RealiDrums Released! A New Concept in Drum Libraries

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS
RealiDrums

^^^ to clarify, by "trigger" i also mean automate

This is one great tool and some good suggestions for making it even better. How can I download the latest update for it?

A quickie to Mike: how long do you anticipate this Intro+BF price to hold?

/Joachim
If it were easy, anybody could do it!

This looks amazing as usual. I don't think realitone can make a bad product.

It seems so much easier to use than things like melda drummer or jamstix, even if ultimately they are more powerful.

I am impressed with the demo sounds in the video, really punchy drums.

Mike I am disappointed however you uploaded such a low res vid in this day and age. it should have been 720p minimum.

Mike, the groove generator is really cool but everyone keeps on doing these sorts of things for acoustic drums.. I am going to formally request "synthetidrums" - I would love something that could intelligently build grooves as i am SHITE at drum programming ( my one big compositional weakness).

Anyway, congrats as always

Mike, if you could come back to us on these questions while the sale is still on, it would be great!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tDj_Van ... uNbgY-4qFK

I'm not the Messiah. I'm not the Messiah!

Maybe I missed it but I (and others too, i think) would really like to see a list of the drum kit pieces used. That is the 42 different snares, 7 different kicks, 11 hi hats, 24 rides, 33 crash cymbals etc. PS The web page does not mention the toms, but there must be at least 9 (looking at the screenshots).

Talking of the different kit pieces, I would also like to know the types and numbers of articulations for each kit piece.

That would draw us in.

And, perhaps, Mike will consider expansion packs later on?
DarkStar, ... Interesting, if true
Inspired by ...

Sounds great!

not sure i like the name

a_Scientist wrote:not sure i like the name
Oh, reali? :wink:

It fits the pattern naming of Realitone products, making it immediately recognizable as one of Mike's unique creations. Otherwise, chances would be greater that it would get lost in the ever-expanding sea of drum offerings.

lingyai wrote:Mike, if you could come back to us on these questions while the sale is still on, it would be great!
Ground Control to Major Mike...
I been waitin', coz this thing, I wanna like

seven

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tDj_Van ... uNbgY-4qFK

I'm not the Messiah. I'm not the Messiah!

My apologies for the absence. I’ve been out of the country for the last two weeks with no internet. (Terrible timing, I know, but I didn’t have a lot of options.)

Anyway, to answer some questions:
Spitfire31 wrote:A quickie to Mike: how long do you anticipate this Intro+BF price to hold?
Until the end of the year. Between Black Friday, Cyber Monday, and the Holidays, it’s not worth my time to change the prices back up again. So everything will be at the same Black Friday prices until New Years. (And with my past history of laziness, probably a few days after that, too. :D )
lingyai wrote:My understanding that the Groove generator is a recordable performance tool is part of what really grabbed me. Otherwise, I mean, while it's fun to do something cool live, if I can't record it somehow, it's not for me. But I think a workaround is possible which wouldn't require you to change anything -- it's using Kontakt's

Options->Engine->Send MIDI to outside world thing -- this should enable me to print the performace as midi, no?
I don’t think that would work because we don’t generate MIDI in the traditional way. Then again, neither does RealiBanjo, yet that method works for it:
http://realitone.com/wp-content/uploads ... Output.pdf

I can’t test it at the moment, plus I don’t think Logic is friendly to this process, but if anyone is inclined to give it a try, I’d be interested to know the results. Bear in mind we have a 30 day full refund policy on RealiDrums, so that’s an option, too.
guitarmanchu wrote:Is there any way to trigger fills or half-time feels like the old-school Groove Agent?
Not at the moment, but we’re working on a much slicker fills method where you can indeed trigger on the fly. That will be a free update, of course.
Musical Gym wrote:How can I download the latest update for it?
The latest update is always in the zip file download link. (We always replace older versions with the newest version at that link address, so the same link address is always the newest.) With that said, there have been no updates since the second day this was released, so very few people need to download again.
TheoM wrote:Mike I am disappointed however you uploaded such a low res vid in this day and age. it should have been 720p minimum.
I thought it *was* 720p! Just goes to show how little I know about this stuff. Being a one man band is hard! ;)
TheoM wrote:I am going to formally request "synthetidrums" - I would love something that could intelligently build grooves as i am SHITE at drum programming ( my one big compositional weakness).
This is a great idea. Funny thing is that Groove Generator for RealiDrums was more of an afterthought, and was really just intended as a way to audition drums without having to play them on your keyboard. I didn’t expect it would get so much attention, although when we added the Complexity options, I couldn’t help but play a lot with it in the video.

Anyway, the Groove Generator is an even more obvious fit for electronica, so we will indeed release something along those lines.
DarkStar wrote:Maybe I missed it but I (and others too, i think) would really like to see a list of the drum kit pieces used. That is the 42 different snares, 7 different kicks, 11 hi hats, 24 rides, 33 crash cymbals etc. PS The web page does not mention the toms, but there must be at least 9 (looking at the screenshots).

Talking of the different kit pieces, I would also like to know the types and numbers of articulations for each kit piece.
I think you’re right that there are 9 toms, although to be more accurate, there are 7 tom sets, with 2 of them played with brushes as well.

I’m not exactly sure what you mean by “articulations.” We just whacked each drum and recorded it. 3 to 7 velocities and 2 to 6 round robins for each drum.
DarkStar wrote:And, perhaps, Mike will consider expansion packs later on?
We’ll be adding more grooves and other stuff (for free), but have no plans for expansion packs of more drums. We purposefully went in the opposite direction as other companies, where they hook you with one or two kits, then sell you more later. We went for more of a “Here’s a ton of drums! You don’t really need any more!” approach. Heck, i wouldn’t even know what snares to sample next that would sound different enough from what we already have to be worthwhile.
garryknight wrote:
a_Scientist wrote:not sure i like the name
Oh, reali? :wink:
:D

Mike Greene wrote:I’m not exactly sure what you mean by “articulations.”
When you hit something in a drum kit, where you hit it has quite a lot of effect on the sound, pretty similar to how hard you hit it. For example, hit the bell of a cymbal sounds different from the bow and that sounds different from the edge. (I've mentioned the hi-hat before ;).) For drums, rim hits sound different from centre hits (and it varies a fair bit between). You also can get rim clicks, where the rim itself is struck - either tapped or with the stick resting on the head - making the drum resonate. Lots of these depend on the style you're playing -- i.e. more articulations means it's easier to use the kit in a wider range of styles effectively.

(I'd always sacrifice round robins in favour of articulations and velocity layers -- it's harder work in sampling the kit but much more expressive in the end, as it allows better control.)

Welcome back, hope all is ok. Thanks for reminding me how to get the update.

How do you get the midi grooves from kontakt into the sequencer in your daw?

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”