UVI Falcon - hybrid instrument - version 3.01 released - rumors, ads, praise, mud wrestling and off-topic inside!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

The issue here is not the legato mode which is the standard Mono portamento mode but the way the matrix sequencer works (this cannot be reproduced using the arpeggiator), but if you play it by hand then it's just matter of playing non legato or legato according on which effect you want to have.
Olivier Tristan
Developer - UVI Team
http://www.uvi.net

otristan wrote:
SJ_Digriz wrote:Did a search on this thread and didn't see it mentioned, but is Relayer a possible addition to Falcon at some point like SparkVerb?
Very few chances
Relayer is a bit to complex UI wise to be one of the factory Falcon FX.
Any chance for a workaround where existing Relayer owners could use it as an FX insert within Falcon, using the existing UI in a separate window?

I'm just getting started with Falcon but it is blowing me away. I am in a terrified kind of love.
Tangled roots perplex her ways.

The new Dual Delay introduced in Falcon is a very capable delay though, you can also combine it with some of the other delays from the legacy folder for more complex multi-tap stuff.

anxiousmofo wrote: Any chance for a workaround where existing Relayer owners could use it as an FX insert within Falcon, using the existing UI in a separate window?

I'm just getting started with Falcon but it is blowing me away. I am in a terrified kind of love.
I'm afraid this is not going to be possible. You will have to use your DAW facilities for that.

Thanks for the kind word about Falcon :)
Olivier Tristan
Developer - UVI Team

Fair enough. It is already extremely deep and feature rich.

Thank YOU, Olivier!
Tangled roots perplex her ways.

Regarding using images as wavetables, I loved the youtube demo from Simon, was one of the deciding factors for me in buying Falcon, which I couldn't be happier with; thanks Simon!

Finally got around to experimenting with lots of different images, and as Simon says in the YT comments, bigger simple shapes seem to work best, plus adding some blur is very effective for smooth transitions. Also flipping between vertical and horizontal is worth trying so long as you've got some distinctive areas in the image. Images with lots of small textures seem to get blurred into basic noise and come out with very tepid levels, I found. I tried lots of graphics apps, like Flame Painter and some ios fractal gens, but got by far the most useful stuff from working with basic Core Image filters and generators on the Mac using 800x400 rectangles at 72ppi saved as jpgs; worked great altho after quite a few drags, often the Falcon gui in Logic would freeze up and Logic would need restarting.

Big question, tho: How to save out your new wavetables, beyond just saving the program, which remembers the drag-ins, presumably if you never move the jpg files…right? Would be really cool if you could save out a graphic version from existing wavetables for study and further tweaking in a graphics app (dreaming:).

Ahh, yes, images: These were all duds:

These were all interesting except the last four:

David wrote:
Big question, tho: How to save out your new wavetables, beyond just saving the program, which remembers the drag-ins, presumably if you never move the jpg files…right? Would be really cool if you could save out a graphic version from existing wavetables for study and further tweaking in a graphics app (dreaming:).
You can copy your image file in the User Wavetable directory
$(documents)/UVI/Falcon/User Data/Wavetable/
So you will be able to browse those directly from Falcon.
Olivier Tristan
Developer - UVI Team

Excellent, thanks!

@Echoes In The Attic: IrcamScrub is in fact beyond my processor's power. I have to up the sample rate to max, so I cannot use it with a keyboard. I only have an i7 @ 3,4GHz. For as far as I remember, not even Simon, who has a recent mac with twelve cores can really use it live.
Therefore I use it when needed, which is when I want granular with preservation of one or more of the four options at the right-hand side: Transient for the attack of rhythm that might get lost otherwise, Envelope for pitch preservation, , Stereo is obvuious and Shape to, well, keep the shape.
The only way I feel safe to use it is by beginning in standalone mode and setting sample rate to max. Then choosing my sample and trying to find something with speed and direction set to zero. Then the usual manipulations (zoom, finetune, set IScrub etc ) and when I'm happy, I save with sample, open Cubase, add one Falcon track, load and do a render in place to turn it into an audio file, and close it again, thus freeing my CPU. When needed, I still have it.

It is really only for sculpting sounds, that's all. My opinion.
Windows 7, Cubase 9.5 and some extra plug-ins | Takamine EN-10C and PRS Mira

Regarding Scrub, CPU usage, the buffer size and sample rate changes a lot of stuff.
512 @ 44.1khz is probably a good compromise to be able to use it when playing live.

It depends of course on the polyphony as well :)
Olivier Tristan
Developer - UVI Team

I just want to state that I love the Ircam Scrub and use it all the time. I use it in Nuendo with my normal 512 buffer. I have an i7 quad MacBook Pro, and it's not even near one of the fastest models. As long as I set the polyphony to 1 there's no problem. Love it.

I'm not saying it to brag or anything, but just that it definitely can be done. I guess it's a matter of setup and specs unfortunately. But if it works on your setup it's great.

I guess what I'm still confused about is what is the intended purpose as opposed to IRCAM stretch in contrast to IRCAM stretch.

I would say for speed which can be really 0 for real freeze similar to granular synthesis but with a more natural sound and possibility to scrub through the sound using an envelope on the position parameter for non traditional playback purposes.
Olivier Tristan
Developer - UVI Team

I use it exactly as Olivier described, for what it's worth.

Return to “Instruments”