UVI Falcon - hybrid instrument - version 3.01 released - rumors, ads, praise, mud wrestling and off-topic inside!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

Did a search on this thread and didn't see it mentioned, but is Relayer a possible addition to Falcon at some point like SparkVerb?
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

normanaj wrote:
ceasless wrote:I am unable to fully install Falcon 1.0.1. iLok pops up a message:
A background component required for iLok License Manager seems to be unavailable. If rebooting does not fix this issue, please visit iLok.com and download and run the latest License Support installer.
Done the un-install/re-install dance twice already now, with reboots between each stage, but still the same result. Software Update within the license manager reports to me that I am running the latest version.

I wondered if anyone else has seen this? Falcon works in standalone, but does not appear in any of my DAWs.
I assume you are on windows? If that is the case then you need to start the ILM service in the task manager.

Sorry, I should have mentioned it. I am on OS X 10.10.5. From the Google searches I have done, this only seems to have been experienced on Windows so far. I haven't managed to find a Mac solution. Thanks for your quick response, by the way!

I had this too on my Windows 10 Laptop today, but uninstalling - reboot - installing - reboot solved it here (installing the driver from ilok.com that is, not Falcon).
Never have seen this problem before.

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

Gribs wrote:Has anyone managed to get something like a melodic (playable chromatically), bell-like or vibraphone-like sound out of the string oscillator? I have not been able to come up with something that I like. I think that I might be bumping up against the string resonator model. I can get a chime or bell using the inharmonic coupling that sounds pretty convincing but then I can't play a scale or chord with it.

I am thinking something like Chromaphone, which has other resonator models that AFAIK are more complex than simple 1D strings or two coupled 1D strings. I am thinking about getting Chromaphone during the current sale even though the GUI, and in particular some of the fonts, is sort of tiny on my HD monitor.

I have found that getting fairly nice-sounding steel or nylon-stringed acoustic guitar-like or harp-likes sounds is not all that tough with Falcon. I also like the sort of thing that can be done using samples for the excitation as in the "Water pluck" factory (reminds me of Kaivo but not quite as complex).
You could try mixing different synthesis modules for that task, use the pluck synth (or even two plucks layered) for the attack phase of a mallet-like sound and build the body of the sound with e.g. an analog stack. The attack of e.g. a vibra consists mainly of odd harmonics with the the higher harmonics fading out more quickly, towards the end of the you're left with almost a sine-wave 1st/2nd harmonic. But just with a single pluck module I wouldn't try aiming at re-creating a mallet sound, it won't cut it. The pluck is great for anything in the harp-ish domain, also for achromatic gamelan-like percussive sounds, barrel-like trash sound, ballad like guitar sounds, phantasy instruments (like e.g. the water pluck I did for the factory library) and so forth.

Sampleconstruct wrote:
Gribs wrote:Has anyone managed to get something like a melodic (playable chromatically), bell-like or vibraphone-like sound out of the string oscillator? I have not been able to come up with something that I like.
You could try mixing different synthesis modules for that task, use the pluck synth (or even two plucks layered) for the attack phase of a mallet-like sound and build the body of the sound with e.g. an analog stack. The attack of e.g. a vibra consists mainly of odd harmonics with the the higher harmonics fading out more quickly, towards the end of the you're left with almost a sine-wave 1st/2nd harmonic. But just with a single pluck module I wouldn't try aiming at re-creating a mallet sound, it won't cut it. The pluck is great for anything in the harp-ish domain, also for achromatic gamelan-like percussive sounds, barrel-like trash sound, ballad like guitar sounds, phantasy instruments (like e.g. the water pluck I did for the factory library) and so forth.
Thank you! The FM synth can do some good bell-like sounds, too.
------------------------------------------
Gribs

Gribs wrote:
Sampleconstruct wrote:
Gribs wrote:Has anyone managed to get something like a melodic (playable chromatically), bell-like or vibraphone-like sound out of the string oscillator? I have not been able to come up with something that I like.
Thank you! The FM synth can do some good bell-like sounds, too.
Yes, absolutely, also try assigning dedicated ADSR or AHD- envelopes to the volume of the individual FM-operators for shaping timbres.

ThomasHelzle wrote:I had this too on my Windows 10 Laptop today, but uninstalling - reboot - installing - reboot solved it here (installing the driver from ilok.com that is, not Falcon).

Cheers,

Tom

This is bonkers... Why would this just happen out of the blue? :(

Worse is that this doesn't change anything for OS X. The reinstall does not work. Here I was wondering what the issues with iLok are ("I've never seen any!") and then the same thing that was working stops working. On a random day? Bizarre.

EDIT: Got a bit further:
"29/11/15 10:54:37,093 com.apple.xpc.launchd[1]: (com.paceap.eden.licenseDaemon.75292[979]) Service exited with abnormal code: 2"
That's from the OS X console. And if I try to run from the terminal, I get a complaint about parent directory permissions.
$ /Library/PrivilegedHelperTools/licenseDaemon.app/Contents/MacOS/licenseDaemon ; exit;
License Daemon Error: pace::UtilException: The parent directory is not owned by us.
And everything was working just fine before. Next time I will think twice before upgrading any iLok licensed stuff...

EDIT AGAIN:

This has been reported to iLok. I'll update here in case someone else runs into the same problem later.

Some Desert Music combining three instances of Falcon - wavetable - multi-sampling - granular:

https://soundcloud.com/sampleconstruct/ ... falcon-air

Sampleconstruct wrote:Some Desert Music combining three instances of Falcon - wavetable - multi-sampling - granular:

Very interesting Simon. Do you record your own sound sources and Impulse responses (if any) for this? Fairly direct question but I'm in learning mode ;).

normanaj wrote:
Sampleconstruct wrote:Some Desert Music combining three instances of Falcon - wavetable - multi-sampling - granular:

Very interesting Simon. Do you record your own sound sources and Impulse responses (if any) for this? Fairly direct question but I'm in learning mode ;).
Yes, sure - in this case it's multi-sampled glass gongs with plenty of round robins and velocities, camel bell-textures and some electronic sounds derived from those camel bells, a custom wavetable made with the help of Serum re-synthesizing other percussion sounds and some more drone samples made with various devices. No IRs are involved though.

ThomasHelzle wrote:I had this too on my Windows 10 Laptop today, but uninstalling - reboot - installing - reboot solved it here (installing the driver from ilok.com that is, not Falcon).

Cheers,

Tom
I have had this happen and changing the iLok service from Automatic to Delayed Start solved it for me.

I think the service timeout is too small and it times out when you have a lot of start-up things going on.
Jim Hurley - experimental music
Windows 10 Pro (20H2 19042.662); i9-9900K@5.1GHz;
Cakewalk; Adam Audio A8X; Axiom 61

I have a question regarding running other UVI libraries inside of Falcon. I already had Digital Synsations on my DAW (thanks to some earlier freebie giveaway, probably like a lot of you). I just picked up String Machines and Synths Anthology in the BF sales. When selecting a preset in Synsations and Strings, I get a graphic UI on the Falcon Info tab. With Anthology, I just get a completely empty Info tab. Is this to be expected or have I installed improperly. Anyone else have this experience?

Thinking of getting vintage vault in the sales £200inc tax with my voucher. Is this going to add anything in terms of sound design to Falcon or is it just a bunch of sampled presets?

Just wondering if Falcon still comes with the coupon to use on other UVI products? I missed the intro discount, but if it has the coupon, I may still buy it.
I wish I could sing as well as the voices inside my head...

http://www.cdbaby.com/darkvictory

dmbaer wrote:I have a question regarding running other UVI libraries inside of Falcon. I already had Digital Synsations on my DAW (thanks to some earlier freebie giveaway, probably like a lot of you). I just picked up String Machines and Synths Anthology in the BF sales. When selecting a preset in Synsations and Strings, I get a graphic UI on the Falcon Info tab. With Anthology, I just get a completely empty Info tab. Is this to be expected or have I installed improperly. Anyone else have this experience?
This is normal, Synth Anthology is an older products and do not feature GUI like String Machines or Digital Synsations.
Still using Falcon, you have access to all its parameters using the edit page.
Olivier Tristan
Developer - UVI Team
http://www.uvi.net

Return to “Instruments”