Virus TI & Maschine (& USB hubs)...talk to me.

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Arse...spoke too soon. Still getting intermittent USB audio failure. Either sounds drops or a get a constant buzz/drone. Have to restart virus to fix. Can't put my finger on it but probably something to do with the USB bus. Very frustrating because it sounds so good when it works.

Tempted to try an Elektron Overhub with it's MTT tech.
Last edited by db3 on Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

You can get MTT hubs for a lot less than that. I have a powered one that works fine with my Ti.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Manhattan-7-Por ... =computers

db3 wrote:Arse...spoke too soon. Still getting intermittent USB audio failure. Either sounds drops or a get a constant buzz/drone. Have to restart virus to fix. Can't put my finger on it but probably something to do with the USB bus. Very frustrating because it sounds so good when it works.

Tempted to try an Elektron Overhub with it's MTT tech.
If you try Overhub, please report back. I'm in the same boat. Good luck!

The more I think about it I don't think another hub will help. I have the same issue (sound drops out or I just get a loud buzz) when only 2 of my 4 USB ports are in use. It's weird because it ran fine for a couple of hours yesterday, and then in the evening it kept screwing up after a minute of use. I must have restarted the virus and my Mac at least a dozen times with different USB configurations. :x

I'm wondering whether it's because I only have one USB bus in my mac. One way around that might be to get a USB hub which runs off the thunderbolt port.

It is recommended to keep Virus on a dedicated USB hub. That is, nothing excpet maybe for a mouse should share the same USB hub.

It is also often advised, in case of USB problems, to buy a USB pci-e card and have Virus as the only devise connected to it. In didn't try this myself though, my Virus behaves good so far
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

Yeah I've tried virus on both it's own port and it's own hub. Same issue with the loud buzzing noise. I read somewhere that TI issues might be due to the way the mac USB bus is wired. So while I can't add a PCI card, perhaps a thunderbolt to USB adaptor would achieve the same thing by creating a seperate USB data bus.

I know I'm going to tempt fate....but last few hours I've not had an issue after connecting virus to one mac USB port and then all my other devices to a hub connected to another USB port. Fingers crossed!

*edit*
Worked fine all afternoon, so I shut everything down and then restarted. Problem reappeared. Makes no sense! :x

OP also asked about latency, as far as that is concerned over TI mode (which i presume is what was meant), it's double your chosen audio buffer. So if i put 64 in logic and load up the ti over USB and arm that instrument track, i get an output latency of around 6ms. Not too bad at all. (basically it's going to be double all your other soft synths.. it won't be an issue IF you can monitor it using the physical outs then just bounce over USB, or if you use only the USB and don't expect to have ULL playing synth drums live with it).

Yeah thanks Theo, I found TI latency not to be an issue with my setup. Very useable.
I just need stability now :pray:

get an MTT hub and be done (you dont need the Elektron one which is overpriced) ... you can then use that hub for other things as well, thats the point of MTT :)

Buzz/Audio artifacts, is this just through USB... or when its making the noise, can you also hear it through the headphone output?
( would be good to eliminate possibility of hardware issue, ground loops etc)

p.s. Ive got a Time Capsule attached to my mac , and old one connected via Ethernet... no issues with it and the TI... though its always disabled whilst doing music, to avoid sudden IO hits, but thats kind of obvious)

thetechnobear wrote:Buzz/Audio artifacts, is this just through USB... or when its making the noise, can you also hear it through the headphone output?
No buzzing through headphones. It sounds the same as this chap...

Code: Select all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IuJaWEOK80&feature=youtu.be
When it works it works well...I get no glitches or artifacts. It's just that at some point I get the buzz or no sound, and I have to restart the virus to resolve.

Yesterday it ran stable all afternoon with virus connected to one USB 2.0 hub and all my other USB devices connected to a USB 3.0 hub. Then after rebooting the problem returned.

Best guess...Something on my Mac USB bus is tripping up the virus. Perhaps an MTT hub would help manage everything better. Thunderbolt to USB adaptor might be another option.

I presume you have tried different cables?

aMUSEd wrote:I presume you have tried different cables?

Yep. I'll try another...you never know!

So basically any MTT USB hub should work?

I've just read good things about Belkin F4U021bt USB hub and Virus TI, gonna buy one today. I have some issues with my Snow and Studio One on Win, not sure if they are USB related though. Or any TI issues are USB related?
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

recursive one wrote:So basically any MTT USB hub should work?

I've just read good things about Belkin F4U021bt USB hub and Virus TI, gonna buy one today. I have some issues with my Snow and Studio One on Win, not sure if they are USB related though. Or any TI issues are USB related?
Do you mean this one?

https://www.belkin.com/in/IWCatProductP ... _Id=551860

doesn't say it's MTT though.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”