One Synth Challenge #81: Oxe FM (z.prime wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Oxe FM Synth

Entry:

https://soundcloud.com/hennessey/bh990- ... -oxefm-v83

31 Instances of OxeFM

Live 9.5 with EQ8, Dynamic Tube, Saturator, Simple Delay, Filter Delay, Compressor, Glue Compressor, Reverb, Auto Pan, Auto Filter, Ping Pong Delay, and Limiter

3rd Party
Camel Crusher, Molot, TDR VOS Slick EQ, and Limiter6

Hi all,

Just a quick note to say I've changed my track a little. The percussion is now even more of a straight feel and the reverb on the snare and hats reduced to bring them into line with the room feel. Thanks to the in depth comment from "mehum" for taking my track in this direction. Has a better feel again - hope those who have listened already like the changes.

Enjoy,

dB

https://soundcloud.com/doctorbob/doctor ... -fm-osc-81

Hey Reaper OSC experts: how can I get Reaper to spit out a clean render? I get horrible glitching noise in mine, like Studio One would make in realtime when I overtaxed the CPU, but this is in the render, which makes no sense. I'd expect that there'd be some render option that wouldn't care about CPU and "just work", but maybe Reaper doesn't work that way. I've tried a few options, but they aren't well documented, so I'm getting nowhere. Thanks!

What system are you on? On Mac I just told it to render the master mix for the whole file, 48k 24bit wav and selected render 1 file. Also, I think they suggest that you have no other programs open when you do the render.

I think there's a "real time" option.. DON'T use that, obviously...

I'm on Windows 10. It does have that option, I think I tried it, but I'll give it another go. I've also tried two versions of rendering to stems with no luck. What render option do you use, e.g. "Full speed offline" or one of the others?

I didn't have any problems rendering my previous OSC Reaper project, so it's likely something I've done, but the glitches I'm hearing sound like it's "just" CPU and not, for example, clipping, which I'd expect to be more deterministic. And I'd expect rendering to "just" take longer if it's hitting the CPU hard.
ontrackp wrote:What system are you on? On Mac I just told it to render the master mix for the whole file, 48k 24bit wav and selected render 1 file. Also, I think they suggest that you have no other programs open when you do the render.

Well, I don't know if I'll ever really figure out FM synths, but here's my submission:

https://soundcloud.com/jmquarles/jmqjmq ... me-cowbell

Done with Tracktion6

Oxe FM x 20
Tal reverb x 2
Ambience x 2
Tal-dub3 x 4
Tal filter2 x 2
Reaeq x 4
Molot2 x 5
IVGI x 7
Thrillseeker vbl
TDR slick eq
TDR Nova
TDR Kotelnikov
Limiter6

z.prime wrote:I think there's a "real time" option.. DON'T use that, obviously...
So after writing gigabytes of glitched out renders and stems that sounded like someone was randomly smacking or blowing into the mike... THIS is what worked. Realtime output. SRSLY. WTF. :dog: But, that said, THANKS Z, you are The Zed. :pray: :tu: :hug: :D

psmacmur wrote:I'm on Windows 10. It does have that option, I think I tried it, but I'll give it another go. I've also tried two versions of rendering to stems with no luck. What render option do you use, e.g. "Full speed offline" or one of the others?

I didn't have any problems rendering my previous OSC Reaper project, so it's likely something I've done, but the glitches I'm hearing sound like it's "just" CPU and not, for example, clipping, which I'd expect to be more deterministic. And I'd expect rendering to "just" take longer if it's hitting the CPU hard.
ontrackp wrote:What system are you on? On Mac I just told it to render the master mix for the whole file, 48k 24bit wav and selected render 1 file. Also, I think they suggest that you have no other programs open when you do the render.
I used full speed off line. Perhaps you should try an old fashioned bounce mix -- play it out a pair of hardware outputs and bring it in onto two new audio tracks that don't output back into the mix?

I'm glad you got it to work.... real time output, interesting. Looking forward to hearing your piece!

Oh man...well, here's my stunningly conventional thingy...
https://soundcloud.com/taronium/taron-d ... a-goth-kid

Title: A Dull Day At The Mall With A Goth Kid

Yep, a long title for a short ode to consumerism... :hihi: :ud:
I don't know why, but somehow the FM stuff made me do something utterly boring and I ended up having fun with it.

OXE: 22 instances

DAW: MuLab

MuLab's Internal Effects: PingPongBeat, TeaVerb, TightRoom,4 Band with Saturation, 2BandEQ, Vintage Echo

3rd Party Effects: Nova 67-P, LoudMax64, TSL's Feedback Compressor 2, Voxengo's Boogex

Taron wrote:Oh man...well, here's my stunningly conventional thingy...
https://soundcloud.com/taronium/taron-d ... a-goth-kid

Title: A Dull Day At The Mall With A Goth Kid

Yep, a long title for a short ode to consumerism... :hihi: :ud:
I don't know why, but somehow the FM stuff made me do something utterly boring and I ended up having fun with it.

OXE: 22 instances

DAW: MuLab

MuLab's Internal Effects: PingPongBeat, TeaVerb, TightRoom,4 Band with Saturation, 2BandEQ, Vintage Echo

3rd Party Effects: Nova 67-P, LoudMax64, TSL's Feedback Compressor 2, Voxengo's Boogex

Man, I so look forward to listening to your stuff cause it's so out there. This one did not disappoint. LOL.

I wonder what I'd find if I opened up your brain?

Anyway, I only give it a 4 because of the boring consumerism factor. Otherwise, it was great.

Good luck in the contest this month. Not sure if this is a top 5er (too laid back) but it's going to be up there.

Ahahahaha...it's a complaint against consumerism, not a representative, haha. Make it a 4 "because it's boring", please! :lol:
Thanks, though, wag! It was really fun to create those sounds, though. I've used probably three or four presets as starters, but all the rest is from scratch and it surprised me just how convincing this little FM synth could get. :)

Getting back into the real spirit, though, the OSC to me is still mostly a chance to explore synths and get creative and- above all- have fun with it. As much as I'm thrilled to find so much wonderful appreciation for my stuff, it remains entirely focused on enjoying the ride and not any "awards" (initially I wrote "rewards", but being with all of you here is such a great reward that I do enjoy that just as much!).

Tremendous stuff from all of you, again, though. :tu:

wagtunes wrote: Good luck in the contest this month. Not sure if this is a top 5er (too laid back) but it's going to be up there.
Why can't a laid back piece be in the Top 5? I think there are some great softer songs that are way more musical and better produced than most of the higher energy EDM, trance, house, techno, (or whatever the flavor of the month genre is called).

I couldn't agree more, but I can see how people would expect others to respond more favorably to something more "sensational" than to something relaxed. Oddly enough, I would expect them to listen to the more relaxed pieces again more often, hehe...I know I do. :)

Return to “Instruments”