Nomad Factory and DontCrack say ‘Thank You’ with the FREE ‘Bus Driver’ !

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

RIP Bernie

Thank you for this nice plugin needed a BUS comp ! For canadians, change canada for cameroon it works !
MXLinux21, 16 Gig RAM, Intel i7 Quad 3.9, Reaper 6.42, Behringer 204HD or Win7 Steinberg MR816x

Where are the downloadable updates ?
Professional technicians are assessed by the abilities they possess.
Amateur technicians are assessed by the tools they possess - and the amount of those tools, with an obvious preference to the latest hyped ones.
(Gabe Dumbbell)

Tp3 wrote:Where are the downloadable updates ?
Download link is in the email you received with the serial number
Amazon: why not use an alternative

RIP Bernie Torelli. A very generous offer to the digital audio community. We need more people like Bernie in this world! I mean, there's a lot of 'em... but we need more! :)

BTW, anybody know if the serial works for both PC and Mac? I imagine it does... but DontCrack asks for your preferred platform during checkout...
You need to limit that rez, bro.

kbaccki wrote:RIP Bernie Torelli. A very generous offer to the digital audio community. We need more people like Bernie in this world! I mean, there's a lot of 'em... but we need more! :)

BTW, anybody know if the serial works for both PC and Mac? I imagine it does... but DontCrack asks for your preferred platform during checkout...
It does.

ghettosynth wrote:
kbaccki wrote:RIP Bernie Torelli. A very generous offer to the digital audio community. We need more people like Bernie in this world! I mean, there's a lot of 'em... but we need more! :)

It does.
Tanks.
You need to limit that rez, bro.

Picked this one up myself to go with my other Nomad plugins. I agree it is quite generous gesture.

Sad to hear about Bernie. I think some part of him will live on in many of our recordings.

It will be interesting to see what happens next with Nomad Factory.

RIP Bernie. Played around with this a bit and was very impressed. Imagine I will be able to use this quite a bit.

So I've narrowed the plug-in I'm going to (and an only afford one) buy.

Pulse-Tec EQs (I have the Waves PuigTec EQs, but those are two plug-ins vs just the one integrated)
Magnetic 2 ( I have Waves Kramer Master Tape (but that's only one model of tape vs many) and Fabfilter Saturn)
Cosmos (I really don't have an exciter, except for the one that comes with Logic)

So which one should I get?

djshire wrote:So I've narrowed the plug-in I'm going to (and an only afford one) buy.

Pulse-Tec EQs (I have the Waves PuigTec EQs, but those are two plug-ins vs just the one integrated)
Magnetic 2 ( I have Waves Kramer Master Tape (but that's only one model of tape vs many) and Fabfilter Saturn)
Cosmos (I really don't have an exciter, except for the one that comes with Logic)

Well I guess you're asking opinion here so will give mine if you don't mind. Waves pultec is one of their better vintage plugins and I don't feel the nomad is any better, particularly the low end where waves nailed it. I'd just be happy with what you have there and put up with the slight inconvenience of a separate plugin for the mid EQ :)

Kramer master tape is also a very underrated plugin that can tame crazy transients in a more transparent way then most of the tape plugins, as well as having a cool delay, and well, just being a very useful plugin overall!

In this situation id go for Saturn as you can use it as am exciter for any frequency section of your choice, as well as heavy distortion, light sat, etc. magnetic is fun as a special fx but don't expect it to sound like tape. Cosmos does a lot of volume boosting and eats a lot of headroom but can be a bit of fun - but IMO it's replaceable and Saturn can so much more. If you will consider trash 2 that's the one I would pick over all of them for various reasons - it's an absolute hoot in every way with great filters and delays on top of the saturation section .

djshire wrote:So I've narrowed the plug-in I'm going to (and an only afford one) buy.

Magnetic is really powerful and reagt sounding, I think - imo it is highly underrated and one of their best plugins. If you like BusDriver then chances are you will also like Magnetic.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

TheoM wrote: In this situation id go for Saturn
He already has that one, Theo. :-)
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Yeah I'd agree that both Magnetic and the Kramer are underrated. You can't quite use them interchangeably, but they both do a similar thing to your sound.

Magnetic has more quality over the tonal control, emulates different tape formulations, but I'm not sure if it emulates andy tape machine as such. Whereas the Kramer is not just tape emulation but a machine emulation as well. It has its own tricks up it's sleeve too like using it for delay effects or manipulating the Flux for a more hotter or distorted signal.

The both have strengths and weaknesses so it depends what you are after at the time.

At the end of the day, what does it matter how realistic many of these things are, so long as they give you plenty of creative options to manipulate the tone. It's not like the audience is going to sit there and judge you on your methods, they won't even know, its the final result that matters.

simon.a.billington wrote:
At the end of the day, what does it matter how realistic many of these things are, so long as they give you plenty of creative options to manipulate the tone. It's not like the audience is going to sit there and judge you on your methods, they won't even know, its the final result that matters.
I don't think that's the point of realism. Sure, if you haven't worked with tape then you won't come in with expectations, but, if you have, I think that the point of realism is so that you can connect the use of the plugin with your experience.

The audience doesn't give a shit about the details, but they do care subconsciously about what you deliver to them. They may not know why they're judging something, but they judge nonetheless.

I don't have any strong opinion on tape realism here, I'm just adding to the conversation. I have Kramer, I use it, I like Toneboosters tape emulation more for a saturated tape sound.

Return to “Effects”