Win 10 "deletes" your software if it doesn't like it

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

do_androids_dream wrote: MS is a true monopoly though - there is no realistic option for the vast majority of people.
Well, there's Apple. And there's ChromeOS. There's also Linux, which is being shipped on (a few) computers of at least 2 MAJOR PC manufacturers. There are alternatives, if you look at it realistically. And there wouldn't be the need for such aggressive market strategies as MS did with Windows 10, if they wouldn't think competetively.
do_androids_dream wrote:
chk071 wrote:That would be kind of contraproductive. The way i understand it, assuming too, Microsoft wants to make money with their services in the future, rather than with selling the OS only.
I reckon all future MS os's will be free because it's just a blip on where they're actually making real money. Making it free will actually generate more money for them because it will beat out most of the competition and ensure that there's an MS presence in almost every household. Why pay for an overpriced Mac when you can have the latest Windows for free on a laptop you just bought for £50 on ebay?
Well, Apple does the same thing with their newer OS versions too. Again, competition.

chk071 wrote: Well, there's Apple. And there's ChromeOS. There's also Linux, which is being shipped on (a few) computers of at least 2 MAJOR PC manufacturers. There are alternatives, if you look at it realistically. And there wouldn't be the need for such aggressive market strategies as MS did with Windows 10, if they wouldn't think competetively.
But isn't MS's global market share still around 98%? *goes to check*

Edit - it seems that it's still at least 90%
Mastering from £30 per track \\\
Facebook \\\ #masteredbyloz

True, i found this: http://netmarketshare.com/operating-sys ... pcustomd=0 (also shows about 90%)

I thought it was rather like 70-80%. Somehow had figures of about 15-20% of MacOS in my head, but i guess that was the american market. What i'm sure of is that MS didn't really produce much money from the sole sales of their OS, so they steered it more into the "services" direction. I don't think there can be doubt that Google and Apple with iTunes are making a lot of money with that, and they're also probably a lot bigger in that than MS (also with their Xbox stuff).

loungepanda wrote:No, I turned off the data-logging/spying 'features' when I first installed Windows 10, but it changed those settings with this service-pack/update.
Just FYI, I believe this is probably the update referenced in this ars technica article: http://arstechnica.com/information-tech ... -now-back/, which was pulled soon after rollout for mistakenly reverting users' privacy settings.
Last edited by Greenstorm33 on Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Greenstorm33 wrote:
loungepanda wrote:No, I turned off the data-logging/spying 'features' when I first installed Windows 10, but it changed those settings with this service-pack/update.
Just FYI, I believe this is probably the update referenced in this arstechnica article: http://arstechnica.com/information-tech ... -now-back/, which was pulled soon after rollout for mistakenly reverting users' privacy settings.
And so it all clears up. Thanks for that.

So was this uninstalling software that didn't meet certain criteria?
Mastering from £30 per track \\\
Facebook \\\ #masteredbyloz

Just wanted to chime in and say that I'm running Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, and have been since it's release. Windows hasn't deleted anything I have installed, or that was already installed (and I have a lot, and I mean a lot, of software installed). My DAW(s) run(s) just as well as it did in Win 7 Pro 64-bit, as does all of the software. As, for the drivers, yes some did get updated, but that was during installation of Win 10, and that has happened with every version of Windows, Linux or any OS I have ever installed. From that point forward I have had complete control of what and when things get updated and or deleted. As a matter of fact, the install of Windows 10 was by far the easiest install of any operating system that I have done in my 35 years of computing. And, the only issue that I had to "fix" was with ASIO4ALL, and all I had to do to "fix" that was to reinstall the latest version.

So, maybe, just maybe, there is a lot of BS being spread about the OS. But, then again I guess it could all be true. Anyway, it's things like this make me wonder if fairies really do exist too.
Digital Studio: Studio One Pro 3, and too many plugins to list
Tools: '09 Epi' Dot Studio, '10 Epi' Les Paul Studio, '97 Fender Strat, 2015 PRS SE Standard 24, Martin OMC-18E.
Toys: Peavey Solo, Crate GFX30, VOX AD30VT, Digitech RP500, Line 6 HD500X

TEKing66 wrote:
So, maybe, just maybe, there is a lot of BS being spread about the OS.
Look, nothing personal dude, but FFS! Do you REALLY think that the very people that have confirmed this happening are just full of shit? What f**king purpose does someone have to spread rumors about this?

f**k, it's happened to me, OK? I didn't make it up, there is no bullshit.

incubus wrote:
TEKing66 wrote:
So, maybe, just maybe, there is a lot of BS being spread about the OS.
Look, nothing personal dude, but FFS! Do you REALLY think that the very people that have confirmed this happening are just full of shit? What f**king purpose does someone have to spread rumors about this?

f**k, it's happened to me, OK? I didn't make it up, there is no bullshit.
TEKing66...read the article above your post. Ars Technica is on the money here. The November update did pull a fast one here..left me with an accounting program and another all messed up. :dog:
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

do_androids_dream wrote:So was this uninstalling software that didn't meet certain criteria?
On mine all it did was disable them...although I think one may be MIA
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

Well I understand why I haven't had an issue, as I upgraded from Windows 7 Pro.
Seems if you went that path nothing was changed.

So, I stand corrected, and offer my apologies to those I have offended.
And obviously, with all the swearing above, I did offend, so I will take me leave and will speak no more on the subject.
Digital Studio: Studio One Pro 3, and too many plugins to list
Tools: '09 Epi' Dot Studio, '10 Epi' Les Paul Studio, '97 Fender Strat, 2015 PRS SE Standard 24, Martin OMC-18E.
Toys: Peavey Solo, Crate GFX30, VOX AD30VT, Digitech RP500, Line 6 HD500X

I'm wondering why i don't get that update at all btw. On both my machines, it's just not coming. Maybe i'm lucky. ;)

TEKing66 wrote:Well I understand why I haven't had an issue, as I upgraded from Windows 7 Pro.
Seems if you went that path nothing was changed.

So, I stand corrected, and offer my apologies to those I have offended.
And obviously, with all the swearing above, I did offend, so I will take me leave and will speak no more on the subject.
I wasn't offended, and like I said, it's nothing personal. Was simply pointing out that people DO have issue. Issues with cpus, issues with hosts (doesn't matter which one) issues etc.

My apologies, but I've heard so many people over the years try and blame "the user" over this stuff I just felt the need to say something. Yeah, users can be idiots, no doubt. But when it happens to a group of people, clearly it's not simply-inthebox the user.

Anyways, sorry for being a dick, just needed to make sure people understand it's NOT them. It's happened to me too :)

incubus wrote:My apologies, but I've heard so many people over the years try and blame "the user" over this stuff I just felt the need to say something. Yeah, users can be idiots, no doubt. But when it happens to a group of people, clearly it's not simply-inthebox the user.
To be totally honest, in many cases, it is the user indeed. The example in this thread with the reverted privacy settings, which happen to be a bug in the update, and the update was pulled, and the user argued that it's intended, and to snoop him out, shows that very well.

Are users to blame a lot of times? Of course. That doesnt mean its the problem 100% of the time.

Windows should list the software that will be moved to Windows.old BEFORE you update. Yep, im feel entitled, ill even go as far as saying i should have a choice to install the update or not (to keep said software). All of this is pointless though, as updates are forced upon you now.

Its not all bad though, unless youre a manufacturer whos getting blamed (in bad reviews) for bugs. On the bright side, if you keep updated (pun intended), you can get some great deals for yourself, or resell for profit.

For example, if you are aware of 3114149, you can snag some nice laptop deals :)

Never-ending story is what they should codename Windows when they drop the numbering system.

KVR Audio Forum Signature is currently unavailable for your web browser.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”