Backup - what method do you use? How/when/where to?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Ok, let's nail this topic down once and for all. It should be a simple matter of 'get XYZ, click here and you're set'. I'm on Windows 7 64-bit.

I need a reliable way to backup my ENTIRE RIG - not just the audio folders but my whole computer should something happen. I have 3 TB of stuff in TOTAL including my internal and external drives (and a good 1 TB of that would be duplicate stuff in my external HD).

I've looked into NAS options - namely WD Cloud has some 4TB options. Now, do I use some external application to clone the entire rig into the NAS (if that's possible) or do I just get an external drive and mirror all my DAW drives as partitions or how do I approach this?

I have 8 partitions spread into 3 physical drives (1 OS, 1 internal for audio, 1 external WD passport USB 3.0 drive).

Use disk imaging for the boot and software installations, and some sort of regular syncing backup for data, eg something which runs automatically at shutdown, and just copies files which have changed.

The first one should allows you to restore the operating system to a working state without all the reinstalling etc. The second would let you regular restore lost folders, files etc on an indiviual or bullk basis.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

If you have at least one Seagate disk - look for Seagate Disc Wizard which is free - powered by Acronis. Really good and easy to use. Used for at least 5 years now. Really smooth to mount a backup and just restore certain files if you want.

Otherwise Acronis products are good, I just got True Image 2016 as an upgrade offer from Seagate Disc Wizard - if it was €29 or so. Allows making boot image disks to also restore a system disks, and some handy job setup that automatically make 5 incremental backups and then a full - a set and forget if you want. They also have a cloud option.

If you have a Western Digital hard disk there is a free version of Acronis True Image that will only work on WD disks:

http://support.wdc.com/downloads.aspx?lang=en

Think in terms of 'recovery' rather than 'doing backups'.
Your backup, what is it good for (huh, y'all) ?
Absolutely nothing unless you can use it to recover :wink:
Why won't you delete this account as I have requested Ben ?

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”