How did he do that??

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

https://youtu.be/94P-9f94fPw

In this video, Jordan Rudess just pushes E1, B1, G#2 without any effort. How did he do that? How can finger just stretch out like that? Is it because his fingers are relatively longer, or I have insufficient techniques? I personally doesn't have short fingers. I was always been heard by surrounding mates that I have really long fingers, but I can't do that! What's the reason?

Hey!

Get used to disappointment :)

I can stretch between my thumb and little finger in almost 180 degrees, still Im not close being able to do what he did in the video. I can touch the G# but not more than that so my hands are too small unfortunately. If you look at his hands, he doesn't even have to stretch that much so he probably have quite large hands.

Im used to disappointment... :)

best regards
Niklas

If you twist the hand+wrist a bit anticlockwise (so the pinky+thump makes more a "/" shape over the keys) wouldn't it make the path from E1 to G#2 shorter, rather than holding it flat "_" across the front of the keyboard and taking the more ... stretchy ... path. I can do it if I twist a bit, but not straight :)

Niklashe wrote:Hey!

Get used to disappointment :)

I can stretch between my thumb and little finger in almost 180 degrees, still Im not close being able to do what he did in the video. I can touch the G# but not more than that so my hands are too small unfortunately. If you look at his hands, he doesn't even have to stretch that much so he probably have quite large hands.

Im used to disappointment... :)

best regards
Niklas
I not just complaining for a mere disappointment, I'm just curious if this is physically possible to press like that :o So if I train hard, I could bend my thumb and little finger 180 degrees?

I can do F1 and G#2 with my left hand but my fingers are physically too short to reach from E1 to G#2 at the same time. His hands are basically like spiders' legs. For the rest of us:

"Yeah well I'll be frank with ya Lisa and when I say frank I mean, you know, devastating. You've inherited a finger condition known as stubbiness, it usually comes from the father's side..."

my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Sold for £20 below the estimate. Mini-keys have taken over.

Gamma-UT wrote:Sold for £20 below the estimate. Mini-keys have taken over.
This would rather damage my tendon :lol:

jushin

of course you can learn to stretch more, but Im no expert in this so I dare not give you any advice on how to do it, more than for every stretch exercise, that you have to take it slowly over a long time.

Ive played the piano for many years, more than 30, and never even thought about it.

I wouldn't trust that machine though... :)

Work within your limitations. I've got really small hands for my overall size, and it's always been a source of frustration when playing piano. I can comfortably span C1-D2. That's not really great, but enough for boogie woogie.

I saw James Levine playing the piano in a video once, and it was really a sight to see: those little bockwurst stubby fingers flying over the keys...

It's not what you got, but how you use it. Does E1-B1-G#2 really make Dream Theater a better band? *ducks out of sight*

I can do E1, B1, G very comfortably, but anything beyond that span of an octave and a third is impossible. But I guess it's wasted on me, I'm one of those computer sound beep boop type folk.

Maybe when the economy is more technological I'll be able to sell my big hands to a classical pianist, then buy more beep boop machines with the proceeds.
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

jushin wrote:
Gamma-UT wrote:Sold for £20 below the estimate. Mini-keys have taken over.
This would rather damage my tendon :lol:
Isn't that sort of device like the one that permanently damaged Schumann's hand?

Holy sh*t...When I was a kid and learning piano I heard that Rachmaninoff could pull off that stretch. "Yeah right" I thought.

This JR guy does it effortlessly! :o Aliens I tell ya...

[Edit} Ok I tried it and I can do it assuming the piece also contains all the nearby notes of E and G# :hihi:

I can play this with my left hand -- I have to hit the B at the very top of the key like JR does, and it hurts a bit.

But I have HUGE hands, or so I thought, and my left hand looks stretched out like a starfish when I do it, but JR doesn't look like he's stretching much at all. So I conclude that he's some sort of huge-handed mutant. :)

Return to “Music Theory”