Tokyo Dawn Labs just released TDR Nova GE

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
TDR Nova TDR Nova GE

Thanks for the info, that's good to know.
It's easy if you know how

Thanks for this GEM. Not only does it work as intended, it also looks gorgeous and sound fantastic. One small bug I found (already mentioned? did not read all posts) In Cubase 8/64 if I open a VSTi first and then the inserted NOVA, the EQ is laying UNDER the VSTi surface and i cannot get it on top. Annoying but only a bit...

Sid Francis wrote:Thanks for this GEM. Not only does it work as intended, it also looks gorgeous and sound fantastic. One small bug I found (already mentioned? did not read all posts) In Cubase 8/64 if I open a VSTi first and then the inserted NOVA, the EQ is laying UNDER the VSTi surface and i cannot get it on top. Annoying but only a bit...
We don't have control over the window itself, this is the host's business. Or what do you mean with "the EQ is laying UNDER" exactly, the host's plugin window or NOVA's own popup elements (such as tooltips, lists, etc)?
Fabien from Tokyo Dawn Records

Check out my audio processors over at the Tokyo Dawn Labs!

Since you've mentioned it, tooltips are not shown completely for Undo/Redo and both A/B buttons.
32bit Nova

It's easy if you know how

FabienTDR wrote:yep, GR is limited to 12dB with a knee starting at 6dB approaching 12dB max in an asymptotic manner. There's also a ratio dependent aspect. ..no, we will not make this user-controllable, as it also also goes hand in hand with the 12dB display/gain limit. ;) It's somewhat in balance with other aspects of NOVA.

Generally, NOVA uses several forms of automation to keep the amount of controls low, while still covering a wide, musically sensible functional range (and minimizing related dead-angles). This also affects compression knee, timing and of course the auto-gain.
Thanks for the clarification, but based on this I wonder if the ratio might be better labelled as a general compression amount 1-10 since it doesn't really follow a traditional ratio?

Thank you for reporting the bugs you encounter, we'll try to reproduce and fix them asap. :tu:

If you haven't already, pls consider filling a bug report:

Fill a bug report | Tokyo Dawn Records

It helps us keeping track of all reported issues in relation to plugin versions, OS/formats and DAWs.

TDR Nova Standard and GE have been updated to version 1.0.5

Please re-download and install the latest files:
Standard Edition: http://www.tokyodawn.net/tdr-nova/
Gentleman's Edition: http://www.tokyodawn.net/tdr-nova-ge/
Customer profile: https://store.tokyodawn.net/

1.0.5 Hotfix update

# UI Performance improved
# Audible clicks related to filter type changes reduced
# Fixed issue related to shift + double click

1.0.4 Hotfix update

# Fixed severe persitence issue (shame on us!)
# Fixed various little mouse-handling issues

1.0.3 Hotfix update

# Solo band activation changed to CMD(i.e. CTRL) + SHIFT
# Solo band doesn't mute audio anymore if no band is selected
# Solo band autogain behaviour fixed
# Analyzer mode no more affected by preset changes
# Fixed delta for solo, Sum/Diff and Left/Right processing modes
# Fixed threshold curve disapearing
# Fixed bug related to preset handling and Q parameters
# Fixed gfx refresh issues in some hosts (e.g. FL Studio)

what a week! :pray:

1.0.6 Maintenance update

Please re-download and install the latest files:
Standard Edition: http://www.tokyodawn.net/tdr-nova/
Gentleman's Edition: http://www.tokyodawn.net/tdr-nova-ge/
Customer profile: https://store.tokyodawn.net/

# UI Performance improved
# Deactivation of band groups now possible (via the ON buttons)
# Dragging band group in the analyzer while in band solo mode now possible
# Fixed bug where the ratio knob appeared twice
# Fixed minor graphical issues
# Fixed bug related to Q and ORDER BY FREQ
# RELEASE range increased (down to 10ms)
# Mousewheel in SOLO mode corrected

Thanks Fabien! Putting that solo mode in really threw a spanner in the works eh? :D Great job on getting the fixes out - Nova's awesome! Will be getting the GE as soon as finances allow :)

Are the level detectors based on RMS or peaks? Sorry if it's explained in the manual or something, I didn't bother to read.

camsr wrote:Are the level detectors based on RMS or peaks? Sorry if it's explained in the manual or something, I didn't bother to read.
obviously RMS I'd say or a form of heavy GR smoothing... anyway, in other words.. I'd also like to know! :D

Unfortunately the release time is still nowhere near as fast enough.

Dynamic Eqs AFAIK are used more like surgical tools instead of "musical" ones, so musical response times don't make much sense here IMhO ... they are there to control resonance, fix problems etc ... basically the more you go up the freq range, usually the faster you'll want the time response ...

Fabien said it's based on Kotelnikov tech, so maybe it's both RMS and Peaks?

FabienTDR wrote:
VariKusBrainZ wrote:They should finally open source it or at least Gpl, so stuck in some some previous decade.
It is open source. The problem here is (plugin host) manufacturers incapable of following, or at least properly documenting their own standards. Some do it right, see AAX, the format, documentation and support is excellent.
AFAIK VST2.4 SDK is not open source in the "traditional sense" that it can be forked, the community can modify it, and release back to the community. It is a closed source framework delivered in source code form. AFAIK the 2.4 license forbids redistribution, which would rule out any sort of forking (and hence dev issues with GPL'd plugins).

If VST2 were truly open source then some bright person could fork it, add some plumbing for the missing sidechain routings, keep 98% of VST2 code, maintain full compatibility with 2.4 (novel idea, I know), and release it as VST2.5... aka "The Betterer VST2". Devs migrate to
2.5, 3.x goes down in history as a technical solution looking for a problem.

Alas... it is not to be.

Anyway. Different thread, sorry for the diversion.
You need to limit that rez, bro.

Again, VST2 is fully multi I/O capable, see Reaper. The bottle-necks are the typical political/shareholder-value decisions of plugin host manufacturers. The VST2 format can do all this stuff (side-chaining to death), it's just that some hosts don't want it for various reasons.

FabienTDR wrote:The VST2 format can do all this stuff (side-chaining to death), it's just that some hosts don't want it for various reasons.
I think at this stage, it's only "two hosts" now... and they come out of the same house, where the SDK originated from as well. I think this is even the saddest point.

But the best workaround is the QUAD Group trick. Not elegant, yet it works.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Return to “Effects”