Saturator plugin recommendation?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

PSP MixSaturator2 is still my go-to.

When it's just about saturation, i really like the multiband exciter of Ozone.
And then there is the great mic preamp in the ik multimedia EQ81.

Satin is much more (and much more complex) than just saturation...
With SDRR i'm still waiting for the moment when i get some use out of it.

Don't overlook Voxengo Voxformer. It has two different kinds of saturation/drive that are very tweakable.

I also recommend Fabfilter Saturn.

Anyone mention LVC ?

Quite a few of their plugs include modelled saturation.

They're normally very cheap but currently 40% off.

They're well liked at Kvr
Amazon: why not use an alternative

djscorb wrote:Yeah Ableton's Saturator is great, I use it all the time. The Soft setting is great for inflating and the analog or digital clip settings are great for annihilating peaks. Med and Hard settings are great for louderizing things in the mix or increasing density etc.

If you set up an EQ with inverse control linking either side of Live's Saturator as described in Dan Worrall's excellent video (link below), you'll get more mileage out of any saturation/non-linear processing. You can only do this in Ableton, Studio One 3 and Reaper as far as I know because the DAW must support parameter linking and inverse parameter linking. I'm sure other software can do it but I don't know of any myself.
Sknote have just announced they will be releasing plugin called Fooler which will allow you to do the same technique, I believe it's an Eq you place before and after your saturation plugin, I think the extra sauce is that it's a Dynamic Eq
Amazon: why not use an alternative

VariKusBrainZ wrote:Anyone mention LVC ?

Quite a few of their plugs include modelled saturation.

They're normally very cheap but currently 40% off.

They're well liked at Kvr
I actually did. On page 1. But didn't know about the 40% off. GAS strikes again...

I get plenty of great saturation from PSP mixpack but also from other effects they sell which aren't intended as saturators. I use Izotope Trash which i find quite verstile, also Alloy and Ozone. Something not mentioned here that has loads of options is NI Guitar Rig. TBReelBus gives me great tape effects (as does PSP Echo sometimes.)
That Saturn video is intriguing and i have been eyeing U-he Satin which i expect i'll get when i can.
gadgets an gizmos..make noise https://soundcloud.com/crystalawareness Restocked: 3/24
old stuff http://ww.dancingbearaudioresearch.com/
if this post is edited -it was for punctuation, grammar, or to make it coherent (or make me seem coherent).

and it is official.. LSR audio BF sale..

Tube enhance for $29

bargain sale of the year. I highly recommend it to everyone. Cheers.

(check out their other stuff whilst there IMO too)

Damn he makes fine plugins.

love to try Tube Enhance but the download fails to complete every time!!!

I don't know where the LSR server is but its really slow to Oz.

TheoM wrote:and it is official.. LSR audio BF sale..

Tube enhance for $29

Ha! Now we just talked about it ... deserves an entry at BF thread, you do ?
Will demo, the VLB525 looks interesting too.
Intel i7-4790K | Gigabyte Z97X-UD3H | 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport | RME Babyface Pro | UAD PCIe Octo, Quad | Asus GT 730 | Toshiba DT01ACA200 2TB | LG GH24NSB0 | W10 Pro 64bit | S1 latest

Studio Devil plugs are 50% off at Audio Deluxe at the moment. Sorely tempted to get Virtual Tube Preamp!

My friends at DMG Audio reckon it's hands down the best modelled distortion you can get currently :)

Cheers

Scorb
I once thought I had mono for an entire year. It turned out I was just really bored...

Actually once in my cart, Studio Devil Tube Preamp was just $54.99 (£36.55).

Quite a saving on the regular price of $129 (£86.50)

Couldn't resist so picked it up. I might have to sell my license for Wavearts Tuibe Saturator as I never use it due to the CPU load and this will suite me far better :)

Cheers

Scorb
I once thought I had mono for an entire year. It turned out I was just really bored...

djscorb wrote:Actually once in my cart, Studio Devil Tube Preamp was just $54.99 (£36.55).

Quite a saving on the regular price of $129 (£86.50)

Couldn't resist so picked it up. I might have to sell my license for Wavearts Tuibe Saturator as I never use it due to the CPU load and this will suite me far better :)

Cheers

Scorb
I`m all in for diversity, especially during sales.

Atm I am sitting at several others,
can you report back cpu usage, commonly those units can be hogs.

The $35 for Mixpack 2 at MP is/was hard to beat, someone grabbed it ?
I would have snatched it right away and remained silent here if not already in arsenal :hihi:
Intel i7-4790K | Gigabyte Z97X-UD3H | 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport | RME Babyface Pro | UAD PCIe Octo, Quad | Asus GT 730 | Toshiba DT01ACA200 2TB | LG GH24NSB0 | W10 Pro 64bit | S1 latest

I have to admit I love Waves NLS as a saturator. Goes from fairly subtle to in your face distortion.

Also Soundtoys Radiator.

But for cheap, Sonimus Satson or Britson are great.

TheoM wrote:and it is official.. LSR audio BF sale..

Tube enhance for $29

Ditto! One of the best, and hugely underrated. :tu:

Return to “Effects”