Weird questions

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey guys, so sometimes i'm confused about some things, that i wanna know if it is right or not.
I'm gonna just ask some questions how if i can do that or if i can do that. If there is no right answer then please explain how you do it and why.

1. Can i put limiter on another mixer tracks?
2. Can i put compression on everything?
3. Should i plan out what effect should come after another ex. (EQ before sidechain or way around)?
4. Should i do mixing without a limiter on master and then put it when i master?

These are just some small things i was wondering about, and that's why i have them all in one topic.
Thanks again :)

Can i put limiter on another mixer tracks?
This is not a valid question.
Can i put compression on everything?
Watch Terminator 1 again. It shows the hazards of excessive compression.
Should i plan out what effect should come after another ex. (EQ before sidechain or way around)?
Yes, absolutely. As long as you apply nonlinear effects, in particular compression and distorion.
Should i do mixing without a limiter on master and then put it when i master?
I prefer to set limiter on and see how loud and dynamic the mix is. You can eventually tweak limiter after mixdown is right.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

Thanks for your answer?
What do you mean by that the 1. One isn't valid question?

Q1 is simply not clear. Try to rephrase it.

Q1 makes no sense to me either.

Yes, do think about you want to EQ the compressors output, or compress the EQ's output, just to give an example.

Regarding a limiter on the master, I'm of the opinion you should not. Use the mixing stage to get the best possible sound out of the mix. With a limiter on the master you won't notice for instance your kick is way too loud and needs some extra aggressive compression to keep it tamed while not hurtin your other tracks.
Once the mix is perfect you can move on to mastering to get it as loud as possible. Mastering is an art in itself, best left to people that are good at it. People have talents and I think you cannot be good at composing And playing keyboards / guitar / drums And arranging And producing And making synth patches And mixing And mastering And marketing And art work And web design.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

TimeToProduce wrote:Hey guys, so sometimes i'm confused about some things, that i wanna know if it is right or not.
I'm gonna just ask some questions how if i can do that or if i can do that. If there is no right answer then please explain how you do it and why.

3. Should i plan out what effect should come after another ex. (EQ before sidechain or way around)?
4. Should i do mixing without a limiter on master and then put it when i master?

These are just some small things i was wondering about, and that's why i have them all in one topic.
You can do all those things you mentioned and should.
Try every idea you have and see what the results will be.
The great producer once said:

"The only rule to recording is that there are no rules".....Eno

Thanks everyone for your responses.
In question 1 i was trying to say, can i, or do you use limiter on another things and not only on Master Channel. I mean does it make sense to use it because in my head i was thinking use it as volume boost and have a constant volume level when i have it on. Just like when you use it for mastering, when you put it on you can make things louder and limit things to the certain db level.

If you don't get it i understand and can ask another question instead, do you use limiter on other things than only on Master Channel?

TimeToProduce wrote:If you don't get it i understand and can ask another question instead, do you use limiter on other things than only on Master Channel?
Limiters on individual instruments or buses is fairly common. A fairly obvious example is the bass in Ghosts & Stuff - one of the video tutorials by Timofey out there shows it well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2Xab9PMth8 (It's right at the end, about 1:40-1:50min)

It's using the Live compressor rather than limiter to give more control over the attack, but it's being used more or less as a limiter. Drums can get the same treatment, particularly if it's a loop that runs underneath the main percussion.

Limiting on vocals gets used a fair amount, but not with this level of crushing.

You probably don't want to use a maximising/mastering limiter for the job though because of the latency it adds and, most of the time, you don't need all the functions of that kind of limiter.

A limiter is a compressor with the ratio set to infinite.
Sure you can apply that to single tracks instead of the master bus.
But if your single goal is to get it as loud as possible: your amp has a VOLUME KNOB which is far more effective than squashing your track to smithereens.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

TimeToProduce wrote:Hey guys, so sometimes i'm confused about some things, that i wanna know if it is right or not.

Yes to all four (but it depends).

1. You can, but you might be better of with compression. It depends on the material and what you are trying to do with it. If you're making very heavy bass stuff then limiting that bass (on it's own the channel) is perfectly reasonable.

2. You could. But you'd be better off learning why you should do it in the first place. Again, ask yourself what is the end goal of putting on the compressor? Is it to reduce the dynamic range, even out the source, side chaining the kick, or catching the transients. Or some another creative option.

3. It depends (again). Personally, I have an idea and a specific way I like to work with my FX. But there's no harm in switching up something if it sounds better. Which I often do.

4. It does'nt really matter... Some artists like to mix into a limiter some don't. I have done in the past. But now I like to mix everything without fx on the master. But sometimes I mix into very light compression on the master.

Basically don't worry too much about this. After a while you'll figure out what you like doing the best.
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

Do whatever sounds good to you. I'm reading some hype about a deceased star right now and the amount of bull about how they did this that and the other is ridiculous. Listening to the music makes me scratch my head in wonder.

1. Can i put limiter on another mixer tracks? Answer: What are you talking about?
2. Can i put compression on everything? Answer: if you like.
3. Should i plan out what effect should come after another ex. (EQ before sidechain or way around)? Answer: if you like. People who have made excellent recordings admit that they discover a lot by accident. No planning. Sometimes EQ is better before compression, sometimes it's better after. Try out both and see what works for you.
4. Should i do mixing without a limiter on master and then put it when i master? Answer: It's good to test you mix through a limiter so you know if your HiHats for example are too loud in the mix.

Small answers. Good luck. :)

Update: Just in case you thought I was joking about people discovering things by accident, here is a super relevant quote to support my claim.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Radcliffe
We often combine more than one [device] to create a sound. One particular one that sticks in my memory is the snare-drum sound on Yazoo's "Don't Go", I did that using the Lexicon 224 and 224x [reverbs] ganged together. We came across that sound entirely by accident, but then again, in the final analysis I think you discover almost everything by accident, just by fiddling around.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

1. If you mean "can I put limiter on every channel" then yes, you can. Especially at the sounddesign phase, it's good to have limiter at the end of the chain to avoid damaging your speakers.

2. Yes you can. Though personally I use compressor only to tame some nasty peaks and on a bus to glue stuff together.

3. I believe there's no any strict rules for this. There are uses for every type of assigning fx. For example eq before compressor sounds sligthly different that after compressor.

4. I always have limiter on master channel. Though I keep my channels volumes at max -12db or -8db. So there's no really other use for that limiter but to play safe IF there are something that could break the speakers.

And generally about mastering. If you're not studying to be a mastering engineer... Leave mastering to mastering engineer :D Audioanimals do it with very low costs and sounds better than, dare I say, any bedroom "masterer".

Return to “Production Techniques”