Amplitude 4... is it much better sounding than 3?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm not fussed about having umpteen amps & cabs. One that sounds awesome will do me!

So does 4 do it better than 3?

Yes. The new cab room alone makes a huge difference.
Brian Garrison
Tracks In The Box
YouTube | Facebook

b15fliptop wrote:Yes. The new cab room alone makes a huge difference.
Is it worth it if you are using it as an FX on synths, but not actual guitar playing?

Also, do you recommend it over guitar rig?

b15 is right about the amp room(s), very useful. The ability to use (some) rack effects before the amp, and (some) stomps after the cab is also a Really Good Thing, if you care about such stuff.

The core sound quality of the amps I think is pretty much the same though, which for me is fine, really like a lot of them.

Far as using it on synths, it's hard to say. The big deal about amp sims is giving you some of the feel of a real guitar or bass amp, and the good ones do pretty well. How important that is, to you, on synths, no clue, unless your synths are imitating rock-ish guitar.

Personally I think Guitar Rig bites, and I love Amplitube, but I'm a guitarist first, bassist second, and only keyboard player enough to write and arrange. YMMV or course :)

I agree that Guitar Rig absolutely sucks, especially the effects. They sound VERY sub-par, and have severe limits in design. Name an effect that you use from Guitar Rig, and I'll name another that blows it away both sonically and in flexibility and creative potential.

I'm a synth player and use Amplitube 3. Haven't tried 4 yet.
ALL YOUR DATA ARE BELONG TO US - Google

https://soundcloud.com/dan-ling
http://danling.com

In regards to Amplitube, is the Deluxe version a big upgrade from the standard?
Gonga wrote:I agree that Guitar Rig absolutely sucks, especially the effects. They sound VERY sub-par, and have severe limits in design. Name an effect that you use from Guitar Rig, and I'll name another that blows it away both sonically and in flexibility and creative potential.

So if I was looking at guitar rig 5 for guitar amp/fx emulation, would Amplitube be the alternative that you recommend?

Cheers

Thanks for the replies.

I use Logic's built in Amp sim and I'm wondering if there's much difference?

The audio clips always sound so good on websites, but maybe that's down to top notch preamps and expensive guitars too?
Last edited by Sound Mechanics on Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

On Windows, no experience with anything Logic, but IMO, only, for me, Amplitube and Scuffham are the best amp sims, and I've tried a bunch. I'm not a metal guy, so if you're looking for sounds in that area, you need someone else's opinion, but I do play a mix of clean, slightly dirty, crunch, and more overdriven, and for me those are both quite good. Amplitube has more flexibility, I really like the sounds, and there are a lot of amps and stomps to play with. Scuffham doesn't have that variety, but it sounds and feels good. Both have an pretty organic and un-fake feel to them that I like.

Far as upgrading from Standard, I got into Amplitube a while ago, and through various sales, group buys, and sales on gear credits, I have almost all the available add-on amps, cabs, and stomps. And yes, that's a HUGE upgrade from standard. I'm able to get *something* like out of most of them, and there are a lot, amps I could never afford in real life and really enjoy. You can also pick and choose, just get the ones that inspire you most.

HTH.

As far as using Amplitube on synths, I don't know if it would be worth it. I would say pick the amp sim that has the most effects you're interested in, because the authenticity of the amps and cabs won't really matter much for that application.
Brian Garrison
Tracks In The Box
YouTube | Facebook

Gonga wrote:I agree that Guitar Rig absolutely sucks, especially the effects. They sound VERY sub-par, and have severe limits in design. Name an effect that you use from Guitar Rig, and I'll name another that blows it away both sonically and in flexibility and creative potential.

Challenge accepted. Micro-synth. Go!

If you want good, tempo-synced effects only (no cabs or amp emulation), then GR is your best bet. I don't think the effects are sub-par at all. Certainly do a good of a job as any other amp modeling software out there.

For actual amp modeling, AT is still the best, IMO.

For FX on synths, I don't bother with Guitar Rig 5 or AmpliTube 4 (both of which I own), I use Nomad Factory MAGMA which even has presets for Synth and Piano & Keyboard.

b15fliptop wrote:Yes. The new cab room alone makes a huge difference.
Isn't the cab room just a more realistic visual of what you could do in Amplitude 3?

Hemmick Reef wrote:Isn't the cab room just a more realistic visual of what you could do in Amplitude 3?
if you're referring to Amplitube 4 for iOS, then you're right - there, it's basically Amplitube 3's cab section in a pretty GUI. however, in desktop Amplitube 4, it's much more than that. there's a room mic selection now, new spaces, 3D positioning of the mic (well, with caveats), and you can swap individual speakers. in other words, it's a new cab section.
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

You can demo Amplitube 4 but you can't use the new gear or the new features. You can demo all the Amplitube 3 stuff within the Amplitube 4 plugin.

I use Soundtoys as the main effects for Synths but I do use some of the stomps from Amplitube on synths.

Burillo wrote:
Hemmick Reef wrote:Isn't the cab room just a more realistic visual of what you could do in Amplitude 3?
if you're referring to Amplitube 4 for iOS, then you're right - there, it's basically Amplitube 3's cab section in a pretty GUI. however, in desktop Amplitube 4, it's much more than that. there's a room mic selection now, new spaces, 3D positioning of the mic (well, with caveats), and you can swap individual speakers. in other words, it's a new cab section.
Thanks, that 'sounds' great!

Return to “Effects”