Roli Seaboard RISE

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

deastman wrote:
droolmaster0 wrote:got a response, which suggested a bunch of thing that I had already done (and I believe had clearly articulated in the emails). I responded, and have received nothing since. Not pleased right now.
Good customer support might seem like such a little thing, but it is really critical. It doesn't take much to turn the tide against a company. I mean, I practically had my finger poised on the button to pre-order a RISE 49, but now I'm thinking I'll just wait a while and see how things go with your issues. There is always the Linnstrument...
I was also close to pushing the buy button on the Rise 49... software issues and bugs is a big turn-off so I'll wait too

droolmaster0 wrote:no response from support.

Our apologies for any delays in responding late to support enquiries. We usually respond to enquiries within 24 hours during normal business hours (Mon-Fri). However, much of our team has been away at NAMM. Now that we're back we will do our best to answer you within 24 hours.

We have just responded to your enquiry with a solution involving a simple settings change. If you have any questions or problems, please don't hesitate contact us at support@roli.com. Thanks

I can confirm that I got a response this morning with some suggestions. I will try them tonight after work, but it's possible that I might not get a chance before the weekend. I will certainly confirm here if the issue is fixed.

I got a response too.... And it solved my biggest problems!

Can anyone tell me if the bluetooth functionality works with windows? I've heard that midi over bluetooth was a mac thing, but I haven't found it said anywhere that Roli's wireless mode only works on mac so I'm hoping it works with windows too.

thanks

Cinebient wrote:I got a response too.... And it solved my biggest problems!
My fault.... it still doesn´t solve the problems. It´s still not possible to use midi input with the Plugin without connecting to a Rise because it doesn´t save the settings and all sample OSC are still empty until i change the patch :x
Damn.... have to go back again to version 1.3.

Echoes in the Attic wrote:Can anyone tell me if the bluetooth functionality works with windows? I've heard that midi over bluetooth was a mac thing, but I haven't found it said anywhere that Roli's wireless mode only works on mac so I'm hoping it works with windows too.

thanks
I guess not eh?
https://support.roli.com/article/how-to ... irelessly/

Any news on the problems you were having?

I just couldn't hold out any longer. I tried... I really did... I fought the good fight...

RISE 49. Pre-ordered!
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

I wonder if the seaboard rise would work with widi bud from cme, which is meant to connect the key air to computers wirelessly:
http://www.cme-pro.com/widi-bud/

Can a Roli rep comment?

hyperscientist wrote:And do you get a full polyphonic aftertouch in Live? I only get Press tracking of the last played note and I am certain that I choose correct settings in Dashboard (maybe they don't get saved to hardware…).
Live filters out polyphonic aftertouch. Why? Go on their forms and ask. Don't expect an answer though. They don't seem to care. (Oddly Push transmits it)
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
zerocrossing wrote:
hyperscientist wrote:And do you get a full polyphonic aftertouch in Live? I only get Press tracking of the last played note and I am certain that I choose correct settings in Dashboard (maybe they don't get saved to hardware…).
Live filters out polyphonic aftertouch. Why? Go on their forms and ask. Don't expect an answer though. They don't seem to care. (Oddly Push transmits it)
I believe you can set the Aftertouch mode to Channel Pressure... since each note is on it's own channel, you should still get the full 5D touch.

Here:
https://support.roli.com/article/using- ... eton-live/ (https://support.roli.com/article/using-the-seaboard-with-ableton-live/)

Here:
https://support.roli.com/article/channe ... ftertouch/ (https://support.roli.com/article/channel-pressure-or-polyaftertouch/)

I was playing around with the Seaboard Rise today in Long & McQuade in Vancouver.

Definitely takes a bit of getting used to.

I appreciated the various dimensions of expressivity and found myself building swells, slides and vibratos into my playing.

Touch is definitely light- meant to be touched lightly, stroked almost.. :) Not hammered. I did find myself maxxing out the strike velocity and pressure pretty easily. I wanted a bit more range there. I think I would get used to playing lightly, as that seems to be a good technique since there are no hammers here to move around... However sometimes it is very satisfying to hammer on keys... The physicality of it should really translate to a change in the sound!!!... MIDI is so old. 8 bits of resolution on velocity and pressure? I mean, really...

Equator sounds pretty good. Definitely a basic Sampler / Synthesizer / FM thing going on... the strength is it's presets being customized to the Rise.

I'm actually more excited about mapping to 3rd party plugins. The Arturia analog modeled synths, SWAM virtual acoustic instruments, Kontakt libraries and AAS Physical Modeling instruments (String Studio, Tassman, etc) come to mind... also GeoShred (iPad). I believe any instrument that supports multi-channel input and correctly isolates the pitch bend, aftertouch and CC parameters for each note on each channel will work. I would love to play CS-80V and Jupiter-8V sounds with this thing... Oh yes!

I did notice a couple times in my 2 hour play session that I got a couple stuck notes... I think this may have been an Equator software issue, because Equator normally shows the held touches on the bottom, and I did not see my touches stick when I released the notes- only the sound stuck... This suggests to me that Equator knows that I released the note, but somehow this did not translate to the sound of the note actually being released. I'm not sure if anyone else has experienced stuck notes with this?

I really appreciated the sliders that control the sensitivity of the various axes of touch... Especially the bend sensitivity. When it is high, it is very free form- I almost found it hard to play in tune, because slight side to side movements would bend the sound. I turned it down a little, which was perfect for most patches, allowing me to slide between notes while still tracking the exact pitches of the notes pretty closely... For theremin and string type sounds, the bend sensitivity works well near max....

Slide front to back... It's relative. I both like and dislike this... I like that the Rise sends negative slide when I move forward on the key from my initial strike position, and positive when I move backward from the initial strike position. But I also wanted to be able to have the absolute position of my finger on the key sent... This would allow me to, say, strike the key farther back to achieve a different initial sound than if I strike up front... As it is, slide is really only useful to shape the timbre of notes already held--- very similar to pressure... It does not affect the initial timbre of the sound based on the position you strike the key... I would like to see an 'absolute' mode for slide. :)

The feel of the keywaves... I really like the way the rubber pushes back, and gives a sense of haptic feedback for pressing harder. It's much nicer than playing on an iPad. It also means I can play with my eyes closed. Even without seeing the keywaves, I can feel where they are because they are raised. This sense of receiving touch feedback is really important for a musical instrument, in my opinion. I can imagine with a bit of practice that it'll be possible to intuit where notes are better, because the keywaves give that tactile feedback.

A very expressive surface to play well designed patches... It also means that patch designers will have to work to make something that responds to the various dimensions of information coming from it... I found myself wanting to map a strike and pressure to various envelope settings... One natural thing is for pressure to control amplitude, drive, open filter, etc of a sustained sound and for strike to control the attack harmonics and shape... Soft strike, softer slow attack. Fast strike, sharp percussive or plucked attack... This would take a flexible synth engine with good CC mapping to be able to pull off...

I really think the possibilities of this instrument are just beginning... there are so many musical plugins nowadays that could really benefit from a controller like this. Now, if Roli were to send me one, I would happily work to achieve compatibility and make patches for various synths. ;-)

Cheers,
Mark R

markrrr wrote:
Slide front to back... It's relative. I both like and dislike this... I like that the Rise sends negative slide when I move forward on the key from my initial strike position, and positive when I move backward from the initial strike position. But I also wanted to be able to have the absolute position of my finger on the key sent... This would allow me to, say, strike the key farther back to achieve a different initial sound than if I strike up front... As it is, slide is really only useful to shape the timbre of notes already held--- very similar to pressure... It does not affect the initial timbre of the sound based on the position you strike the key... I would like to see an 'absolute' mode for slide. :)
Cheers,
Mark R
That is a bit disappointing to hear... I had assumed absolute was at least possible.

pdxindy wrote:
markrrr wrote:
Cheers,
Mark R
That is a bit disappointing to hear... I had assumed absolute was at least possible.

Hi there,

Absolute is possible.

When the RISE is in Multi-Channel Mode with MPE set to 'Off', Slide is relative. Regardless of where your finger lands on the keywave vertically, you will have a starting value of 64. Movement upwards or downwards from the initial contact point will be relative and result in values between 64 and 127 or 64 and 0 respectively. Reducing the Slide Touch Fader position will reduce the distance you have to "Slide" to reach the maximum (or minimum) Slide value.

When RISE is in Multi-Channel Mode with MPE set to 'On', Slide behaviour is absolute at the initial point of contact. For example, if your finger lands at the very bottom of the keywave it will result in a value of 0 (or very near 0). Landing in the middle of the keywave will result in values around 64, and at the top near 127. Reducing the Slide Touch Fader position in this mode will also reduce the distance you have to "Slide" from the initial point of contact to reach the maximum (or minimum) Slide value. In other words initial contact is absolute and additional movement is relative.

I hope this clears the matter up for you.

This is the largest thread I could find online on the Seaboard Rise.

I've had the Rise 25 since launch and absolutely love it. It took awhile to get to me but it was worth the wait. I'm now getting a Rise 49 and will post a review vs the 25 (should be similar!).

Question I have for everyone is - the latest update to Roli Equator was suppose to add 100 new patches but I only got roughly 40 new patches, did anyone else get a full 100 new patches??

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”