Cubase SX3: select patterns on the drum machine using a midi keyboard

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,
I was wondering if would be possible change/select the patterns on my drum machine (Yamaha RX21) within Cubase using my midi keyboard (AKAI LPK25). Currently, the only way to change patterns is to type the corresponding number on the drum machine itself, which is not very practical (especially during live performance).

I aim to use my LPK25 in this way: trigger some keys of this controller, to "launch" predetermined patterns. But seems that this drum machine is unable to change patterns via midi signals, so maybe I have to make some midi tracks containing drum loops inside Cubase and then trigger them using LPK25, but unfortunately I have no idea how to achieve this. Can someone explain me the better way to achieve this goal? I've seen a discussion on this forum, about an utility: MidiTrigger: http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 7&t=450574 would be useful for my needs?

Kind regards.

This looks like two different triggers, one to control the transport, then to specify the tracks. What you need to do is define your controller as a generic remote. Device Setup, Remote Devices. There are two dialog boxes: @ top, define your control. Below, define your target and action of target.

Control Name = well, whatever you like.
Midi Status = Note Number.
Midi Channel:
Address = the specific note number
Flags, I suppose you want simply Receive here.

Control Name, correspond with your above name.
Device = Transport;
(then Device = Midi Mixer, corresponding with a second defined control as per above.)
Channel/Category = Transport appears to be 'Device', period;
Midi Mixer's Channel/Category = your extant Midi tracks will appear here.
Transport Value/Action = Start;
Midi Mixer Value/Action = I suppose Solo is apt here.
Flags: Toggle for the Transport, I'm not sure the options there apply to the Midi Mixer in this scenario.

Anyway, here's the documentation:
ftp://ftp.steinberg.net/Download/Cubase ... evices.pdf

Thank you very much, jancivil: it worked like a charm.

Anyway I think that I can do it better: I assigned a key on LPK25 as play/start, but would be better, that every time that I press the start key, if the "play" will start from the beginning of loop selection (that one delimited with two markers).

About the track selection: unfortunately I can't mark the "solo" on the desidered track, because in that project I also have some VSTi and two audio inputs; if I set as "solo" a midi track, so I mute everything; so there is a different way to achieve this? I've seen that is possible insert a special track called Play Order Track, maybe is useful for my needs?

Many thanks.

Well, soloing the Midi in my experience does not mute its consequent vsti or its consequents. No experience with SX3. What does 'Selected' do, though? I don't have any way to test this at the moment, I'm working in the abstract here.

Play Order Track sounds like an idea.
(The 'delimited [by Locators]' is known as a Region in that [Cycle mode] case, for future reference.)

Ok, but soloing Midi tracks will also mute other tracks (in this project i also have other midi tracks which I use to play some VSTi and a pair of audio tracks).

Anyway You gave me a very precious hints!
(The 'delimited [by Locators]' is known as a Region in that [Cycle mode] case, for future reference.)
I am sorry for my wrong terms, but the GUI language of my installation of Cubase is in Italian and so I didn't know the corresponding English term :-)

Kind regards.

No problem, it's just less typing to do 'Region'. 8)

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”