Punchiest free compressors out there atm?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Can't get it for free anymore but a lot of us got it for free (maybe even you?): NI Supercharger
Play it by ear

JB's Red Phatt Pro probably falls in that category.

Very aggressive in deed, in fact so much so that giving punch to drums is pretty much the only thing i ever really use it for.

(Sure, it can be used for other stuff, but since its general character is definitely a bit on the 'hard-and-brutal' side, you probably couldnt exactly call it an 'allrounder'. But for percussion its excellent.)

Unfortunately its not available directly from JB anymore, (it was originally posted on his website but later he decided to remove it), but wayback has the package that contains it archived. The package also contains Auditor Pro, Barricade Pro, and many more.

pheeleep wrote:Can't get it for free anymore but a lot of us got it for free (maybe even you?): NI Supercharger
Is it punchy? Got it sitting on my harddrive but never installed.

ENV1 wrote:JB's Red Phatt Pro probably falls in that category.

Very aggressive in deed, in fact so much so that giving punch to drums is pretty much the only thing i ever really use it for.

(Sure, it can be used for other stuff, but since its general character is definitely a bit on the 'hard-and-brutal' side, you probably couldnt exactly call it an 'allrounder'. But for percussion its excellent.)

Unfortunately its not available directly from JB anymore, (it was originally posted on his website but later he decided to remove it), but wayback has the package that contains it archived. The package also contains Auditor Pro, Barricade Pro, and many more.
I would call it more 'thin and peaky'. Everything that goes through it just sounds brittle. Imo that comp was a bit of a misfire when compared to all his other great plugins.
Mastering from £30 per track \\\
Facebook \\\ #masteredbyloz

The punchiest comp I have is Overtone DSP's DYN500 - for snares and kicks it delivers punch without smearing the transient like a lot of other comps do.

do_androids_dream wrote:
I would call it more 'thin and peaky'. Everything that goes through it just sounds brittle. Imo that comp was a bit of a misfire when compared to all his other great plugins.
I guess 'peaky' sort of applies.

But thin/brittle, no, not in my experience.

Check out this here clip.

TS-808 through Red Phatt Pro, Without>With>Without>With.

Of course the bassdrum sticks out the most, but personally i like how it gives this hard yet smooth explosiveness to the snare even better.

(In other words no complaints over here.) :)

ENV1 wrote:
do_androids_dream wrote:
I guess 'peaky' sort of applies.

But thin/brittle, no, not in my experience.

Check out this here clip.

TS-808 through Red Phatt Pro, Without>With>Without>With.

Of course the bassdrum sticks out the most, but personally i like how it gives this hard yet smooth explosiveness to the snare even better.

(In other words no complaints over here.) :)
Hmm.. actually sounds very nice on those drums - gives a nice shimmery punch. I know that codec_spurt (he hasn't been around for a long time) used to keep saying how good it was on synthetic drums. Might have to re-evaluate for that purpose. I certainly couldn't ever get it sounding 'good' on vocals/guitar etc. - always seemed to brittle'ize everything.

I know it's not free but I am going to say it anyway.. waves DBX, under $70 at a reseller and sale ending soon. It's about the only decent compressor plugin in their entire lineup (more on that soon, i am actually going to put my money where my mouth is on this one and give final proof that 99% of waves compressors actually don't behave like compressors at all, something i have been saying for years.. stay tuned.. it's all gui placebo with them), and it certainly gives you punchy drums. Not bad at all. That and the API2600 are the two good compressors in waves' *entire* catalogue.

Yes,

Variety of Sound Thrillseeker VBL will do the job!

chk071 wrote:
pheeleep wrote:Can't get it for free anymore but a lot of us got it for free (maybe even you?): NI Supercharger
Ya it is, and, what is wrong with you? :)
Play it by ear

do_androids_dream wrote:The punchiest comp I have is Overtone DSP's DYN500 - for snares and kicks it delivers punch without smearing the transient like a lot of other comps do.
I must agree with this one, it's a very good comp but you have to understand it's gain-staging to get the best out of it. And you can use is as a simple non-linear device too.

For anything punchy, anything close to a dbx-type sound will do (VCA-comp). Stillwell Major Tom (with oversampling engaded) is pretty violent, more new dbx than old dbx. I have a real discrete dbx 119 that is actually more smooth than the classic dbx punch.

Ichad.c wrote:Stillwell Major Tom (with oversampling engaded) is pretty violent..
A Lovely thing is Major Tom. I haven't used it for ages but, as I recall, I got very good results by lowering the threshold as low as it would go and just using the ratio to control the compression.

do_androids_dream wrote:
Ichad.c wrote:I got very good results by lowering the threshold as low as it would go and just using the ratio to control the compression.
+1 :wink:

pheeleep wrote:
chk071 wrote:
Ya it is, and, what is wrong with you? :)
Supercharger's great and can usually be picked up for next to nothing in the marketplace.

Personally I love me some saturated punchy Supercharger GT. Very similar to UBK-1 (by same dev)...or what about the Dyna-mite! Unfortunately not free, but all currently going for around 50% off.

Return to “Effects”