Python script - aupreset to fxp and back

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

CPB wrote:
  • Download the converter app from here (under file/download): https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B7dihS ... XJxSGFRaUE
  • Unzip it into your home (~) directory.
  • Create a folder in your home directory called "vstpresets", into which you should copy all your V-Station FXP presets.
  • From the Terminal, run:

Code: Select all

./fxp2aupreset.app/Contents/MacOS/fxp2aupreset ~/vstpresets/ aumu VStn NVTN data
    [/size]
  • If all goes according to plan, you should now have corresponding aupresets in the vstpreset folder. Copy these to ~/Library/Audio/Presets, or wherever you usually put them.
However, there is a chance this may not work. It has, so far, for every plug-in I've tried, but we are translating one opaque, undocumented binary chunk into another. So no guarantees! Still, I'd be interested to hear how you get on.

If there was suitable interest, I could potentially knock this up into a proper UI driven app, although I have a feeling the age of proprietary format-specific preset formats, and hence the long-term usefulness of such an endeavour, is approaching its end.

* ('aumu VStn NVTN', the path, type, and manufacturer, were found by running "auval -a | grep V-Station". The 'data' state key was found by opening the aupreset and reading the name of the key from within.)
not working (successfully converts but logic does not load presets :(

'We' got it working for Albino 3 .fxp presets.
Only tried it with a couple of folders of presets ..so far.
We did have a few that wouldn't load into Logic. But 99.5% have…. so far
Only 3800 presets to go.

Hi I'm in a bit of a bind and need to convert (in a hurry) some AUPRESETs to .fxp as per the original link in this thread.

Problem is I don't know the first thing about Python.

Any chance someone could give me some hints? I'm on windows 7

Backstory:
I'm a keyboard player, doing a cd release gig very soon and the artist is adamant about having exactly the same sounds as the recording. The producer (mac based) and I have all the same plugins (kontakt 9) and he very kindly gave all the presets to me but he couldn't find a way to export the presets as anything except AUPRESET. To me this it's crazy that there is no option to export cross platform. NUTS! and very frustrating.

anyhow if you guys have any tips on how to execute that script i would be massively appreciative.

cheers

Been trying to convert some Spectral (Linplug) fxp patches to aupresets - so far not had any luck - the few I have managed to convert will not load into Spectral via Logic X library

Hi colin@loomer!

do you have the same for converting .aupreset to vst?

I just can't get my head around running Python scripts...

I may be able to help, although as I've said before, success in converting one opaque format to another is really the luck of the draw. Providing that both formats just store .aupresets and .fxp presets using the same binary format, you'll be fine. Otherwise, there is nothing to be done, I'm afraid.

For which plug-in did you want to convert presets?
Architect, the modular MIDI toolkit, beta now available for macOS, Windows, and Linux.

Thanks!
mainly imposcar, minimonsta and oddity.

They come with aupreset and fxp versions of patches already.

It's my own patches made on Logic on another system.
I don't have Logic or a Mac anymore and I do want those patches.

I see, well you could send the Oddity patches to someone with the Mac version as you can convert between aupreset and fxp using Oddity, unfortunately I can't see how to do with with Imposcar though.

Oh hang on - maybe I could do that using Kore? Are there a lot?

For .aupreset to .vst, you'll need to use yairadix's original script, available here: http://www.juce.com/forum/topic/script- ... preset-fxp

If you don't want to faff about trying to run python scripts, you could PM the presets to me and I can try to convert them for you? I've got python, etc, all set up, and - provided the script is still compatible with Python 3! - I can run your presets through the script pretty quickly. I don't have those plug-ins though, so can't confirm myself that any conversion will work.
Architect, the modular MIDI toolkit, beta now available for macOS, Windows, and Linux.

thank you for your responses guys.

Colin, that's real nice of you to propose! I'll send the presets over. there aren't many.

if it won't work, I'll have to find someone with a mac/logic to install the plugins over there and try to export it differently.

If there's not a lot I can certainly convert the Oddity ones at least using Oddity's own preset format as the intermediary.

I've not done much Python but if those formats are plain text, I should be able to script something up to convert anything to anything.

Actually, that should be possible with MSExcel, a spreadsheet to convert presets. If they're plain text or xml or some other readable format.

I may look into that, a Windows script to convert entire banks of vst presets to S1 native presets.

Sharing my notes, if anyone comes down this rabbit hole in the future seeking to make either yairadix's original aupreset2fxp or colin@loomer's fxp2aupreset python scripts work.

They require the construct library, install via pip or however.
https://pypi.org/project/construct/

I got the scripts to work only in v2 Python, for which I resorted to using pyenv.

Pay attention to Colin's note about jucePluginState key. Likely to be a source of error at first and likely to be unique per plugin developer.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”