Roland System 500 - eurorack modules...opinions ?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

http://www.roland.com/aira/promos/airamodular/

SYSTEM-500

Based on the legendary SYSTEM-700 and SYSTEM-100M, the SYSTEM-500 introduces a range of fully analog Eurorack modules inspired by two of the most revered electronic instruments of all time. They include classic Roland oscillators, filters, envelopes and effects that can easily integrate into any existing Eurorack setup or form the centerpiece of a new modular system. Designed and built in the USA, each SYSTEM-500 module is made to exacting standards with top-quality components and extreme attention to detail. They sound as good as they look with classic character and modern reliability. And they're surprisingly affordable, turning the fantasy of finally owning a Roland modular synthesizer into reality.

probably too early to comment...but I'm curious what seasoned eurorack people think of these modules ?

also interesting to note that the last couple of times Roland have ventured in to analogue, they've had 3rd parties build them (in this case Mallekko make the system 500 modules, and the 'drift box' already existed - just had a Roland badge plastered on t).

I think they sound fantastic and they certainly have a place in the growing eurorack market. There are lots of recreations of Moog and Korg stuff in euro format, some Roland-like filters but not a lot. I wish Josh and everyone at Malekko/Darkplace nothing but luck with their Roland collaboration.

That said, it's not the direction I'm going with my system at the moment. I always liked the Wiard/Richter/Malekko modules over the stuff that's focused on subtractive sounds. I know that these things can be patched anyway you like but it's more a personal taste thing. I also find the short throw of the faders is not ideal for getting precise settings (particularly on the evelopes). Again, that's not to say they are poor. I just prefer rotary controls over faders, in general, when it comes to the space constraints of euro panels (unless the fader is taking up, like the whole panel). Just my $0.02

justin3am wrote:I think they sound fantastic
Full Stop!

I don't like a lot of the recent Roland digital stuff, but I got to play with these a couple of months ago and they are spot on.

they sound like roland. that sound that people love about roland.. these have it. they aren't a clone of any one thing but playing with them the first thought i had was "these things sound like roland". if you've played a 101 or 202 or any vintage roland thing.. these are part of that family but updated with oscillators that track really well and lot's of modulation flexibility. they're a good value imo too. 2 oscillators, 2 filters, 2 vca's, 2 envelopes + LFOs... and everything has mixers etc.. they make a nice system and are a complete instrument imo. add a controller or sequencer or midi to CV converter and you're on your way. flexible monosynth.

justin3am wrote:I also find the short throw of the faders is not ideal for getting precise settings (particularly on the evelopes).

very good point...

at any rate, the opinions sound promising ... but owning some classic roland gear I'm not sure these might be the most imaginative way to kick start a eurorack setup...

Roland and their short throw faders. I love my JP-08 but those faders though!!! GRR

Stupid American Pig wrote:Roland and their short throw faders. I love my JP-08 but those faders though!!! GRR
Yeah, but, and I'm just going to say it, Eurorack is just too small to begin with, so you kind of have to get used to cramped and fiddly settings. I agree though, that faders are more of a pain when they're too short than a knob that takes a similar amount of space.

I want to buy a system-500 and a make noise cartesian.

I'll probably start with the make noise system first though.

The system500 is the closest i'll probablyever get to owning a system 100m which has been a dream
Of mine :pray:
:borg:

I am ordering the modules and case but see a few omissions that would have been nice for the 4hp space leftover in the case. Buffered multiple would be good. I'm looking at a couple 2hp modules to fill the space. Malekko has some 2hp modules but in silver. Would be nice if they had black option to match the rest of the scheme, even if no Roland logo. You would have half the logo of the other modules.

It was a tough decision to either grab the Roland complete module set or build a Harvestman Polivoks complete set. I love the classic sounds and straightforward modular design, but already have three Mother 32's for Moog sound. Polivoks or classic Roland is a nice compliment to Moog. Polivoks would get more mayhem and gritty oriented sounds, but the Roland has won out for next modular purchase.
"I am a meat popsicle"
Soundcloud Vondragonnoggin
Soundclick Wormhelmet

Its funny; although Ive always known the Roland'sas one of the 'classic' modulars, Ive never really been interested in them. Its always nice to see more choice in Euro, but it just doesnt grab me. And no proper bandpass, which Ive always preferred.
If I had the money, and someone was making me buy a built 1-row system I'd be far more inclined to throw it at a MakeNoise System Concrete.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

I ordered mine. Not the complete system, but the case and the 5 modules for the same price as the complete. Don't have to wait an extra month or two and I have a bucket full of assorted patch cables already. I thought that a 4hp Expert Sleepers Disting Mk3 would be better than the 4hp blank panel too, so I have one of those coming to fill the remaining 4hp. Turns out the VCO's are coupled easily and a single cv pitch can be sent to both VCO's by the top "key" jack, so no multiple needed. The Disting module is a whole lot of things in one.

I couldn't resist after getting the three tier Mother 32 setup. Classic Moog sounds, classic Roland sounds.

After those, I'm going to look at some other builders modules. There are a lot of clever designers. Make Noise systems do look appealing. The Rene sequencer, wogglebug, Maths modules all look like fun.
"I am a meat popsicle"
Soundclick Wormhelmet

damn, wormhelmet, you spending money like a boss.

Daags wrote:damn, wormhelmet, you spending money like a boss.

YOLO

8)

Tax Returns were good to me. They took enough out.
"I am a meat popsicle"
Soundclick Wormhelmet

Wormhelmet wrote:
Daags wrote:damn, wormhelmet, you spending money like a boss.

YOLO

8)

Tax Returns were good to me. They took enough out.

tru dat. I blew a not insignifcant chunk of my eurorack warchest (i was saving for the summer time when I have no academic obligations) on a mint condition Tempest - yolo!

I had a Roland 100M system waaaaay back, pre-MIDI, and when MIDI arrived I saw the writing was on the wall for CV :lol: and sold it!

I don't regret it. At the time it was one of the few 'affordable' modular synths available. I also had a couple of Roland keyboard synths before that but I always thought the Roland filters a bit thin. But that's just me.

2nd hand, I don't think 100M systems are relatively any more expensive than they were initially. But probably rather more than the System 500 although that's still not cheap.

Anyway, only heard YT demos of the 500 and it still sounds thinnish. Maybe I need new speakers :) - or ears!

My modular direction would be to pick individual modules rather than buy a bunch of 'ready to go' ones but everyone's different there. If I had lots of money and space I might be tempted as a starter system but, given the hundreds of modules available now, I'd want to explore them! :)

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”