Synths loaded with CHARACTER - what's yours?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Arturia MiniBrute

For me it's:

Uhe Ace
Roland System 1
Arturia V collection
Spectrasonic Omnisphere

Rapture and Z3ta since Im a sonar user are both fun to use and synthmaster is my absolute fave in terms of presets along with OPX.

I have scanned synth pro and it's got some really useful presets and using the random generator is always cool. Wish all synths would add this feature.

Among the synths I recently took a look at I have to say all the korg stuff is great for period character and gforce synths rock as well. Air AAS and Arturia also make my list but on the other end of the alphabet Uhe and Xils lab work plus NI synths, Lush and Lin Plugs Spectral is looking to get used in the near future.

I'd say on the whole my favorites are the moogs and it can be any synths moog sound, I like them all. To have character a synth has to be able to get moogy. If I can't get moogy with it then its just not for me. I may be identifying character with a synths inner moog.

Phonem.

elxsound wrote:Madronalabs' Aalto

Yup, definitively!

Imposcar 2

Aalto, A.C.E, Bazille, ...

For hardware ... Arp2600, Buchla 200e, and Arturia's Minibrute.
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

I think it is:

Arto Vaarala - Kirnu_1_2_1_Win32

That is 32 characters, think that is the one with most in my VST folder

Even though SymptohmPE_vstwin_x64 comes close with 21 characters

AnX wrote:Arturia MiniBrute
+1

A very surprising synth
Amazon: why not use an alternative

microtera
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

I like character synthesizers.

Sometime it can be too much but I think PPG Wave 3.v wins

It can make some pretty impressive lo-fi wavetable glitch sounds. It also does warm musical sounds with it's analog filter emulation.

The CPU usage is low, it's multi-timberal and as a bonus it can play samples.

I like it for quick vintage pad sounds. The limitations on it make you approach sound design a bit differently.

Another great Low-Cpu character synth that I often like to use and abuse is Digital Suburbans Dexed. It's free but the amount of strange sounds that you can Coax out of this is always intriguing. It's actually great for creating drones or sci-fi sounds. I think the quality is easily on par with a commercial synth.

When i need something super different i often load up Reaktor 6. You never seem to run out of strange instruments when you browse the user library. Then of course there is the ability to make your dream synth using blocks.
:borg:

Stretching the "synth" label a little, but what the hey, that's what it's for: TAL-Sampler. Buckets of character.

I can't choose just one ...

Doepfer Dark Energy
Teisco 60F
Arturia Microbrute

SugarBytes Cyclop
Admiral Quality Poly-Ana
Vember Audio Surge

ariston wrote:Stretching the "synth" label a little, but what the hey, that's what it's for: TAL-Sampler. Buckets of character.
Another good choice I didn't think of! I think you and me have the same taste :)

/C
CLUB VICE for ARTURIA PIGMENTS
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

Poly-Ana definitely has a lot of character to it.
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

Return to “Instruments”