StiX : MultiSynthesis Drum Machine (v1.6 Released + Flash sales)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
StiX

ariston wrote:Oh, that's good! What about the strange behaviour of the init presets whenever I launch the plugin? Can you or anyone replicate that at all, or am I the only one with this bug? The sound is really loud, noise comes through even tho the level is turned down, and once I move Filter env knob or switch presets, it's back to normal.

And the FX section has something similar: I'll turn up the delay send on a sound and won't hear a thing (delay is of course turned on) UNTIL I move one of the delay config knobs... then it's there.

It's certainly not a showstopper, but kind of curious anyhow.

Hope I'm not bugging you too much with these bug reports.

One more question for today: are you considering improving on the distortion/bitcrush/SR module? I get that the distortion is really subtle, but I feel it needs to be more pronounced in order to be useful... maybe even include a few disto types. Otherwise, I'd just see myself disregarding this section and using secondary plugins. Oh, and some sort of compressor would be REALLY useful. Again, not some kind of subtle, delicate compression, but something pronounced, all-buttons-in so to speak.
Might be your *init preset* that have changed after well ... 'something has happened' . As I understand it, the real parameters values in your *init preset* dont reflect the knobs values, and when you move the knobs, they return to their actual state. A possible turnaround would be to change the values, so in a way return to normal behaviour, then save your own init preset. And relaunch it to see if it plays normally. It's the same thing for the delay I think - just an intuition- : Your init preset has been touched in some ways.

Another way to confirm all that is to see if the delay etc behaviour is normal with any other factory presets.

Disto etc : As I said in another ancient post, there's now a legacy/compatibility problem with existing factory and user presets wich prevent us to totally change the behaviour of these modules. The only thing that might happen in the future is to mod it I think, ie add other disto types ( so the current one would be for example Disto A, but there could be disto B, C etc ) Tbh, we completely lack time to do this at the moment, but it *could* happen in the future.( though I cant guarantee that). This said, the disto (and filter drive) in their current incarnation are subtle, and some more violent ones might be desired I agree, (like in Largo that I enjoy a lot) but, still, they are imho usefull. I'm currently reviewing the Wave Alchemy samples, some of wich will later be included in StiX : There are very subtle variations of 'a 808 snare' for example. If you listen to them one by one in isolation, you might think ' well, not so much difference', but then if you actually use these different ones in a pattern, the overall sound of the pattern has a quite different *quality*, *character* etc, and you are surprised that, depending on whether you choose this or that *old 808 snare sample*, your groove will work wonders, or just average. I understood better a lot of things when listening to WA work : There's as much power in subtle things in the drum synthesis department than there is in global synth synthesis. Well, a very long way to simply say : Sometimes the devil, or angel, lies in details :)

Edit : Forgot the compressor part :dog: It's something we have considered from the beginning. And it's related to cpu charge. In it's current incarnation, I think we have a very good ratio regarding uncompromised_audio_quality/CPU use. Adding N compressors would mean adding n*c cpu hit. Otoh, everydaw has now compressors, so the only thing to do is to insert one on stix bus(ses) in the daw. So if todays cpus were more powerfull, there are good chances that we would have added comps, but we feel we have to limit StiX to a fixed *raisonable* cpu print. Maybe in the -not near- future.
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

Okay, that's fair enough. I understand that changing the distortion at this point is not feasible. I was thinking mainly of future developments anyway.

BTW, I just tried adjusting the init preset, then saving it, then restarting StiX, but it's the same. Hideous noise all over.

You're welcome... I see I'm making you guys sweat :D

Here are the steps I do:
- Open Logic and start a new empty project
- Add one instrument, empty channel, no routings no FX
- Add StiX Stereo version (not the Multi-Out Stereo version)
- Add notes to the bass drum line in the multi sequence
- Activate the reverb (click the grey button to make it green)
- Hit spacebar (starts playing), you hear the bass drum playing
- Turn up REV send above value 31, distortion happens = NOK
- Save that session to the desktop (as a 'folder')
- Close Logic and open the session again by double clicking the file you just saved
- StiX is shown again (you haven't closed the plugin window above ;) ) and shows the saved settings
- Hit play and you hear a nice reverb = OK

- Repeat the steps above, but instead of creating your own sequence just load any preset with reverb sends
- I used '120 House A LtZ'
- Instant distortion the first time you hit play = NOK
- After reloading the session, nice reverb = OK

So saving and reopening the session loads the reverb correctly. At least here on my machine.

PS: Another one for the list ... I realised (when fiddling around with the bug) that it'd be wonderful if the fx-send section would dynamically change its label according to the drum pad selected, e.g. FX SEND BD, or FX SEND CRASH, etc. So the user don't have to look up to the drum pads on top to see what's selected.
Image stardustmedia - high end analog music services - murat

ariston wrote:Oh, that's good! What about the strange behaviour of the init presets whenever I launch the plugin? Can you or anyone replicate that at all, or am I the only one with this bug? The sound is really loud, noise comes through even tho the level is turned down, and once I move Filter env knob or switch presets, it's back to normal.
Haha, not just me then - posted this back on the 26th Jan:
mcbpete wrote: I can't remember now but were the -init- default drum kit always this noisy ? Had headphones on and pressed the keyboard to trigger a drum and nearly crapped myself - Every key was pure noise mixed with a loud bass square wave ! *regains composure* :o
For Lotuzia's reference, this is what the 10 default/init drums sound like straight after the plugin loads:

* PLEASE NOTE - THIS IS VERY LOUD, ENSURE YOU SPEAKERS OR HEADPHONES ARE TURNED DOWN FIRST *

http://www.ilovecubus.co.uk/pete/stix_default.mp3

In the sequencer it would be so much nicer to be able to click and drag across the steps to activate or change the values.

Having to click each step is a chore and a slow down.

The fill column/row is a great idea I have to say :tu:
Amazon: why not use an alternative

mcbpete wrote:
Haha, not just me then - posted this back on the 26th Jan:
mcbpete wrote: I can't remember now but were the -init- default drum kit always this noisy ? Had headphones on and pressed the keyboard to trigger a drum and nearly crapped myself - Every key was pure noise mixed with a loud bass square wave ! *regains composure* :o
For Lotuzia's reference, this is what the 10 default/init drums sound like straight after the plugin loads:

* PLEASE NOTE - THIS IS VERY LOUD, ENSURE YOU SPEAKERS OR HEADPHONES ARE TURNED DOWN FIRST *

http://www.ilovecubus.co.uk/pete/stix_default.mp3
It seems we found this one. It's a Logic specific bug. something wasnt initialised properly. It will be fixed in the next beta. (if it's only what we think) To Stardust : It might as well fix the reverb bug ( but this one we cant replicate at the moment ).( the list is not finished :wink: )

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

Is that 'logic' as in short for 'logical' or as in the Logic application ? If the latter then it seems to be happening in Ableton Live too ...

mcbpete wrote:Is that 'logic' as in short for 'logical' or as in the Logic application ? If the latter then it seems to be happening in Ableton Live too ...
Yeah... no Macs in my household!

how to import samples :?:

not intuitive at all

where is the wave menu? how to switch to advanced screen :roll:
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

ariston wrote:
mcbpete wrote:Is that 'logic' as in short for 'logical' or as in the Logic application ? If the latter then it seems to be happening in Ableton Live too ...
Hmmm yes, let's say to be more precise/exact that we could replicate it in Logic, but it doesnt affect Cubase for example.

So, V0.98 G has been released, and -hopefully- this bug with the init preset after launching StiX will be eradicated in Logic, and, possibly, other hosts.

V0.98 G brings other fixes/features/etc that i'll detail later. ( but Stardust list should be reduced in a significant way :))

Tjgoa wrote:how to import samples :?:

not intuitive at all

where is the wave menu? how to switch to advanced screen :roll:
In StiX, you can choose for the third oscillator between noise and sample.

So in the Advanced synthesis panel, just click on the third oscillator noise/smp name zone, and in the drop down list, just choose 'import sample'. It will open your OS browser, and then you'll just have to locate the sample you wish to immport.

To switch to the Advanced synthesis panel, just click on the big EAZY button located at the left of the eazy synthesis panel.

Side notes : If you want sample AND noise simultaneously, just use osc1 or 2 to make a noise oscillator. For that choose sine iscillator, then modulate the sine osc by itself in the macro matrix. You can get a nice variety of noise types by doing this.

More generally speaking, StiX offers many synthesis options to make a 'drum sound'. And still is quite easy and intuitive to use once you know how to switch from advanded to eazy synthesis pages for example. Therefore, you can't expect pure sample management to be as str8forward as with an unit only dealing with sample, and nothing else. We had to pack a lot of possibilities in the GUI/UI. Considering the huge synthesis possibilities you get with StiX (like Cross Synthesis) I think the process could certainly be better, but maybe not that much. Once you understand what it can do, and how to do it, its very quick to use it. For people who only want to work with samples in an easy, yet powerfull way, I'd recommand something like Battery ( But no sequencer, and no interactions between the sequencer and synthesis in Battery .... :shrug: ), or Kontakt.

Just checked... the "init bug" is now gone on my machine. Are you guys working 24 hours a day? :)

where??? I don't see anything resembling and easy button/screen....
what the.jpg
Edit -- okay found it. Man, please make that easy to find at first glance. Make it neon glowing orange or something....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Touch The Universe on Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

also, say I assign a sample to the noise oscillator for each drum pad -- would the randomize sort through the files where the sample is located? Do I need to import or make folders within the stix folders. Also, when I choose random, is there a way to only make the randomize which samples the kit loads from waves and not randomize the synthesis for each pad. Generally, I want to load a normal kit with waves first, then supplement them with synthesis. Is something like this possible with stix? If not please add these features and i think you would have something quite special and unique.

TTU Youtube

ariston wrote:
Way to stick it to corporations, man!

Return to “Instruments”