Synths loaded with CHARACTER - what's yours?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

What's your favourite synths that is loaded with character?
I know that character is highly subjective - but what I am after is synths that doesn't sound like (or is trying to sound like) everything already on the market :) Doesn't have to be software.

The first synth that comes to my mind is the old synth plugin OLGA - that's a synth with some serious character :tu:

/C
CLUB VICE for ARTURIA PIGMENTS
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

Olga, and Oddity 2. Then: Phosphor and Synplant come to mind.

Madronalabs' Aalto

Definitely Olga!

Glass Viper (VSTi) and Nanoloop (Gameboy/Android/iOS).
Every man and every woman is a star.

http://www.musicalandroid.com/

AAS Chromaphone (and V2 is due for release anytime soon!) is at the top of my list. I thought of it as a mallet machine and realized it is a fantastic synth. Arcsynth is phenominal as well. Even though it is fairly new, it is quickly becoming a fav around here.

ariston wrote:Olga, and Oddity 2. Then: Phosphor and Synplant come to mind.
Oddity 2 - I totally forgot about that one (which is weird since I am a huge Gmedia fan). Phosphor! Forgot about that one too :tu:

/C
CLUB VICE for ARTURIA PIGMENTS
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

That's easy: Waldorf PPG Wave 3.V
One of my all time favorite synths.

Overall i like the sound character of the Waldorf synths. Besides PPG 3.V i also got Largo, Nave, Waldorf Edition 2, Lector (vocoder) and as hadware Walddorf Blofeld desktop, Pulse 2 and Streichfett.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Virus TI. That's CHARACTER in capitals.

Other than that - Spire, Sylenth, Massive and Monark
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

Chromaphone, Bazille and especially Modelonia (that i should update to V.2) are The QUIRK!
"It dreamed itself along"

Not my favorite synth, but Scanned Synth Pro. It's the only one in my collection that has a neon green mohawk and 20 facial piercings while the others are still in their casual Fridays.

Excluding -

My two favorites (atm) that i believe do have strong "character" as well - Padshop Pro & Harmor.

Many!!
- NI Razor, Monark and Kontour
- Korg KLC synths
- Arturia synths
- Bazille
- Dune 2
- Air synths (Loom, Vacuum Pro and Hybrid3)
- Waves Element and Codex
- Virtual CZ
- Blofeld

Ridan wrote:Not my favorite synth, but Scanned Synth Pro. It's the only one in my collection that has a neon green mohawk and 20 facial piercings while the others are still in their casual Fridays.

Excluding -

My two favorites (atm) that i believe do have strong "character" as well - Padshop Pro & Harmor.
+1 for scanned synth pro. i bought enzyme because of my like for ssp...unfortunately i dont like it nearly as much.

though my official answer is going to have to be synplant.
ImageImageImage

Diva.

I have also tried Largo and it has a lot of character.

Razor quite a bit,
dedication to flying

I guess Massive is the one that comes to mind first. Its wavetables, filters and effects have their own particular sound which, despite the broad range of sounds it can do, is always kind of there. Some of Massive's wavetables are so distinctive and unique to it that it really is possible to readily pick it out when you hear a new song sometimes, as with a handful of classic synths like the PPG.
http://www.davidvector.com
New album, Chasing Fire, out now on Amazon, iTunes, etc.
Bandcamp: https://davidvector.bandcamp.com/releases

u-He's free synth Podolski always seems to me to have a different character. Not sure why, though...

Return to “Instruments”