chromaphone question

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi, folks. I'm looking at chromaphone. I already have tassman, so I'm wondering if this really adds enough to warrant a purchase. I will say that I got string studio a couple of years ago and use it much more than tassman; should I anticipate the same with chromaphone?

Yes. Chromaphone is the favourite AAS synth of many people. Just compare the number and type of parameters in a Tassman Drum Synth patch with those in the Chromaphone gui, and you will see the big difference. Plus, the Chromaphone parameters enable a wide range of sounds, it is easy to dial in the sound you want, it sounds great and original, and all that adds up to FUN! Listen to the AAS and patchpool Chromaphone demos.
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

I have the whole AAS line and Chromophone is by far the one that I use the most. It is great for dialing in a new sound for inspiration. Tassman is great, but every time I open it up, I feel like I am climbing a hill to get to what I want.
This space has been unintentionally left blank.

big +1 for Chromaphone

pdxindy wrote:big +1 for Chromaphone
It's one of my favorite instruments of all time. I use it in every track for melodic inspiration/experimentation. It sounds incredible.

so I'm wondering if this really adds enough to warrant a purchase.
Yes! It has some distinct sonic improvements over Tassman. If you like the way AAS does physical modeling then Chromaphone will be a pleasant surprise!
Get it!
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

Thanks, folks. Merry Christmas to me. :hihi:

Best decision you could make. Enjoy!

I really like it personally. I hope you enjoy it too. I also hope AAS are working on a new version. As good as it is there are some things that could be improved. That said it's a really unique synth that sounds great.

I agree with all the others -- easy to get really superb sounds, and much easier to use than Tassman. In fact, if you do not buy this, bad things could happen ... I'm no authority, i'm just saying...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tDj_Van ... uNbgY-4qFK

I'm not the Messiah. I'm not the Messiah!

I just picked this up while it was on sale. It really does sound fantastic!
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

It makes great sounds but the lack of expression features is a major limitation and a stupid one considering the reason people prefer physical modelling is to make the sound more alive in ways you can't do with sample based instruments, and yet no pitchbend, no aftertouch, crippled MW support (just limited to vibrato), I find all of this a real turn off.

aMUSEd wrote:the reason people prefer physical modelling is to make the sound more alive in ways you can't do with sample based instruments, and yet no pitchbend, no aftertouch
???
How does it make sense to pitchbend a marimba, vibraphone, or the other Mallet exciters? Why not just map your pitchwheel to Hit Point or the Resonators Balance? There are also about 7 parameters that can be linked to key velocity at the same time. To me, they seem more realistic percussion expression :shrug:
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

papatomany wrote:Hi, folks. I'm looking at chromaphone. I already have tassman, so I'm wondering if this really adds enough to warrant a purchase. I will say that I got string studio a couple of years ago and use it much more than tassman; should I anticipate the same with chromaphone?
All completely unique and sound good.
Chromaphone is also a ton of fun.
--After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.

-Aldous Huxley

MIDI assignments for Chromaphone in the style of String Studio etc have been talked about for sure and I think they will be implemented some time. I'm guessing that updating Chromaphone is still not top of the list compared to getting all the older products refreshed and onto to the new framework - only Tassman still to do though, I think, so perhaps things may happen after that? In the meantime DAW automation of all parameters is an OK workaround, and one that I've used.

More generally, Chromaphone is much more focused than Tassman and has several specific things that can't be done in Tassman - like increasing the resonator quality and coupling resonators - and a lot of modulation options that could theoretically be done in Tassman but are MUCH more user-friendly and accessible in Chromaphone. Unless you make yourself a Tassman-ninja, Chromaphone will be the one you find yourself reaching for first.
Textur for ACE
After Hours for Lounge Lizard EP-4
Prism Sticks for Chromaphone 2

Return to “Instruments”