Toughts on Maxxbass

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

ckam03, yea i know that, so its does not matter if i add these harmonics with Maxxbass or, with saturation/distortion ?

EDIT: ou, thanks, for tutorial i am gonna check it out.

Maxxbass is fantastic. Get it for a good price, sub $50 it's a perfect deal
Aiynzahev-sounds
Sound Designer - Soundsets for Pigments, Repro, Diva, Virus TI, Nord Lead 4, Serum, DUNE2, Spire, and others

You could use a subharmonic generator on certain elements such as your kick. Maxxbass would be good for stuff like that for sure.

Other tips:

- If you have a synth that outputs a good sine wave, set it up in a bus with your bass line track so it plays along. This will help emphasize your bass frequencies.

- use a multi-input analyzer so you can see all your tracks frequencys working together. Voxengo Span Plus is good for this.

- get your dynamics right. EDM often uses multi-band dynamics on the master to help make everything glue together in a pleasing way.

- Use good saturation alorithms to help bring out that extra bit of loudness. Nothing too drastic, but a little sprinkled all over our tracks can help accentuate the lows & mids. Saturation can also excite highs too.

- Try using M/S mixing modes

- try a mastering chain idea like this on your master once you get your mix the way you want it. Master channel: Multi-band compressor/dynamics such as Pro-Mb -->> Mastering EQ like Pro-Q -->> limiter like Pro-L

I just used fabfilter as an example. Since the EDM community loves their stuff.
:borg:

maxx bass is absolutely amazing. now there's a plugin that has stood the test of time.. tied with metaflanger for me as the two oldest but most useful and great sounding plugins almost 20 yrs later :)

Maxx bass can really help you get your bottom end right for smaller speakers, so what I do is switch to my iloud with maxbass on and if it sounds right in the iloud AND my adam sub then i am pretty sure it will translate well to many cars/small speakers etc.

You should also cross reference to small pc speakers as well if you have some lying around.

V0rtex wrote:Hello guys

i need help, i don't know if i need this plug for beefing up my sub-basses, i know that MaxxBass creating some harmonics and giving impression of fuller low end especially on small speakers, but i figured out that, i can reach similar effect by using controlled distortion/compression ( adding even, and odd harmonics, then filtering out that don't need).

So question is do i need this plug? do it anything else ?

Any advice will be appreciated.

sorry for my poor English.
Maxxbass is a very special thing, it's not only to add "some" harmonics... it "moves" the bass to a upper range frequency so it can be better transferred to smaller speaker systems (Waves has also a patent on this). With my knowledge there is no plugin which can do exactly the same.
Nobody knows what exactly the plugin is doing under the hood. But the resulting effect is great.
It's since years the magic weapon for bass/kick and if you can get it for a low price, I would buy it.

(there is also Renaissance Bass IMO only a easier to use version of MaxxBass... I own both but like MaxxBass more)

4damind wrote:

i need help, i don't know if i need this plug for beefing up my sub-basses, i know that MaxxBass creating some harmonics and giving impression of fuller low end especially on small speakers, but i figured out that, i can reach similar effect by using controlled distortion/compression ( adding even, and odd harmonics, then filtering out that don't need).

Maxxbass is a very special thing, it's not only to add "some" harmonics... it "moves" the bass to a upper range frequency so it can be better transferred to smaller speaker systems (Waves has also a patent on this). With my knowledge there is no plugin which can do exactly the same.
Nobody knows what exactly the plugin is doing under the hood. But the resulting effect is great.
It's since years the magic weapon for bass/kick and if you can get it for a low price, I would buy it.

(there is also Renaissance Bass IMO only a easier to use version of MaxxBass... I own both but like MaxxBass more)
:hail:

you are the first person I ever read prefers maxbass to ren bass besides me. So many posts I have read say ren bass is newer and sounds better without realising it is just streamlined maxx bass. You have so much more control in maxx bass that you can simply do a lot more with it.

and yes it is very special.

IMO MaxxBass and RBass creating the same harmonics but RBass sounds for me more coloured or is adding some more weight to the low end while MaxxBass sounds more "rough". There must be some interesting combination of compression/harmonics or they adding some additional "tube" like distortion.. no idea.
Maybe that the OP can achieve better results with RBass instead with MaxxBass. I would would make the decision after testing both versions.

Thanks u guys a really appreciate it !

V0RT3X ou, thanks for usefull tips !, i will try BUS that sub with my main basses, till now i have always Subs on separate BUS.....,already using SPAN its really handy :P. And sorry for using your Nickname :-X,

TheoM, thanks !, i definitely try that.

4damind, thanks for getting me insight to that plugin, that what i exactly looking for, so its not just adding harmonics.

I am just Newbie, but i feel like Maxxbass adding some balls to my mixes, especially when using it on master buss, without doing mix muddy. I cant reach that with saturation.

I demoing it right now.

I researched, and tried, both, in the end I went with rennbass, not because I thought that it was better, but, that waves was an experiment for me in the first place and the renn-max-bundle seemed like a better value at the time. IIRC, it was about $75 on sale with a coupon.

I use renverb, I use renmax, and I use renvox, and that's about it. I never use wave-tunelt, or whatever it is, and I don't really like the EQ U/I, nor the channel which is just a bunch of renn plugs globbed together.

In retrospect, I'm glad that I paid so little for it. I'd probably buy a couple of more plugs if they send out a $50 coupon again, but I'd be very specific.

Sorry, got a bit off topic there.

Maxxbass works wonders on thin vocals too btw. I also love Renbass, very different effects.
Aiynzahev-sounds
Sound Designer - Soundsets for Pigments, Repro, Diva, Virus TI, Nord Lead 4, Serum, DUNE2, Spire, and others

Maybe check these out to see exactly how people use it...

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=maxxbass

Honestly, I would rather just use eq than any of these plugins. It's an easy way to add a lot of mud if you're not careful - you can easily end up with that sub-riding-under-everything effect (pretty horrible in most styles of music) which was so prevalent after these plugins came out.
Mastering from £30 per track \\\
Facebook \\\ #masteredbyloz

do_androids_dream wrote:Honestly, I would rather just use eq than any of these plugins. It's an easy way to add a lot of mud if you're not careful - you can easily end up with that sub-riding-under-everything effect which was so prevalent after these plugins came out.
Yes, you can overdo it, but if you can do what it does with eq, you're better at mixing than I am. You can use EQ to enhance the harmonic regions, but it's not dynamic.

ghettosynth wrote:
do_androids_dream wrote:Honestly, I would rather just use eq than any of these plugins. It's an easy way to add a lot of mud if you're not careful - you can easily end up with that sub-riding-under-everything effect which was so prevalent after these plugins came out.
Yes, you can overdo it, but if you can do what it does with eq, you're better at mixing than I am. You can use EQ to enhance the harmonic regions, but it's not dynamic.
Well, I mix in such a way as I've never had to or thought to use such a plugin if that makes sense. Mixing low end is all about psychacoustics anyway in a way - a really weighty 'feeling' low end can be about what you take away from a certain thing - not what you add to it.
Mastering from £30 per track \\\
Facebook \\\ #masteredbyloz

TheoM wrote:
4damind wrote:

:hail:

you are the first person I ever read prefers maxbass to ren bass besides me. So many posts I have read say ren bass is newer and sounds better without realising it is just streamlined maxx bass. You have so much more control in maxx bass that you can simply do a lot more with it.

and yes it is very special.
Its the first I've read of this too, but I also prefer MaxxBass over Renaissance Bass (and yes I also have both). So good to not be alone!! :hug:

Return to “Effects”