwave tuner/reciever has the most character?
My neighbor is a ham radio enthusiast.. so obviously, an old dude. I was trying to talk to him about a voltage (possibly MIDI) controlled tuner and he looked at me like he had seen something crazy. Then he said when he was in college, he and his friends used to drop acid and scan through the noise on his dad's radio. It was pretty funny, he was totally embarrassed after he said that. My neighbors are rad.

rod_zero wrote: Razor quite a bit,
Razor for sure - almost unmistakable.

justin3am wrote:
goldenanalog wrote: Reminds me of times that I used to spend playing with a shortwave radio - the one I had was outfitted with SSB (single side band) which could really create some crazy listening -
But that begs the question... what shortwave tuner/reciever has the most character?
My neighbor is a ham radio enthusiast.. so obviously, an old dude. I was trying to talk to him about a voltage (possibly MIDI) controlled tuner and he looked at me like he had seen something crazy. Then he said when he was in college, he and his friends used to drop acid and scan through the noise on his dad's radio. It was pretty funny, he was totally embarrassed after he said that. My neighbors are rad.
I loved our old Philips radio (I found image of it!). I spent long nights with it when I was a kid! So many 'blips and bleeps', and very organic ones as well! All those foreign languages I was trying to guess. So different melodies all over the world with my kid's imagination and the blips effect :) Wonderful time!
The distorted speak and how it goes and comes (wonderful effects!). It was even more organic than Mini Moog :hihi: I don't know what happened to it? I think my mother donated it when we had the new FM National Panasonic one later!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

For me there are two kinds of "character". Some synths make commonly used sounds with a special flavour. Like Sylenth. It is very basic synth and lots of people consider it boring, but when you make a 303-like sequence, or a plucky synth part, the sound is full of attitude, like "hey, I am Sylenth and I do sound good". Same with Spire. But the same sounds made by certain other (very versatile and very popular) synths sound like yet another 303 sequence and yet another plucky synth.

Other kind of "character" synths are those which make deliberately unusual and recognizable sounds - for me that's Razor, Absynth, Kontour. I don't always need them bot when I do, nothing can replace them.

Z3ta is kinda in between. You can make bread and butter sounds with it but the sound always has some special lo-fi flavour which may be lovely but doesn't fit evetything.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

justin3am wrote:
What about synths with character, that don't please anybody? :hihi:
Sounds can be found here
Ppfffeeeeeegh. Doesn't make me PO'ed. I kind of like twisted sounds. :hihi:
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

Return to “Instruments”