This explains a lot about Cakewalk/Sonar

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
SONAR

lingyai wrote: Been thinking a lot about Studio One v3 although recently the problems thread on the Presonus forum is giving me pause, or at least tempering my hopes.
I'm holding off upgrading to S1 V3 from V2, until probably V3.5.
I've been very happy with S1 V2.6 - it's not perfect but good for getting things done.

I found I could get results with Sonar, but it's just hard work and with a very steep learning and configuration curve. So I don't use it and don't see much point in complaining endlessly about it.
Last edited by RockinMillie on Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Why won't you delete this account as I have requested Ben ?

Grizzellda wrote:Have you tried MuLab?

Yes. Liked it until I found out that you can't use Waves plugs or Izoptope's Nectar. Oh well. Haven't looked back.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tDj_Van ... uNbgY-4qFK

I'm not the Messiah. I'm not the Messiah!

lingyai wrote: Yes. Liked it until I found out that you can't use Waves plugs or Izoptope's Nectar. Oh well. Haven't looked back.
Want to elaborate? Izotope plugs in general? And what about waves? Did you talk to Jo about these issues?

RockinMillie wrote:
trimph1 wrote:Always guaranteed to bring out the Sonar Fanbois..... :hihi:
Who are just as entitled as you are to their opinions :wink:
:)
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

Well, overall, I do feel that a big part of the deepness of Sonar is the amount of bloat it now has. Every update has seen an additional something added to the program.

It would be great if the problem of stability was dealt with before throwing more stuff into the mix
Barry

Grizzellda wrote:
lingyai wrote: Yes. Liked it until I found out that you can't use Waves plugs or Izoptope's Nectar. Oh well. Haven't looked back.
Want to elaborate? Izotope plugs in general? And what about waves? Did you talk to Jo about these issues?
If Jo is the dev, yes, a while ago we discussed the Waves issue (which has since persisted in the latest MULab version); see here

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=386452

where I was unable to get a solution suggested by the dev to work; in fact when pressed, he admitted that he had not actually tried it.

For me, no Waves = time to look elsewhere. Personal thing.

I had the same problems with Nectar. After my query about Waves, didn't see the point of asking essentially the same question.
Last edited by lingyai on Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trimph1 wrote:Well, overall, I do feel that a big part of the deepness of Sonar is the amount of bloat it now has. Every update has seen an additional something added to the program.

It would be great if the problem of stability was dealt with before throwing more stuff into the mix
My sentiments exactly. You might get savaged for maintaining that over there, though, even if you're not as controversial a character as Doktor A.

JoseC. wrote:As I see it, the main problem with Sonar is that it is a very deep program, and you REALLY need to RTFM, as somebody above stated. I must say that my experience with other DAWS is limited to Ableton Live, that is my other choice, and Reaper, that I finally abandoned circa version 4.something. I do not find Sonar to be buggier, or less stable, than the other two. Live used to crash more often than Sonar in all my systems, and sending live midi to Reaper from several hardware synth arpeggiators and sequencers at the same time made it go belly up pretty consistently while Sonar didn't even blink. Of course I have been using Sonar since before it was even called that, and by version 8.5 I knew it inside out. Then the big change of X1, plus the horrible Roland era alienated many users, but since version X3 and the Gibson aquisition things are back on track again and getting better every month. By version X2 I was using Live more, but with X3 Sonar is again my first choice. I am delaying the upgrade to Platinum because I am moving shortly to a new place, and I am buying a new desktop, but I am definitely installing it in the new machine, along with Live. If Cakewalk keeps improving at the same rate, I can see Sonar being my main DAW again.

About the forum, I'll just say that reading complaints about it in KVR sounds to me like people in Syria complaining about crime rates in Detroit, not to mention that some Cakewalk haters seem to have graduated to Cakewalk stalkers, but whatever... :roll:
no, the problem was that it crashed re loading projects with it's own plugins or the playhead would disappear or... and so on and so on.. fundamental show stopper bugs that I've never experienced in any other DAW.. that had nothing to do with "RTFM".

Sure X3 and now platinum might have fixed it finally but after multiple years of issues it was just too late for many of us i feel.

1,300 page manual and still the index was missing things.
Barry

trimph1 wrote:Well, overall, I do feel that a big part of the deepness of Sonar is the amount of bloat it now has. Every update has seen an additional something added to the program.

Agreed :tu:
The basic DAW itself is very much legacy software with bits bolted on IMHO.
There are issues to be addressed rather than bundling more third party stuff with it.
Why won't you delete this account as I have requested Ben ?

Maybe this is worth its own thread ... what if someone made a daw which included no bundled effects or instruments, with the devs' brainpower continually focussed on making an uber-stable, inuitive, non-flakey host / mixer, which can deal over time with all / most of the tempermental plugs, and solid audio and midi editing tools and routing?

Once it had proven itself in the wild, I for one would flock there like a hot potato. I already have all the VSTis and FX I'll ever need. I don't need a high-maintenance platinum-haired playboy bunny who changes her look each month; I need a solid, stodgy Slavic wife with massive calves and forearms to help with the harvest, year after year.

Hi Lingyai,

Okay, if you insist :ud:

I have Live, Studio One and Cubase.

I'm thinking of getting a MBookPro because I want to get Final Cut Pro, so I may as well get Logic Pro primarily as my ideal traveling companion (sketchpad) it comes with adequate content to get ideas down. At this stage I'm only interested in melodies/hooks therefore, I can readily continue until the song is done, mixed and mastered using other hosts on my Windows studio desktop.

I had Live long before I moved on from Sonar. Live's workflow is brilliant for prep work for example, slicing and aligning clips on the fly, very nice workflow in that regard. I love hacking pieces of audio on the fly specifically for creating nice changes (short parts) to use in the song arrangement, to make songs much more interesting.

Cubase is my main go-to for handling large complex midi projects. I owned Studio One long before I got Cubase, both hosts are solid and have brilliant workflow features that are different yet work as expected. Got to love that :)

I keep all stems beginning at the same start-time and dry at the "Early Stages of Composition" . . . vocals and drums are the exception, I route them to busses with standard limiter and reverb added. This makes transferring to another host easy, and efficient when collaborating with others who use a different host, some say Digital Performer is their main go-to host, others claim PTNative is a must have due to their work.
People have their own factual opinions, and Internet laws should be respected. This message is in general and therefore, not intended to offend anyone but as a reminder to at least respect others and their rights. Peace 8)

Hi RockinMillie,

Earlier I saw an unintentional error. Thanks for editing it out. :tu:
People have their own factual opinions, and Internet laws should be respected. This message is in general and therefore, not intended to offend anyone but as a reminder to at least respect others and their rights. Peace 8)

lingyai wrote:Once it had proven itself in the wild, I for one would flock there like a hot potato. I already have all the VSTis and FX I'll ever need. I don't need a high-maintenance platinum-haired playboy bunny who changes her look each month; I need a solid, stodgy Slavic wife with massive calves and forearms to help with the harvest, year after year.
Well, heh heh, :hihi: don't try to make friends with me... :hihi: :lol: :hihi: :D :clap: 8) :D :hihi:

Oh, and by the way...about MuLab, you should really talk to Jo again, maybe MuLab is the "Slavic wife" you need...

Grizzellda likes it!!!

I messed with MuLab for around 15 hours over two weeks. Found a lot to like, actually, until... I wanted to loop playback while adjusting a volume envelope which spanned the looped range. Very basic editing capability. Couldn't figure it out. Wrote the dev, whose answer seemed kind of off, veering immediately into the topic of loop creation. I was going to follow up when I hit the Waves / Nectar problem, a show-stopper, so didn't bother.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”