To ipad pro or not???

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Next month I can't decide if I should get an ipad pro. I have one with sprint. At the time, I couldn't resist the deal they gave me for being a long time customer. I have an ipad air. So I use maschine, reason, and reaper now. I have money put away, but I'm looking at my other needs. So instead of getting the ipad pro I could buy two more external hard drivers for Black friday, buy a vst or soundpacks, more ram to desktop, and then maybe purchase it when my agreement with sprint ends in may (ipad air). I want one so bad though. What do you think?

You have one now (the air)?

Well, I'm sorry, but what is a pro going to do that you don't have now? Bigger screen, not bad. But what is it going to do (and it's expensive!) that you can't do now?

I think mine is an air 2, and it's the shizzle. At first, ipads were a fad. They didn't do much. But for controlling reason (with rstouch, fabulous) or my line 6 firehawk (again, fabulous) and all the surfing I do on the run it's great. But looking at the ipad "pro" I'm not sure what the gigawad of cash would do for me.

It's a lot of money dude. It's not cheap. So unless the real-estate is a desperate need, not sure exactly why bone up for it :shrug:

Why? More CPU power, bigger screen. Question is whether the existing software is compatible or supports its new functionality yet.

i've got the iPad Pro on my list of "things i'm going to blow my saved cash on" for experimental use with graphics and music creation, and also for the same general media consumption i'm sick of doing on a laptop/desktop.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

I went to the Apple Store and played with the Garageband instruments for a while. The bigger size is very cool, if you like to play a lot with the virtual MIDI controllers.
Listen to me at soundcklick:
www.soundclick.com/wewritesongs

I have no doubt that I will be purchasing an IPad Pro, but just not yet, maybe the next version. I'm seriously looking at giving up my Elektron gear (rytm + octa) in favour of a pad based groove box, Samplr, Animoog, Patterning, these apps are too good to be just time killing toys. When they are compatible with split screen with the extra Realestate I'm in. The extra power is great but truth be told my iPad Air 2 seems to be powerful enough to run all these with Auria, audiobus and Genome as well.

iPad Pro? I Got one. and it's f*cking awesome. It's the ultimate midi controller for today's shrinking studio era. Use it with the musicIO app via only a lightning connector and it's a done deal!

key advantages are the stronger chip, seemingly velocity-sensitive screen with certain apps and the 4-speaker built in sound makes it hella loud.
I am.. The Great Kali

Love it.
Typing on one now.

Looking forward to the app developers building in split screen features.

G
Don't ask me, I just play here.

thegreatkali wrote:... seemingly velocity-sensitive screen with certain apps ...
Huh?

thegreatkali wrote:iPad Pro? I Got one. and it's f*cking awesome. It's the ultimate midi controller for today's shrinking studio era. Use it with the musicIO app via only a lightning connector and it's a done deal!

key advantages are the stronger chip, seemingly velocity-sensitive screen with certain apps and the 4-speaker built in sound makes it hella loud.
Uh. I don't think anyone here will use the buildt-in speakers, so thats a moot point. And no, they are not "good".

Second, "seemingly velocity-sensitive screen"? The iPad Pro doesn't have 3D touch.
I doubt you really own one.
Cats are intended to teach us that not everything in nature has a function | http://soundcloud.com/bmoorebeats

I saw a few iPad Pros at the Winter NAMM and I was very impressed with the size of the screen. I see a lot of potential in having that much screen real estate to work with.

But on the other hand, if I'm going to spend that much money, I'd just buy a lap top. (No offense to anyone who spent $800 or more on their tablet).
"...Save the bones for Henry Jones, 'cause Henry don't eat no meat..."

Having an iPad Air 2, I skipped the iPad Pro. It's certainly a nice device, but the first generation is too much of "just a bigger iPad" for me. By this I mean that I would have liked a bit more innovation, like force/3D touch or at least an USB-C port. I hope that the second gen iPad Pro will feature this, and then I'll pounce it. But my Air 2 is just a year old and I am extremely satisfied with it, so there was and is no strong pull to get something else (happens rarely enough that one feels this way about any kind of hardware when newer models come out). :)

The iPad Pro is cool, but it's starting to get away from what the iPad is about for me, which is on the go creativity and productivity. Sure, it's still a small and light device, relative to laptops (particularly my MBP15 retina), but I still feel as though the sweetspot is indeed the 9.7" screen. I'm really looking forward to what they do with the Air 3. I'm about due, and the battery life of my original Air is dwindling.

polaris20 wrote:... the battery life of my original Air is dwindling.
How so? Is this a problem with the iPad Air in general or just your device? Can you quantify that? (This is not a challenge. I'm just curious about what I have to look forward to).

I've had my iPad Air for almost two years but haven't noticed any depreciation in battery life yet, but I really don't use it a lot.

Thanks, in advance.
"...Save the bones for Henry Jones, 'cause Henry don't eat no meat..."

4 years still running ipad 2. It was time. This morning I picked up a 128GB Air 2. Wifi and 4G. I like the smaller screen size still. The ipad 2 is still running all my apps, but the extra horsepower of the air 2 and the extra space of 128GB both needed now as updates come out and certain apps consuming more resources. I got a used one for a great price.

The ipad Pro puts it in notebook size territory and just not what I want right now. I think the 9.7" screen is ideal for carrying around and setting up on minimal surfaces too.

Nice they came out with a bigger one for those that wanted it though.

I have a good many hardware synths now and a "no pc" studio setup except for capturing final mixes and running stereo mastering and uploads to websites, but still do songs completely in the ipad box sometimes. Having closed the PC for DAW use, I love using my ipad synths as modules too. There is a nice variety of music apps that can spice up a mix when you don't want to add more hardware. Even outputting my master mix from the mixer's usb into Meteor and uploading to websites is available, so don't really need to ever put a PC into use for music anymore.

I never thought I would get as much use out of an ipad when I was first given one for work, but I'm solidly hooked by now. 4G still gives me remote access to work anytime too.
"I am a meat popsicle"
Soundcloud Vondragonnoggin
Soundclick Wormhelmet

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”