Kontakt 5 font size & color

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm visually impaired and due to that I've problems with some color, font size etc on various GUIs.

From what I understand you can change teh font size (and colors?) on Native Instrument's Kontakt 5.

Is this correct?
And...

Could somebody please provide a picture showign how big fonts you can have?

What I really really want to know is if it's possible to have pretty large bright fonts on a black/dark background. Especially in the bowser.

Thanks in advance !

Google brought me right back to KVR (surprise): http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=340218 Hope this still works; it's an old post.

[edit] I missed the part about the browser. My advice here won't do any good there. Ah well.

In interface browser you can only choose normal or large font, both fairly tiny. There are different fonts to use in custom scripted guis, but still they ain't quite bigger.

Can a skin maker render text into the front-panel graphic and tell Kontakt not to add text at all? If not, the method at my link won't do much good.

If you're on Windows 7 or higher try the built-in system-wide magnifier tool with these shortcuts:

start magnifier and zoom in: Win + plus key (+)
zoom out: Win + minus key (-)
exit magnifier: Win + Esc

I use this all the time.

NAD wrote:If you're on Windows 7 or higher try the built-in system-wide magnifier tool with these shortcuts:

start magnifier and zoom in: Win + plus key (+)
zoom out: Win + minus key (-)
exit magnifier: Win + Esc

I use this all the time.
Funny you mentioned Windows 7. I'm about to install it this weekend.

I've read, somewhere, that the desktop zom tool doesn't work well when you use a high contrast theme on Win 7.

Can you confirm this?

(btw is it possible to customize the hot keys? Like, say, win + lft mouse button to zoom in and win + right to zoom out)

Oh, only two font sizes and non of them look good. OK. Looks likeI've to go for one of the other big samplers instead...

Other big samplers (of which there aren't many really) don't even offer a bigger font choice for the browser and the dropdown menus like Kontakt does. Falcon - nope. PLAY - nope. Independence - nope.

Which other samplers did you have in mind?

sfd wrote:Funny you mentioned Windows 7. I'm about to install it this weekend.
Funny you mentioned that cause I was was just reading a thread on the REAPER forum of someone considering upgrading from XP to 7. I was just about to respond that, even though I'm still on 7, if I were on XP now I would probably just skip right up to 10.

As far as I can tell the built-in hot-keys for zooming can't be changed but I'm positive there's dedicated software to do this.

I just checked the high contrast theme and indeed in such themes that have all the fancy window shading is turned off the magnifier works differently. Instead of zooming in the whole screen it just gives you a panel that shows what's under the mouse cursor.

NAD wrote:
sfd wrote:Funny you mentioned Windows 7. I'm about to install it this weekend.
Funny you mentioned that cause I was was just reading a thread on the REAPER forum of someone considering upgrading from XP to 7. I was just about to respond that, even though I'm still on 7, if I were on XP now I would probably just skip right up to 10.

As far as I can tell the built-in hot-keys for zooming can't be changed but I'm positive there's dedicated software to do this.

I just checked the high contrast theme and indeed in such themes that have all the fancy window shading is turned off the magnifier works differently. Instead of zooming in the whole screen it just gives you a panel that shows what's under the mouse cursor.
Like a magnifying glass? That's not good.

What if you create your own high contrast theme (birth fonts dark background). Maybe the desktop zoom will work normally on that?

EvilDragon wrote:Other big samplers (of which there aren't many really) don't even offer a bigger font choice for the browser and the dropdown menus like Kontakt does. Falcon - nope. PLAY - nope. Independence - nope.

Which other samplers did you have in mind?
I'm not sure. HAlion or Mach five maybe?

Do you own Kontakt 5?
Could you provide a screenshot to show how the big fonts looks like in the browser?

I own Kontakt 5, MachFive 3 (uninstalled as I upgraded to Falcon) and Independence. Out of all of them only Kontakt offers bigger font for browsing and dropdown menus. HALion doesn't offer that either, AFAIK.

Independence has the worst GUI out of them all (and yet Kontakt gets such a bad rap about its GUI, but it's not nearly that bad). The font is utterly unreadable, and my eyesight is perfect...

EvilDragon wrote:I own Kontakt 5, MachFive 3 (uninstalled as I upgraded to Falcon) and Independence. Out of all of them only Kontakt offers bigger font for browsing and dropdown menus. HALion doesn't offer that either, AFAIK.
Hm...considering the size of the images it doesn't look to bad. Trying to imagine how it would look like in full size with my screenresolution.

Maybe I should give it a try with the free player. Just to see for my self.

Open the screenshots in separate tabs so you can see them at 100%. These are all 1:1 as they appear on my screen, at 1920x1200.

EvilDragon wrote:[...]... Independence has the worst GUI out of them all (and yet Kontakt gets such a bad rap about its GUI, but it's not nearly that bad). The font is utterly unreadable, and my eyesight is perfect...
Agreed. I haven't used it in years, as it was so difficult for me to see past the Win-95 aesthetic, and was simply not "user" {that would be "me"} friendly. I really like Falcon's interface and modularity, though I don't have it (yet), and manage quite well with Kontakt, and I am about to embark on making my own interfaces/instruments for it.
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

Return to “Instruments”