Klevgränd SquashIt is free over the x-mas weekend

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
SquashIt Vandelay multiband echo device

Compyfox wrote: I also find it highly annoying that there isn't even a PDF bundled with the tool, and that ALL presets have pitch modulation engaged. Which is really off-putting during demoing.

So let's cut to the important bits - how to use this plugin:

LEFT SIDE OF THE GUI
:
MIX and Tempo Settings. Should be pretty much self explanatory

TOP SECTION OF THE GUI:
Changes the delay grid (seen in the background of the colored bars) to 1/16th or 1/12th, and activates a SNAP feature or not. The company logo opens the product page

THE MAIN GUI:
The main GUI is split into three bands. Green is the top frequency band, Yellow the middle, and Red the low frequency band. Sadly there is no frequency indication where the crossover points are, so you have to work via ear (really annoying sometimes, especially if you try to dial it in with the mix dial at 40/60 so that you can hear what's going on in context to the source signal).

Let's take a look at the green bar:
To the left of the bar are several buttons and a slider. The M button is for "MUTE", the "crossed arrows" is for switching the stereo field. You have no further influence on the stereo width or where there delay starts to ping first. The horizontal slider declares the volume of the frequency band

Now in the bar itself, are two circles with plus symbols in them. If you click somewhere on the green bar, one of these circles has a fairly thick border, the other does not. This is important. The "thick" one declares the delay position and the feedback. If you click+hold and move the mouse up/down, you change the feedback strength. The small (thin border) circle declares the pitch modulation. If you see a sinus waveform in the background, that means pitch modulation is engaged. You can change the strength with click+hold and move the mouse left/right. A flat line = no modulation, very small sinus intervals = strong wobbling

How to engage a "band-passed delay": just mute the bands you don't need.

SUMMARY:
This plugin sounds... okay. But the demo presets are just atrocious IMO. And the steep price for the VST version compared to the iOS app is just crazy. I would also love to see the one or another add-on like a frequency indication, or an input gain boost. But that's just me being technical. What this release definitely needs, is a shipped manual - PERIOD. And, you definitely have to learn how to "listen" again before you can close the GUI and leave the settings be.

I definitely recommend to demo it first, and then decide if it's really worth grabbing. As of this moment, to me it's nothing I can't re-create with a modular subhost and way more flexible delay modules. Though YMMV.
Could it be done better ?
Yes and I`m sure they`ll feel inspired to hear from you.

Could it be done better than giving it away for free ?
No and I think mainly that`s what is appreciated.

The freebie is a way to get in touch with what Klevgränd is doing, it may click with you, it may not.

It may be worth to report them the issues and suggestions you have
so they can think about better vst developement and they also have feedback of users needs.

The huge difference on pricing between ios and vst versions is a common picture,
I guess because of the different amount of work to be done, not sure.

In general what I personally find interesting on Klevgränd
is the approach to bring the ios layout and workflow into the world of pc`s.

It`s a new way to look at things and vst developement
and I don`t expect to see everything working perfectly right off-hand.

However, thanks for your detailed description.
Intel i7-4790K | Gigabyte Z97X-UD3H | 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport | RME Babyface Pro | UAD PCIe Octo, Quad | Asus GT 730 | Toshiba DT01ACA200 2TB | LG GH24NSB0 | W10 Pro 64bit | S1 latest

Well, Klevgränd already has a freebie, and that is just as undocumented and scarce GUI wise.

So I don't think that they will change their "concept" from given feedback by Audio Engineers and regular users alike. Their original market wasn't even VST/AU but iOS. But I like to be positive surprised.

Regarding the pricing:
There are SDKs on the market at this point that now drop Apps and regular computer plugins at the touch of a button. And with distributing it directly through the Apple AppStore, they loose out even more. So in turn the "regular PC users" have to bleed financially. I find that a bit(!) questionable to be honest.

But again, YMMV.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Thank you Compyfox for taking the time to explain the plug. Much appreciated.

Also find some of Klevgrand's product videos very uninformative and pointless. They should improve that too.

Compyfox wrote:But I like to be positive surprised.
Yap, on spot, me too ... that`s the credit that should be given,
it`s totally up to them in what direction Klevgränd as a company goes.

If they don`t care, people will not care either.
If they care with open ears to suggestions and feedback, people will care in return.

But someone must give that credit and submit issues, suggestions and feedback
to see in what direction things are going to be.

I.e.
the gfx issue has been reported and a fix followed,
the missing EULA has been reported and is now forwarded to the appropriate person(s).

Someone has to work with them so they can work with you.

I can`t follow you on other various points, like,
why should they give a freebie when there is already one (maybe more in the sense of donationware),
thats almost tautologic and throws itself into an abyss, I don`t want to go there.

But hey, Klevgränd gave a freebie to enjoy
and the last thing this topic deserves is a back and forth between us,
so I`ll leave it as is now.
Intel i7-4790K | Gigabyte Z97X-UD3H | 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport | RME Babyface Pro | UAD PCIe Octo, Quad | Asus GT 730 | Toshiba DT01ACA200 2TB | LG GH24NSB0 | W10 Pro 64bit | S1 latest

My pont was, that this freebie is just as undocumented and also has a scarce GUI. Nothing to do with the Black Friday Weekend Freebie.

I stand my ground on the pricing however
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

pulling my hair out a bit on first try…
Looks like it might be a useful tool though :)
Need to work out the delay times, seems like it's "all over the show".
A manual would be good :P

sqigls wrote:pulling my hair out a bit on first try…
Looks like it might be a useful tool though :)
Need to work out the delay times, seems like it's "all over the show".
A manual would be good :P
Hi ho, I tried to point this out like ...
Omkar wrote: ... someone must give that credit and submit issues,
suggestions and feedback to see in what direction things are going to be.
It seems the most common request is a pdf manual,
my intention there is, please hit the Klevgränd support, because ...
Omkar wrote:Someone has to work with them so they can work with you.
Let them know what is jumping at you
and if you feel like to report back your experience with support ... great,
better picture can be taken of how responsive Klevgränd is.

Maybe there is a future for them and us, maybe not.

Cheers from and with a delay, elay .. elay .. elay .. elay

The 1.0.1 updates have fixed the GUI issues I was having with all of their plugins. :tu:

Now SquashIt is free over the x-mas weekend :party:

Thanks to BPB and KG :tu:

http://bedroomproducersblog.com/2015/12 ... ashit-free

Again, thanx to all involved!

Nice. I do like Klevgrand's UI designs, simple and effective.

Awesome!

And remember you can get a cut-down copy of Enkl with next week's Computer Music.

sprnva wrote:And remember you can get a cut-down copy of Enkl with next week's Computer Music.
Apparently not, its been put back till next month. Toneboosters Sibilance CM is included instead.

Nice one Klevgrand and BPB :tu:

Cheers everyone and Merry Christmas!

Also, thanks Numanoid for the share and of course Klevgränd produktion for the excellent freebie!

:party:
Bedroom Producers Blog << Free VST Plugins!

Return to “Effects”