UVI Falcon - hybrid instrument - version 3.01 released - rumors, ads, praise, mud wrestling and off-topic inside!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

I think about it almost every day and curse the lack of right-click support where it matters most. :x

+42 on the right click.
Initially I did not find the long click and failed to understand how people achieved the switch between different oscillators. I see absolutely not need for introducing a completely alien kind of GUI interaction that is in no way expected or self-explanatory when there is something that everybody knows and will try.
Falcon does not really lend itself to touchscreen use IMO so the only area where this may be of value is also of no real consequence.

So yes, please change it (or at least add right click to do the same).

Thanks and cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
Sculptures ScreenDream Mastodon

ThomasHelzle wrote:(or at least add right click to do the same)
That would do!

ThomasHelzle wrote:+42 on the right click.
Initially I did not find the long click and failed to understand how people achieved the switch between different oscillators. I see absolutely not need for introducing a completely alien kind of GUI interaction that is in no way expected or self-explanatory when there is something that everybody knows and will try.
Falcon does not really lend itself to touchscreen use IMO so the only area where this may be of value is also of no real consequence.

So yes, please change it (or at least add right click to do the same).

Thanks and cheers,

Tom
Actually Falcon is pretty good for touch screen except for a couple show stoppers. For one thing the controls of falcon are multi-touchable, so you can simultaneously control more than one parameter by touch. It's rare for plug-ins to work that way. Also the controls are fairly well spaced apart which helps and the selection of sample regions works well. The main issues are with the long-click (which also disappears on me using a mouse so it's equally frustrating that way sometimes) and also the fact that with touch you can't right-click when a portion of the waveform is selected, since right click happens with a held press and it makes the selection go away. This would be easily solvable if the waveform right-click menu was a menu button in the oscillator header, beside the info (i) button and edit (gear icons) buttons. That's where it should be. Aside from issues like that it works pretty well with touch.

Another note - There should not be functions where a click does something that isn't reversible like when you click the oscillator header it folds up, but clicking it again does not unfold, you need to click the osc tab.

Echoes in the Attic wrote:Actually Falcon is pretty good for touch screen
I stand corrected.
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi

ThomasHelzle wrote:
Echoes in the Attic wrote:Actually Falcon is pretty good for touch screen
I stand corrected.
Well not entirely. You're right that things like the envelopes, especially multi-stage envelopes, don't really lend themselves well to touch since they are rather small things to grab ahold of. But a surface type pen works fairly well in those situations.

The damn long press doesn't even work for me using a mouse. It pops open the menu for second and it goes away when I release the mouse button. So I can't change sample oscillators. You UVI guys gotta change this please.

Couple other issues:

Also, not getting any playback when I increase the start position of the sample osc. It just stops playing anything.

IRCAM scrub results in massive cpu spikes. Can't really use it. I realize IRCAM stretch is mainly for offline stuff, but it seems like scrub would be made for playback. Except it can't often be used for playback as cpu bounces like nuts and glitches out.

The Ircam Scrub is a better quality version of Ircam Granular and uses the same algorithm as Ircam Stretch. So it is not meant for live performances. Most, if not all, electronics at Ircam are for recording.

Sample start does work when the cursor is placed beyond its setting, which is logical as you only want to start beyond it.
Windows 7, Cubase 9.5 and some extra plug-ins | Takamine EN-10C and PRS Mira

Next version will have the mouse right click on module tab to change the module type.

@Echoes in the Attic Issue with start position of the sample osc is a known bug and is already fixed in the next version.
Olivier Tristan
Developer - UVI Team
http://www.uvi.net

Awesome, Olivier!

Is this the only place where long press is expected, on module tabs? I can't recall any other places...

EvilDragon wrote:Awesome, Olivier!

Is this the only place where long press is expected, on module tabs? I can't recall any other places...
Yes. Other places where this was used (mixer FX, connection sources) already allowed right click as well.
Olivier Tristan
Developer - UVI Team
http://www.uvi.net

:tu:

otristan wrote:Next version will have the mouse right click on module tab to change the module type.

@Echoes in the Attic Issue with start position of the sample osc is a known bug and is already fixed in the next version.
Good stuff!

ErikH wrote:The Ircam Scrub is a better quality version of Ircam Granular and uses the same algorithm as Ircam Stretch. So it is not meant for live performances. Most, if not all, electronics at Ircam are for recording.
I guess I'm confused about the point of the scrub oscillator then. I get it if stretch is meant only to play something back at a different tempo to record it. But scrub seems like it is meant to play with your keyboard as an oscillator. What is the intent of the scrub oscillator then and how is it meant to be used?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxBrGPw ... freload=10

I tried to figure out the legato mode in Falcon to make the same sequence in falcon. I cant.

Its is Reasons Thor synth that is been used in the clip.

Can anybody help on this ?

Best regards

Peter

Return to “Instruments”