Headphones vs Monitors

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Are there any headphones out there that are acceptable for mixing / mastering? If so, which would you recommend? Also, if the headphones are good enough can they compete with monitors, or are studio monitors always the better way to go when mixing?

Graham S wrote:Are there any headphones out there that are acceptable for mixing / mastering? If so, which would you recommend? Also, if the headphones are good enough can they compete with monitors, or are studio monitors always the better way to go when mixing?
I'm going to leave you with this little fact I've learned over time.

Headphones lie!

:x
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
Alienware i7 R3 loaded with billions of DAWS and plugins.

In many years reading about this, I have never heard a reliable source say that headphones are OK for doing a final mix. Now they are essential for hearing imaging details and critical listening, but in the end you have to monitor in a good room on familiar, quality monitors, preferably even a few different monitors, in different environments.

That said, for years I've done most of my semi-pro mixing on headphones, and only move to monitors when doing the final mix after all tracking is done and I have a basic mix already done.

I use Yamaha RH-5Ma on-ears, because they sound flat, and are extremely comfortable for all-day wear, even with glasses on. And they are relatively cheap too.

Another thing to consider is that many people, perhaps most, listen on headphones. If headphones are the intended medium, then maybe monitors "lie." Just another viewpoint. Headphones do offer clarity, great panning separation, and the ability to probably do more complex things successfully.
ALL YOUR DATA ARE BELONG TO US - Google

https://soundcloud.com/dan-ling
http://danling.com

In my experience: you must have a good pair of monitors (+ decent acoustic treatment of course) and a pair of good headphones.

Both have ups and downs... use both to "see the truth" :P

My current usage is usually: 70-80% on monitors the rest 20-30% on headphones... (don't let the the relatively small percentage on headphones fool you, they are important)

Working only on headphones? I guess ... maybe after years and years of experience and knowing the differences etc

As Gonga says, headphones are very important for critical listening while doing production editing tasks. No doubt. But for mixing they lie. I've tried over and over to convince myself that one can mix in headphones, when in fact it can not be done properly as when using monitors. Try to mix in headphones and then listen to what you thought sounded good in your headphones, sounds like shit when played through your monitors. Now, make your adjustments through your monitors, and it should sound 1000 times better when played through the monitors and at this point will sound also better through the headphones than it did before. BTW my headphones are SONY MDR-7506 and AKG K240's and my monitors are YAMAHA HS5's and HS8's. That's why you will never see Manny, Jack, David etc.. saying "Just give me a moment dude while I pull this mix through my headphones" :hihi:
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
Alienware i7 R3 loaded with billions of DAWS and plugins.

Are you about to mix a big budget leading artist? A major picture soundtrack?

If the answer is no I wouldn't get to hung up on gearslutz like status quo opinions.

You have to work with what you got.

If you have to do it you can, just don't tell people they get upset :)

I suggest from experience, use a nice pair of open back cans, yes it makes a world of difference, and constantly cross check to some monitors and even your computers inbuilt speakers.

Over time you will be able to adjust for the headphone lies (yes they do).

I once read Qunicey Jones mixed on headphones all the time, don't know if it's true or not, but wouldn't be surprised.

I mix on both.

As has been said, earphones are good for hearing details when editing. My Sennheiser HD 600s also give me better bass imaging than my very good nearfields in, unfortunately, a less than ideal room.

But for general imaging and for judging reverb and room fx levels, nothing beats monitors, IMHO.

/Joachim
If it were easy, anybody could do it!

afcollett wrote: I wouldn't get too hung up ...
+1

If you regularly do serious mixing you should have an array of monitoring options covering:

- full range, neutral quality monitors
- quality monitors with mid range emphasis
- grotbox (typical low level consumer speakers, PC speakers or similar)
- headphones

For hobbyists it makes sense to use what you have, then try to listen to your mix on as many systems as possible - in the car, on your mediaplayer (with different kinds of headphones, in-ears etc), on your stereo, on your mate's stereo etc. You will notice different things and problems, and with a bit of back and forth to the mix you should be able to find a good balance. This has the added benefit that you will leave some time between each listen, which resets your ears and makes it easier to notice things.

Oh, and remember to listen in mono, too.

I'd say it mostly depends on the music your making and you mixing skills.

If you're going for dirty, rough, lo-fi, industrial type of sound - e.g. Motorhead, punk rock, lo-fi electronica, etc. with not much going on and low level of detail - you could use anything, even user-level headphones. Same if your mixing skills are close to zero, no matter what you're trying to do.
But if you're going for lots of detail, layers, reverb, clean vocals, etc., or if your mixing skills are quite good - use both.

Judging from your question, neutral pro level headphones will be enough for you. 7506s (if not fake!), AKGs, Audiotechnica's, Sennheisers - look them up and decide based on your budget.

Also please keep in mind that for monitors you'd also need a properly treated room, which is expensive. If you don't have that... errr, just use the best loudspeakers you can find.

I mix 100% on headphones. I only do this because I have no choice at the moment, but I get by. I'm happy enough with my mixes. I use Shure SRH1840's. If I was a full time pro musician making music for a living I'd probably step up my monitoring, but I'm not, and what I have works well enough for me.

headphones are good for some small things here and there. but monitors don't lie

You can get professional sounding mixes with just headphones if you know what you're doing. However, it's best to have both.

Good headphones + something like this is much better than monitors only if your room is not ideal acoustically. Use reference mixes and listen in mono.

I use both about equally. However, I can make really oddly unbalanced level errors with the headphones that the monitors reveal. I can usually do a better eq job on the monitors. Also good for spotting sharp transients that my headphones tend to mask.

Look at this for an understanding of which headphone features are useful for different jobs: http://www.akg.com/pro/headphones/profe ... headphones

A neutral sound from your monitoring system is desirable because theoretically that will make your mix translate well to the maximum number of other systems, which may accentuate bass, treble, mid-range and combinations thereof.

In additions there are factors such as reponse to transients, clarity/separation which probably go hand in hand with increasing price. As Scintillator points out, this may not be very relevant depending on the music you make, but even for the most lo-fi music you want a balanced mix, so a neutral response / varied monitoring is desirable.

A factor is how you make music. If for instance you only use samples from quality sample packs or sample-based instruments, there's probably a limit to how wrong things can go, and mixing on headphones is a less risky business.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”